STACK FOCUS

Started by jbuy41, July 17, 2012, 05:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbuy41

I have tried to use "stack focus" and doesn't work.  Using canon niffy fifty, 35-70mm 3.5f, sigma zoom 200mm. with a 550.

Is there something I am not doing.  Cannot find the exact steps.  Also use Helicon software with great success.

beatsgo

Make sure you're using live view before using stack focus.

jbuy41

I am using live view.  Why is there no "end point menu showing" as seen in video?  Using the latest download.

jbuy41

Okay.  I found the hidden menu was off.  It shows "focus end point" but it is greyed out and does not function.  Am I using the wrong lens or what?  Maybe I am just getting to old to try new stuff.

a1ex

Press SET, press LEFT/RIGHT and use the RC2 before reprting menu issues.

jbuy41

Guess with 142 IQ and master degree, I guess Im just plain stupid.  I reserched stack focus for over a day.  The videos are not matching my menus.  For instance it doesnt show "steps from here".  I hit the set and used the r - l buttons,  hit set for end point, but what do I hit to start near point?  The documentation that came with the new download is very brief. There has to be step by step instructions out there. 
It took me quite a  to get the guts to go on this forum.   And more so to reply.  Sorry for the "complaining".

a1ex

After you press LEFT/RIGHT, do not reset it by pressing SET again, just run the stack focus.

You focus to the end point, press SET (end point is here), then press LEFT/RIGHT to move to the start point (but the end point remains there). Done - it's now configured.

If you have better writing skills, just edit the user guide. There are step by step instructions right inside ML menu (press INFO or DISP).

jbuy41

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Had difficulty in focusing on starting point using the R-L buttons.  At first, my end result was shaky looking.  I found that mirror lockup and using Self timer cured that problem.  Sure beats the method I was using... having to manually focusing each step and being very careful not to shake the out of focus when touching the camera.

Thanks again Alex.

a1ex

BTW, I've just found out that pressing SET on Focus end point while in LiveView did not match the help description, should be OK in next update.

screamer

hey jbuy41, i had some problems too to use correctly the focus stacking in the past. After reading well the guides and try by myself i found a workflow that works very well, and it's esay to use (for me).

1. activate the follow focus from the focus magic lantern menu
2. switch the liveview on
3. now you have live view with the FF++ FF-- on the screen. Now you go to the focus you want to use to start (you can go manually, or with autofocus, or using the arrow keys (up a down go fast, left and right more precise adjustments).
4. When you are on the starting focus point for you stack, return in the magic lantern menu, and  go to focus end point, and press set.
5. now you are again in live view and should have something like: Focus End Point: 0, not configured
6. use the main wheel (not the one on the back, but the one you use for the shutter time, the one near to the shutte button. If you turn clockwise the focus point go near you, if counterclockwise the focus goes far from you (i use always this, because i set first the nearest point of focus, but it can works in all the 2 ways).
7. when you turn the wheel you can see the on screen text changing, and saying the number of steps between the start point and where you are (for example it says: Focus End Point: +18 steps from here)
8. When arrived on the last point of focus, go again in the ml menu, go to rack focus, and then press "set" (i don't know if this part is really needed for focus stacking, but is useful to see if the range is correct, because the focus returns from the last point to the first that you have selected in point 4.
9. when the rack focus is finished and you are again in the starting point, simply go again in ml menu, set Stack focus to snap and then you are ready for taking the shots. You take the first, and magic lanter do the rest.

Hope it helps, anyway i've wrote a tutorial about focus stacking using magic lantern, but because i'm italian and my english is not so clear, at this time my tutorial is in the hands of Bart, that will correct and structure it, and hope soon you can see it in this site, as an article or something like this ;)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

jbuy41

SCREAMER

You are a blessing.  I tried for ever to get the right focus.  I would see set 0 confg and couldnt understand.

A big THANK YOU.

screamer

:) yes, i remember the first time i wanted to try focus stack, and don't know if the problem was me or magic lantern, and was me :)) when you remind the right progression of things to do it becomes quite easy.
Anyway, what i posted is the "long" method, i like it because i like to see with rack focus where i'm started and when i finish my stack, but if you are in a hurry here is a walkthrough for focus stacking in a second:

1. go to magic lantern menu, activate follow focus, and stack focus to snap (i let it there always really)
2. go to live view and set your first point where you want and with the method you want (autofocus, manual, arrow keys)
3. go to magic lantern and press set over the focus end point
4. now you are in liveview, turn the whell to your finish point
5. press the shutter button to take the stack

;)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

jbuy41

I tried the short method, but I get just 1 picture in my stack (1/1).

Francis

Quote from: jbuy41 on July 19, 2012, 04:39:44 AM
I tried the short method, but I get just 1 picture in my stack (1/1).

Check the step-size setting.

jbuy41

The problems I have been having is mainly hitting "set" key after I focus the end point.  Just snap it....dont hit set and it works.  Also, step is set at 1.  Dont understand step, not any menu help on what it does.   Put it on 3 and I get 1 picture.
Also, I took it off focus.  It seems to interfer with my favorite "wave" function.

DSMsoft

Hello!

I've got a problem with focus stacking on my Canon 50D with EF100 f/2.8L lens.

I followed the instructions below in details, and it worked, but not very good. In particular, when I start focus rack or take video or start shooting when focus end and start points are selected, focus does not go the whole way and stops somewhere in the middle. When focus step equal 3 the situation is better, but, I believe, just because for the larger the error in focus position is less noticeable. For focus step 1 or 2 the focus never goes the full length between start and end points. Could somebody please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Quote from: screamer on July 19, 2012, 02:39:26 AM

1. go to magic lantern menu, activate follow focus, and stack focus to snap (i let it there always really)
2. go to live view and set your first point where you want and with the method you want (autofocus, manual, arrow keys)
3. go to magic lantern and press set over the focus end point
4. now you are in liveview, turn the whell to your finish point
5. press the shutter button to take the stack

Thank you.

jbuy41

It could be a lens issue.  Have you tried using other lens?

jbobet

Quote from: jbuy41 on January 25, 2013, 06:20:32 PM
It could be a lens issue.  Have you tried using other lens?

There is a key issue....
The focus switch in the lens must be turned to AF. If it is in MF position it doesn't work.
I had this problem at first. Then I realized the focus switch was in a wrong position.

This should solve your problem.

jbuy41

Thanks j, I checked that it is on AF.  Seems like a lens compatibility issue.

Francis

Try changing the step size and delay.