MLV File naming

Started by beauchampy, November 19, 2015, 08:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beauchampy

Anyone else come across the issue if you record a clip and within the same minute you switch card and record another clip you get duplicate file names?

Is there another option for naming convention other than DD-HHMM ?

DeafEyeJedi

Excellent thought, I came across this situation quite few times myself and admittedly it can be rather frustrating.

However, I just try to highlight them with different colors and try to batch them separately so that none of the ML tools don't get confused or literally overwrite within each other due to the same exact MLV file naming.

Props up, @beauchampy!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

beauchampy

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on November 20, 2015, 02:41:02 AM
Excellent thought, I came across this situation quite few times myself and admittedly it can be rather frustrating.

However, I just try to highlight them with different colors and try to batch them separately so that none of the ML tools don't get confused or literally overwrite within each other due to the same exact MLV file naming.

Props up, @beauchampy!

Yeah, I just try not to batch things separately. I like to sleep while the DNGs are created. FYI my work around is to use Automator (mac) and batch add a prefix to all files on the card. Like I add 'A01-XXX' to the contents of the first card I shoot, 'A02-XXX; to the second, etc. That way each card has unique names and no overwriting if a duplicate file name does occur.

It'd be nice to have another naming convention though.. Like if there was something unique to the CF card which could prefix the file names.

DeafEyeJedi

Point taken. Since you are on a Mac as well as I am -- have you tried using @Danne's latest cr2hdr-r?

It works really well and I usually get goodnight sleeps because it's Automator service workflow sings beautifully overnight when needed.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109