Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodders

Thank you ArcziPL, Fantastic :)
i will download and have a play with it, hopefully it can do what I am after and keep me occupied for a while.
Thank you so very much  : :D

aoraki

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 08, 2020, 01:01:19 AM
FPS override feature currently not available on 70D.

That's a pity - mainly because while most people want to go up I would like to go down to maybe 2 fps. I see it as logical that one takes timelapses without making a zillion photos ( reducing shutter count and shear post production work) by using video. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Cheers

Walter Schulz

Go up 3 replies and follow link.

aoraki

Thanks Walter - will give that a try. Assuming I can figure out how to install it on the card with the other build already there.

OlRivrRat

@ Aoraki

You can simply create a New Folder on Your Card & Move Your Existing

autoexec.bin

ML Folder

ML-SETUP.FIR

Into that Folder & then add the New Build Counterparts onto the Cards Root Level ~

Or if You choose not to keep the OldBuild on the Card, Just Erase & Replace ~

ORR~DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

olam84

Hello, I would really like to help. I have no knowledge of coding but if I could help with anything else... I'll be glad to do it!  :D

Walter Schulz

Consider learning to code.

aoraki

@OlRivrRat  Great that worked well - just stuck it on another card I had

bincema24

Hello guys I'm new in the forum and I've been looking everywhere but I couldn't find a post where I can find the features of ML in all the cameras. I am looking to buy the 5d3, EOS M or the 70D and install ML.
I wanted to know what crop factors, fps and resolutions that the 3 can handle. If you know where I can find that info, please share a link.
Thank you.

drmoreau

Hey guys. I haven't played with RAW on the 70D in over a year, or maybe two. What's the current modules folks are running and where can I get them?

Just looking for the quickest, simplest setup to get as close to 1080p continuous as possible. Thanks!

Nigel95

I'm a Canon 200d shooter and it looks very interesting to swap to the 70d to shoot 1080 raw and upscale it to 4k at the end for YT. I also use my gimbal quite a lot so I also need 1080p 50p raw. I do love DPAF on my 200d and the tracking feature is very handy. Is that possible at all with 1080 raw to have good continous AF on a gimbal and tracking features? Then it would be the perfect cam for me at such a price point.

In short is the 70d with magic lantern able to give me continous AF / DPAF, higher framerates like 50p and raw with much higher quality than standard canon 8bit .h264 footage of my 200d?

I was looking into the EOS M but the lack of DPAF and flip screen makes it hard to use on my gimbal. 

How stable is the 70d? I don't need to record long clips. Just a lot of short clips to make a cinematic sequence.

Regarding the 1832x1024 resolution. Could I just make a timeline in Premiere pro based on 1832x1024 and when I edited the whole sequence upscale it to UHD before posting to YT?

Any other issues need to be aware off? Let me know.

My plan is to use a preset to get a reasonable base in MLV and then make prores files and edit and grade further in Premiere.

IDA_ML

Nigel95,

I have the 100D and in the regular RAW video mode (RVM), at 1736x976 and the Movie crop mode (MCM) at 1800x1012 resolution it can provide stable RAW video recording at 42 fps with SD-card overclocking active.  You get about 8-10 sec. recording time at that fps in both modes.   The MCM is a 1x1 mode which provides the best possible quality that you can expect from RAW video, (no aliasing !!!), but you will have to accept the quite large crop factor.  The RVM is a full sensor readout mode with no crop factor but it is a 3x3 mode meaning that you may end up with some aliasing in that mode.  If you learn how to avoid it, you can get stunning quality RAW video that upscales nicely to 4k for Youtube. Please watch Zeek's videos on that matter.  He creates miracles with his EOS-M in the RVM and makes very useful suggestions on how to avoid aliasing when filming and reduce it in post if it occurs in critical scenes.

For gimbal work, the EF-S 10-18/IS is your lens.  It is stabilized and works very well with the 100D in the above modes.  The camera has tracking focus but it is slow and sluggish and sometimes hunts.  I wouldn't use it, moreover, it is not needed for the above lens due to its large DOF.  Video quality is fantastic - nothing to do with the the built-in H.264 video.  So, if you can live without DPAF and flip screen, the 100D and the EOS-M are  excellent and cheap ML-capable alternatives to your 200D.  If you are willing to spend some more, the 700D also has the flipped screen and may be very attractive too, especially with the latest real time preview improvements by TheBilalFakhouri.

Nigel95

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 01, 2020, 09:15:58 AM
The RVM is a full sensor readout mode with no crop factor but it is a 3x3 mode meaning that you may end up with some aliasing in that mode.  If you learn how to avoid it, you can get stunning quality RAW video that upscales nicely to 4k for Youtube.

For gimbal work, the EF-S 10-18/IS is your lens. 

Oh yeah I have the 10-18, 60mm macro and sigma 18-35 1.8 already. Love this glass collection from uwa to macro abilities. The ML crop mode with my canon 60mm is also very nice for super close up footage. What I don't like about the 10-18 sometimes is the large dof. For my kind of shooting style (indoor and more close ups as well) I love to have the sigma 18-35 on a gimbal and play around with small DOF. This is where DPAF really helps or all shots will be like rack focus.

