Wide angle lens adapters, and external recorders (maybe others)...

Started by emphram, February 01, 2015, 07:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphram

So I'm using a 600D, and I want a good wide angle lens adapter for my 18-55mm kit lens for using in 3X crop mode recording, but I'm not sure which one is best suited for this? I want to in essence, get the same FOV as if the 3X crop wasn't there to get non lineskipped video with a kit lens. Any recommendations?

As for external recorders, like the Atomos Ninja Star, is the video recorded on the 600D significantly better? (I understand that there is some cropping required). Would this device also be useful on the t4i and t5i and other newer gen models?

All I can think of for now, but if I have other questions, I'll just post here.

dmilligan

Quote from: emphram on February 01, 2015, 07:11:36 AM
I want a good wide angle lens adapter
There is no such thing. If you want to shoot wider angles, get a wider angle lens. I might recommend the new Canon 10-18mm EF-S. It basically a cheaper replacement for a lens I own and love, the Canon 10-22mm. Sigma also has a lens in this same ballpark, the Sigma 10-20mm that I have heard good things about.

kihlbahkt

Canon 10-22 is an awesome lens. I have one in my possession right now, but it is borrowed from a friend for indoor work in February.  I have used an adapter and they will give you a wide FOV but the image quality may be less than desirable. Depending on what you are doing the adapter is significantly cheaper. If you need the best image possible, drop the money and buy a lens.
600D x2

emphram

I don't need a wider FOV in the sense that I want the FOV of an 11mm, I just want the FOV of an 18mm when I engage 3X crop mode at 18mm. I know that wide angle lens adapters cause blurriness around the edges but with the 3x crop I think most of it would be gone correct?