VOTE: hardware CF-SATA adapter

Started by igor-lm, January 21, 2015, 11:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

igor-lm

Greetings to all ML community!

I am starting a vote to find out how many people here are interested in CF-to-SATA hardware adapter specially build for Canon DSLR's with CF slot.

1st concept: It will look like a Battery Grip BG-E11 and big enough to fit a 2,5" SSD horizontally and also include battery inside to power both camera and SSD, internal hardware I\O controller with CF data cable and external data cable with dummy CF card at the end of it.  It will be compatible with individual camera model and have hardware interface (switches) to manage partitions in SSD.

Supposed price is US$ 250.

2nd concept: It will look like fully external device compatible with virtually any device using CF slot. It also contains internal hardware I\O controller to transfer data between CF slot and SATA 2.5" SSD  and power supply included.

Supposed price is US$ 350.

Please vote what option you will choose if they actually exist?

1. 1st option. Specifically designed for my camera model. (Choose your camera)
2. 2nd option. Universal but more bulky.
3. I don't what such adapter anyway. Cheaper and more simple option is to buy fast CF card.
4. None of any options. (please share your opinion in the topic)

To vote please follow surveymonkey.com https://surveymonkey.com/s/VMVMY5P

chmee

First, this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5470.0
You should first show a functional prototype with datarate-benchmarks, after that you can continue ;)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

igor-lm

Sure if there will be a real demand on such device)

Andy600

I'm been wondering if there is anywhere in the hardware where you could tap the sensor output and send it to an SDI board/connector. It's very unlikely I know but might be worth exploring.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

chmee

@igor-lm
there is for sure, but dont start the same thing as you can read in the mentioned thread. alpha, alpha,alpha, near prototyped emulation, death..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

igor-lm

I am disappointed because of very few replies. I hoped that there will be more. As for now I can see only 9 votes and one in the topic.  But still I can see in the stats that people are interested in version compatible with Canon 5D Mark III only.

Here are screens:

And link to results page https://ru.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-SCK3WK5V/

walter_schulz

You have been warned by chmee in his first reply:
"You should first show a functional prototype with datarate-benchmarks, after that you can continue"

ItsMeLenny

In addition, you should have held the vote in the forums using the poll functionality.

jose_ugs

@igor-lm this thread is a few days old... what do you expect, and @ItsMeLenny is right, why create a poll outside ML?
anyways: +1, and you should really go the prototype route
#1, 5DMIII

igor-lm

Can't find option to post vote (poll) inside this forum may be until admin adds it or simply permits using it.

The vote is to check a market demand (big of small). The more customers will be the cheaper is price of final product.

To make a working prototype I am searching for a chip to:

1. Transfer data between CF port to SATA SSD at minimum 90 MB\sec in real conditions.
2. Be compatible with Canon 5D Mark III CF slot (will be recognized correctly)

For example, I found Jmicron JMH330. It boasts theoretical speed 150 MB\sec according to datasheets. http://jmicron.com/product0206.html
I sent a question to Jmicron about what will be practical speed. I want from them to confirm both features and only after that I will ask them to make some tests. Keep in mind that these guys from Jmicron are developers of this chip can give most support about their product.

Also there are a lot of noname and brand chip makers on market, I need some time to communicate with support to find suitable chip.

If I will not find such chip I need to order the development and production of a new one by Chinese chip manufactures. The cost of production depends directly on quantity. To produce only 100 chips will require huge amount of money, it will be not commercially profitable. The price per chip may be over 1000$. The plastic body, power cells, etc. doesn't require so much money to manufacture because of rather simple manufacturing process. That's why before having dialogue with Foxconn :) for example who can assemble final product I need to see via vote if the full potential is 100+ units, 1000+ units or even more.

arrinkiiii

A good way to get the money is by kickstarter...

Kharak

I vote yes ofcourse

But when you mention Megabytes, please write them accordingly... Too many "scams" for people who don't know the difference between MB and Mb.. And frankly its just confusing to read cause I can't be 100% sure if you are talking about MB or Mb.

Do you mean mb as MegaBytes or Megabits?
once you go raw you never go back

igor-lm

@arrinkiiii Kickstarter is good way to use when making mass product. This adapter is very niche product.
@Kharak I edited post to fix misunderstanding.