How to use MLRawViewer ?

Started by NitromanX, April 29, 2015, 06:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

Hi everyone !

Sorry to ask but I'm a photographer and a video newbie and i'm not sure how to use the fabulous MLRawViewer with my Canon 5D2 and ML Raw video.

I've downloaded the latest version 1.4.3 for Mac and read all the Read Me instructions.

I can open my .mlv files in MLRawViewer but they never seem to look like they should. When i cycle through the standard LOGs, some look better than others but many simply look dark, crushed blacks, high contrast etc. I know I can increase the exposure using the Up and Down cursor keys, but this seems to overexpose the preview image. Is this right as i'm dealing with a log file - not a traditional raw photo ?

Ideally i'd like a nice flat profile to work with, so i downloaded VisionLOG for ACR and the VisionLOG to Camera Neutral Rec709.cube files from VisionColor. I've also imported the VisionLOG to Camera Neutral Rec709.cube 3D LUT to MLRawViewer using the Shift L keys but the histogram looks underexposed. Should i now increase the exposure with the Up and Down keys to make the histogram look good or use the settings at default ?

Which LOG is best to output from ?

I'd like to export to Pro Res and grade in Final Cut Pro as I don't have Adobe Premiere or AfterEffects. I'm guesing this means first outputting 16Bit tiff files for each frame using Adobe Camera Raw and the VisionLog Camera Calibration / Profile ? Then making an Image Sequence with Quicktime Pro 7.

Also ... what camera profile should i load as a picture style for my 5D2 - ideally one that will show the full contrast range of the scene i'm shooting.

I've spent days reading through all the processing forum posts etc, but still trying to work out the best way to do all this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ... :)

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: NitromanX on April 29, 2015, 06:34:15 PM
Also ... what camera profile should i load as a picture style for my 5D2 - ideally one that will show the full contrast range of the scene i'm shooting.
Well as you do with pictures, when using RAW ( .CR2 or . MLV ), styles are useless, so none.

NitromanX

That's what i wondered ... Thanks. I'll probably use neutral and turn the contrast right down and sharpness right up to help focus.

Any advice on the other questions ? This whole LOG thing is really confusing me ...

Kharak

I would suggest using Cinestyle, it emulates visually very well the range you are actually recording. But you should always rely on RAW zebra and the Historgram for the technical aspects of the scene.
once you go raw you never go back

NitromanX

Thanks Kharak ... I'll set the Picture Style in camera to Cinestyle then. :)

What about all the LOG settings in MLRawViewer ? Any idea which one i should choose when i output ? As i mentioned, some look really dark and the MLRawViewer histogram is weighted to the left.

Is this normal for LOG footage as the preview never looks good ? ;)

Am i best to output to MOV or to DNG ?

Licaon_Kter

With MOV you're kinda stuck with whatever (LUT etc) you export it.
With DNGs you can tweak them at you hearts content, provided your favourite app can load DNG sequences that is.

NitromanX

Thanks Licaon-Kter ;)

So do MOV's have less leeway for grading than DNGs ?

I thought LMRawViewer exported MOV's in Prores 4444 so that means it's 12 bit and contains all the raw data ? Is that right ?

What about the MLRawViewer preview ? Should i get the image to look as normal as possible by chosing a default LOG ? What about the histogram - they always seem to look weighted to the left and dark. Should i increase Exposure in MLRawViewer until the preview image looks ok as then the highlights seem to blow out ?

Am i also right in saying that FCP X currently doesn't currently support the import of MLRawViewer dngs as an image sequence, so i need to use Quicktime Pro 7 to Export Tiffs or Jpgs ?

I just can't seem to find any solid info on all this and i've spent days reading through all the forum. As mentioned, I don't have AfterEffects or Resolve.

Kharak

start reading in Post Processing section. Its all there.

This thread is the top post in Raw Post Processing section: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13402.0
once you go raw you never go back

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: NitromanX on April 30, 2015, 07:43:26 AM
I just can't seem to find any solid info on all this and i've spent days reading through all the forum. As mentioned, I don't have AfterEffects or Resolve.
Get Resolve Lite (Win/Mac) or Nuke/Studio non-commercial (Win/Mac/Lin), they're free.