Stuck at 640x480 30FPS on Canon 50D

Started by uxicorp, January 22, 2015, 07:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uxicorp

Hi, I've been trying for several weeks to get my camera to change to a higher resolution. When I try to change the "Movie Record" setting to another resolution, the only options I get are totally OFF or 640x480 30FPS. When I turn On HDR Video, it records just white flicker. I don't really care about HD anyway - Just want to get the darn thing to up the resolution.

Any suggestions?

On a related topic, how do I change the frame rate to 29.97 drop? I am recording on a second HD camera and like to edit between but that camera is 29.97.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Modules tab -> Load RAW_REC.MO or MLV_REC.MO. Restart cam. Access movie tab and configure RAW/MLV settings.

uxicorp

Thanks. Ok, now when I go to the menu and go to RAW video (MLV) the only option is 1568x882 or none (off). The Movie Record still says 640x480.

Thoughts?

uxicorp

RAW video (MLV)  is also greyed out BTW

Walter Schulz

Please take some time to search for RAW/MLV basics.

Abstract: Default RAW/MLV recording will grab frames from liveview. What you see and record is liveview's "native" resolution because 50D (as most Canon EOS) only uses every third line (line skipping). Canon's 1080p is just upscaled liveview resolution (exception: 5D3).
You might get problems with moiré. Avoidable with VAF. But there is no VAF for 50D, I'm afraid.
If you activate crop mode and  zoom in (5x) you avoid line skipping. But FOV is reduced.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

uxicorp

Thanks Walter. This looks highly technical so will try and read through it to understand.

Just to summarize - there is no feature on the 50D that allows you to just dial down the resolution then, correct?

uxicorp

Been trying everything and still confused. It does seem from the thread that there is some way to change the resolution - but it seems my choices are 640x480 or full HD with no in between. What am I missing?

ilovedannyj

Did you ever find a solution this? Mines doing the same thing ..  :-\

favvomannen

mine is the same. cant change the resolution even in crop mode. plz help.  running latest ml build.

a1ex

When all else fails, have a look at the source code:

{
        .name       = "Movie Record",
        .priv       = &lv_movie_select,
        .select     = lv_movie_toggle,
        .select_Q   = lv_movie_size_toggle,
        .update     = lv_movie_print,
        .help       = "Enable movie recording on 50D :) ",
        .depends_on = DEP_LIVEVIEW,
    },

This is ancient code (2011), so patches to improve usability are welcome ;)

favvomannen

ok, im no programmer, but what should i look at that code for. What can i see?

I have a 650d also so i think i know how to do. it just dont work on the 50d :o i think i got it to work first time i tried but never got it to work a second time.

im stuck at 1600×690 in crop mode. cant get higher rez in crop?