600D and White Balance on video...

Started by emphram, January 21, 2015, 02:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emphram

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here would like to discuss how they white balance before shooting video? I play it by eye and usually get it right or close enough that very little CC is needed, but sometimes I do miss the mark. Is there a more  methodical way using magic lanterns histogram, vector scope or other tools? Please share!  ;)

dmilligan

The best way to get a good white balance is to use a grey card. You can have ML run an auto white balance when you press SET. Hold the grey card in front of the camera and then press SET.

emphram

I already do this, but I'm wondering if there isn't another way that might be more precise. I did come across an article where you manually adjust the white balance using a grey a card and histogram and I think I might experiment with that for now.

N/A

Use a high quality grey card under even lighting, you can even defocus on it to see if that helps. And I specify high-quality because I've ordered two different cheapo grey cards from the internet and they were both totally different shades of grey. >_<
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

emphram

I might get a couple dozen or more printed at a cheap price with one of the printing companies I occasionally do work with (not sure if a non reflective plastic would be the right material, or matte paper), maybe I'll end up selling them wholesale.