5DIII: Can't get continuous 1080/30fps - what am I doing wrong?

Started by Lawless, February 01, 2015, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawless

I have a 5DIII v1.2.3 running the last build of ML for this firmware.

I can shoot continuous 24 fps at 1920X1080 but cannot seem to get up to continuous 30. I was using a Lexar 32 GB 1000x card and seeing mid-80's MB for the benchmark test. I stopped at B&H today and purchased a Lexar 64 GB 1066x hoping this would give me the boost I needed to get up to 30 fps. This card show almost identical results in the benchmark.

I have read hours of forum posts and tried turning on and off a number of settings including: Global Draw always off, Hacked preview, Card Warmup, Buffer Fill, Extra hacks - still no success.

Are some 5DIII's not capable to sustained 30 fps? Do I have bad examples of the Lexar cards? (I don't think so from what I've read on the benchmark thread).

Can someone point this rookie in the right direction? Maybe post the settings that will get me there if it isn't a hardware side problem?

Thanks.

chmee

math: 30*1920*1080*14/(8*1024*1024) = ~103 MB/s - Lexar 1066 theoretical ~150MB/s, but not in 5DIII-Slot.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

ChadMuffin

Chmee has the math right. 5D3 CF slot maxes at a speed of about 100MB/s. Doesn't matter how fast of a card you have, the bottleneck is the hardware in the camera. Even if you had a CFast card, you won't get a stable speed to continuously record 1080p 30fps. With that info, the important question is your end result or platform. If it is web, the compression will be about 2MB/s. You can easily get away with 960p and probably lower resolutions and upscaling in your editor with very reasonable results. Even a side by side comparison of the videos after they have been uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo and redownloaded, you'll see how close they are. If your production is that big that you'll be on bluray or a theater, you are probably using the wrong camera for the job. And, if your audience is pixel peeping that bad, you should disregard them anyways because they are not focusing on your story. Most filmmakers are interested in getting the best quality possible while most of the audience doesn't care or doesn't understand enough and wouldn't even notice the difference between 1080p and 720p. You may, Joe Schmo off a random street corner won't.

a1ex

Some things worth trying:
- try the old raw_rec, it's a little faster
- downgrade to 1.1.3, was reported to be a little faster
- try to record on both CF and SD at the same time, with MLV (card spanning)

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed, it is worth trying 1080p 30p (especially in crop-mode) with the good old raw-rec.mo in 1.1.3 from the latest nightlies.

I've had success rates with a fast CF card. (my 5D3's avg can push up to 105-109 MB/s with GD off & HaCkeD preview enabled)

Doesn't hurt to downgrade, either!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Lawless

Thanks for all the feedback. So people definitely are getting the 1080/30fps?

The firmware downgrade means loss of audio though, right? Also, with HacKed Preview, how can you focus or frame if the camera is moving since my HacKed preview petty much means no LiveView?

Two Lexar cards now (1000x/1066x) and I'm only getting in the mid-80's on the benchmark tests. Do you really have to hunt to find a fast card or should most of the quality brands do the trick.

Just testing with this right now and trying to get my setup down and understand where I can use it on a hobbyist level. Thanks for the feedback!

Walter Schulz

KMikhail

I got 1080/30 with GD fully off and on CF (1066x lexar)+SD (95 Sandisk).
P.S. 1.1.3