Help with best settings for raw video on a Canon 700D

Started by astroskyisme, January 24, 2015, 06:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astroskyisme

Hello,  im new.
I got the 700D latest nightly build firmware and downloaded the files then i proceeded to drag them on a freshly formatted card from the canon menu. i then installed the firmware from the update menu like it said to do. I got well antiquated with most of the setting from the hack its self. Now what i really want to try is raw video mode. Whats the max res i can do for this camera with a 90/mb write time sd card? yes i know the 700D is limited in the internal sd controller its self but i need to know the best settings i can get out of raw that i can just shoot and get started after converting of course. One more thing. I noticed the res is goes low in raw.......why would someone want to show in sayyyy 720p raw when you can shoot in 1080p? It confuses me slightly but im all about the best quality i can get.
Im thinking that because raw is uncompressed that you end up with more info in say 720p in raw than in 1080p compressed.
Is that what it is? Even if i do go full 720p raw, with it being uncompressed and all dose that mean i can upscale it back to 1080p and it still look good?   I just reallllly need to know this info. Im sorry im being a big bother.  Iv read lots of things on here and still can find the info needed.   The card i have is a PNY Elite Profromance / 32gb (class 10) 90mb/s  Sd card. Is that good enough for raw?

thanks for anything in advance. really thanks. :D

astroskyisme

btw one more question if you dont mind.
With this regular raw mode of 1280x540 and 24fps after i end up up scaling it back to 1080p would it still end up looking better than say the regular 1080p with most cameras? Thats what i reallly want to know..ohh and i did a test shot of the raw and it seems to add this weriiid thing in the middle that kinda looks like a grid? its kinda pink and stuff..i mean its not CRAZY but like its there and it bothers me and idk why it is there :/ is my camera broken? ohh one more thing if i use it and i look at the color red or something you can see these flying red dots eveyryyyyyyryyyy where :/

DigitalVeil

Hi! Welcome.

1. As long as your card can write (not just read) above 40MB/s, you're golden.

2. The bitrate of 720p raw is wayyyy higher than the default compressed 1080p (like 6x higher) so yes, much more information is being recorded as far as dynamic range, color range, and detail are concerned.  Unfortunately I don't have a side-by-side comparison to give, but personally I'd say raw 720p upscaled to 1080p (or even just left at 720p) looks better than Canon's h264 1080p, especially considering the extra flexibility you get in post. HOWEVER... you're not strictly limited to 720p.  Obviously going from 16:9 to cinema-standard 2.39:1, you can get higher resolution.  You can get at least 1504x630, possibly even 1536x642.  In fact, you can go even higher than that for short clips (maximum for the 700D's sensor is 1728 wide).  The higher the resolution, the shorter the clip you'll be able to capture before recording stops. 

But that's not all - if you go into 1280p60 mode (through the Canon menu) you can squash your video vertically, sacrificing vertical resolution for extra horizontal resolution.  In "squashed mode" with 2.39:1 aspect ratio, you can record at the maximum width, 1728x516 24fps continuously, and then stretch your footage vertically by 1.4x in post to get a normal-looking image.  You can even go up to 2.20:1 aspect ratio with 1728 width and 24fps before hitting the 40MB/s limit.

3. For future reference, in the raw capabilities chart linked by Rshred, the 700D is identical to the 650D in most respects.

4. The "pink grid" you are describing is a well-known problem with every 700D and 650D, your camera's not broken.  Those are "focus pixels" use for AF and current there's no way around them, but they can be removed.  See my post here for instructions on how to remove them: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14218.msg137317#msg137317
(short version: use raw2cdng with chroma smoothing 2x2 enabled).

5. As far as the "flying red dots," I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before.  Could you possible show an example of this?
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM