USB port is not working on 550D/T2i

Started by Roll Tide, August 28, 2012, 12:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roll Tide

I have been a big fan of Magic Lantern since I purchased my T2i and installed version 2011.11.11 on it. It functioned and performed great. When I updated to 2011.12.22 my USB port would no longer work with any computer. I could find nobody else that had this issue so I figured it was a fluke or something with my camera. But it didn't bother me because I didn't use the EOS software anyway.

Now I want to use the EOS software and connect the T2i to an android tablet. I have just recently tried uninstalling ML and reformatting the SD cards without any change. I installed ML 2.3 in hopes that it would solve my problem, but alas it did not. No matter what computer or android tablet that I plug the camera into, it doesn't do anything when plugged in. No "BUSY" popup on the camera LCD. No notification sound on the computer. The computer continues to see the USB slot as empty.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this? Or what I can do to fix it? Thank you.

Michael Zöller

It does sound like a hardware defect and not software related. Have you tried different USB cables? Have you examined the port for possible defects, broken/bent pins, etc?
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Roll Tide

Yes. I have tried multiple cable. Each cable that I used works fine with my Zoom H4 recorder. I just inspected the port, and to my knowledge it appears to be fine. No broken or bent pins.

Michael Zöller

On the software side, you might want to disable the autoboot flag, reset your camera to defaults and re-install current canon firmware.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Roll Tide

I'll give that a try this afternoon. Thank you.

joshwrb

I am having the same problem. I tried reinstalling the canon firm ware and the usb still didn't work. Is there anything else I can do?