Resolution problems in Resolve

Started by stevefancypix, January 20, 2015, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefancypix

Really peculiar results after I MLV dump in osx Terminal,

I have viewed simple 10second footage in MlRawViewer, resolution of footage is confirmed at 1920x1080, which is what my camera settings were.  I perform an MLV dump in the osx Terminal as shown here:

(I have tried converting the files with MLVMystic as well and have achieved the same result.)

I've reformatted the CF card from FAT32 to exFAT. I was pretty sure this wouldn't have any effect on the resolution.

I then bring in the footage to Resolve 9 Paid and the resolution of the DNG files say 128x84 8bit and looks terrible! Not a usable image in any way. Is there a setting i'm missing in Resolve? or something i'm doing wrong that would cause this?

I feel like I have narrowed down the problem with either the MLV conversion process or Resolve.

please help!

dmilligan

Do not double post: Forum Rules

For Resolve you need to use a converter that outputs proper CDNGs. mlv_dump (and MLVMystic which is just a GUI wrapper for mlv_dump) does not output CDNGs (just plain old DNGs). There's not a whole lot of difference, but the result is problems like the one you are facing (the reason you see 128x84, is b/c Resolve is actually using the embedded preview instead of the main image, CDNGs are not supposed to have embedded previews).

Here are some programs that output CDNGs compatible with Resolve:

MLVFS
MLRawViewer
The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Note: I have submitted a PR that will give mlv_dump the ability to output proper CDNGs. Once merged, mlv_dump will also output Resolve compatible CDNGs, but everything is not quite completed yet.