5D3 firmware 1.3.3 available from Canon Latin America

Started by lintoni, January 28, 2015, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Fine!
Disconnect USB. Switch cam to photo mode. Liveview off. Connect USB between cam and computer.
http://addedoptimization.com/5d-mark-iii-firmware-update-using-canon-eos-utility/

Results?

NitromanX

@ Nightphotographer - did it work ? I'm wanting to buy 5D3 but need to be able to install ML for 1.2.3. :)

NightPhotographer

It didn't work for me. It's still greyed out.  :( I'd really appreciate it if somebody could share an older version of the EOS Utility otherwise, I have to return the camera.

Walter Schulz

Don't have a 5D3 at hand.
I just downloaded and installed EOS Solution disk 29.1A and started EOS Utiility 2 in Windows 8.1. Version info tells: V 2.14.10.2 (Copyright Canon INC. 2006-2014).
No problem accessing 7D's firmware menu in EOS Utility with/without card inserted.
Installation-exe tells Sep/06/2014.
Everything is telling me that *is* an old version (older than fw 1.3.3). Which EOS Utility version are you running? Which OS?

DeafEyeJedi

@NightPhotographer:

No need to return your 5D3. We'll get you on board. If someone has successfully downgraded with EOS Utility in the past from 133 to 123 or 113.

Need to know which firmware are you running in EOS Utility as well as OS as @Walter Schulz asked...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

chris_overseas

It's an interesting development if Canon have blocked downgrading from EOS Utility too.

I've updated back and forth between 1.2.3 and 1.3.3 several times without issue using EOS Utility 3.1.0.0. I don't have the original installer for it unfortunately but here's a zip of the C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon directory that contains the installed version. Hopefully it'll work without the installer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtrxcn8eluk0dbw/Canon.zip?dl=0

[Edit: I just tried running the above on a Win 8.1 x64 PC that doesn't have EOS Utility installed and it does appear to run just fine. If someone tries and successfully downgrades from 1.3.3 using the above .zip please let me know and I'll update this post]
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

NightPhotographer

I was running EOS Utility 3.2.10 on windows7 64x. At the moment, I am at work. As soon as I return home, I'll download the Solution Disk and give it a try. Walter is right, the release of Solution Disk dates back to September 2014 while that of the EOS Utility dates back to March 2015. I hope this solves the problem.
Thanks for the information.

NightPhotographer

eraizgn

Hello guys

I need to learn to use which eos utility version for downgrade.. I have two mark iii and want to install ML to them. And firmwares are 1.3.3 so what I need to do?

eraizgn

I already checked it out, man.. Little bit confused about which utility has to be used.. Could you tell me step by step for understanding clearly?

Walter Schulz

archa

Ive downgraded my firmware from 1.3.3 to 1.1.3 and install magic lantern last build. It works if you have any issue during a installation I can share my steps

krislinus

On March 23, 2015 Walter Schulz wrote: "A proper 1.3.3 port is on it's way."
Anyone know of this is cancelled or coming?

Or what disadvantages are there by downgrading to 1.2.3?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: krislinus on May 30, 2016, 09:16:07 PM
Anyone know of this is cancelled or coming?

It is not cancelled.
So: Yes, it is coming. But - as written frequently - ML project doesn't have deadlines ...

Quote from: krislinus on May 30, 2016, 09:16:07 PM
Or what disadvantages are there by downgrading to 1.2.3?

Not being able to use all the enhancements coming with 1.3.3, I think.
And that's the very reason porting to 1.3.3 has such low priority: Improvements are kind of underwhelming.

deggen

Just wanted to add my success here:

Found firmware for downgrading from mac OSX here:
1.2.3 at http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/a044ae75822c851b6ae1cd69a555c7ca/578cf916/4a752/4/1?tsf=0

Had to use EOS Utility 2 (from standard site)

What I neglected was the little switch around the start/stop button which needs to be set to picture mode. once that was done - everything worked.

Cheers folks!

epgui

Quote from: Walter Schulz
It is not cancelled.
So: Yes, it is coming. But - as written frequently - ML project doesn't have deadlines ...

Understood and quite appreciated, but why is there no 5D3-133 branch on bitbucket?

I'm new to magic lantern, but I'd like to contribute if I can.

chris_overseas

I started work on a 1.3.3 port some time ago. It works, but there are some bugs (eg flickering menus) and it hasn't been thoroughly tested. I made a pull request here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/605/support-for-5d3-firmware-133/diff

Unfortunately I also managed to break the link between the pull request and my repo (sorry all!), but the original code can still be found here:

https://bitbucket.org/chris_miller/magic-lantern/branch/5D3-133

There hasn't been any activity on this for a long time now, partly because I am short of time and skills to take the port much further, partly because I regularly need my camera in the real world and constantly changing firmware versions for testing gets in the way of that, also because 1.3.3 isn't that different to 1.2.3 so there hasn't been much incentive for anyone to finish getting it stable and merged in to its own branch. Ideally I'd like to see the 5D3-113-and-123 branch merged in to unified as a default (so we get regular nightlies for 123), then the 133 support added to that (with the eventual goal of it superceding the 123 support) but there's still quite a lot of work required for that to happen.

If you're able to build, test and provide detailed feedback the 1.3.3 code, it would be a very good step in the right direction.

Quote from: epgui on November 23, 2016, 03:11:10 AM
Understood and quite appreciated, but why is there no 5D3-133 branch on bitbucket?

I'm new to magic lantern, but I'd like to contribute if I can.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

TrEK

Walter Schulz

Read installation instructions on download page.