IDA_ML

Nigel95,

Aliasing occurs along straight contrast lines and edges (e. g. power lines) as a result of line skipping horizontally and vertically.  You will barely notice it on your aquarium shots, especially if you film on a tripod.  It will be more perceptible in your gimbal shots due to camera motion and inability to avoid contrast edges and straight lines but overall video quality will still be much better than the built-in H.264.  I do not have the 70D and cannot comment on its DPAF capabilities.  You will have to borrow it and check it out by yourself before purchase.  But if you expect it to track focus like the R5 and R6, forget it.

andy kh

Auto focus works great but the problem with my 70D is aliasing and moire. I have unistall ML from my 70D. Im not sure if its only my camera or other 70D users are also facing the moire aliasing issue.
I started shooting raw with my 550D and than 650D. They were much better than my 70D in terms of moire and aliasing
5D Mark III - 70D

yokashin

For filming in raw I bought eos m. 70D I tried but I was not delighted with the final effect ...
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

ShootMeAlready

It may seem a bit late, but the 70D has a VAF for moire and aliasing. There is also the 3X mode, which does not line skip.  However the intensity of 3X mode is less, as it does not over sample the sensor.  So sensor noise can be a bigger factor.  I have used 3X mode, but for me it takes more effort in contrast & post IQ corrections.  Would not use it for very low light situations, were noise gets closer to amount of light on the sensor; or very bright where the sensor can get over saturated (Ok ND filter would help with this).

As for those who seek another cam. Well for me the next step would be R6 if after a new price, but its only 10bit and that is with c-log processing H.265. The 5D mkIII for a used price and raw video were a priority, it has a built in VAF.

Crying about 70D dpaf, is rather odd to me, as for video, many reviews have shown its very good, but then again its generally used for less than 10% of video shots.  If you are mostly shooting live action, I would think your not going to use a 70D raw, but want a 10bit H.264 1080p camera for live streaming.     
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Kgncom

Hey guys, I haven't checked into the 70D world for a while since I got an EOSM, but I have a few questions for you guys. Particularly about event shooting, MLV vs H264, and DPAF.

The long and short of it is a buddy of mine does standup, and he was wondering if I'd be game to help him record a big set he has coming up at a nicer venue. The upcoming show he's wanting to have recorded would be 2x20-30 minutes sets, and I will be running both the EOSM and 70D to capture it. We did a test run at a smaller venue with just the EOSM, using ML, but sticking to h264. We ran into a few speed bumps, mostly just seeming to hit a file size limit and have the camera restart recording, leaving a small gap in the video every 9-12 minutes.

Does the current build for the 70D in this thread have this particular quirk? Is it only something that affects h264 (assuming you don't max out the buffer)? Would anyone recommend using MLV as opposed to h264? Further more, assuming we opt to use MLV on the 70D I'm wondering what raw video/crop modes have access to DPAF at this point in time, and if anyone has managed recording continuously to the degree I'm aiming to here on 70D? Any and all tips and pointers would be appreciated greatly. I love the ML community!
70D | EOSM

MisterB

Hi,
I recently installed the Magic lantern on my 70D. All ML features seem to work apart from the ability to save as RAW. File format and image size listings don't appear in the Movie menu. I made sure I'd updated to firmware 1.1.2 before installing. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Mr B

Walter Schulz

Modules tab -> mlv_lite.mo or mlv_rec.mo

Vinxi

You are too close. Take two steps back and witness the mess MagicLantern is in!

I am a photographer and believe I am capable of appreciating what ML offers. And hey, ML is really about photography, right? When I stumble through the main residence of ML (magiclantern.fm), I find old ML builds for the 70D (Dec 24 '18), then somehow find links to newer builds on bitbucket which are dead, and then get a tip to visit some other coder jungle - to which I don't even remember the name of the site - yet none offer any hope of finding newer ML or even a depository of modules. Well, just about then is when the frustration begins to fester and my disillusions over ML grow.

Here are some practical examples of frustration generators, but if anyone needs more, just ask. Let's go to YouTube for a moment and watch the guy from France demonstrating FPS_override and sd_uhs on a 70D. I saw it, it works, just his links to where to find the code send the user to a cute little loop in no-mans-land on bitbucket. Some will say that those modules don't work on a 70D. Fine, perhaps not, but his video proves the contrary. Another user on good old YouTube mentions the ML 70D build dated March 2019 containing modules which are not included in the official newest ML build from Dec. 2018. Unfortunately ML doesn't seem to know anything about that 2019 build. Another part of the problem is, apparently nobody knows what ML can and cannot do on any specific camera. Understandable, it's complex, but surely the information does exist, ML is simply not capable of delivering this information to the user.

OK, you can complain that I am ungrateful and should better appreciate what the developers have achieved. Absolutely, that's me, my bad. But hey, if you can code at this level then you should be able to prevent chaos. Coder-Chaos is what ML is experiencing today. The main reason for this chaos is nothing more than laziness and a lack of appreciation for organization. Guys, skip the pizza and chips today and clean-up your desk instead. If not, eventually all this stuff is gonna bite you in the rump and you will have nothing but a bucket of worthless bits. Good luck!

Walter Schulz

What should I say? I want to edit a wiki since beginning of September but no avail because login is broken.
But you are wrong about main reason.

Involute

Can Magic Lantern be configured to remove all overlays (like crop marks) from my video when sent over HDMI?  Using just the Info. button (no Magic Lantern), I can remove everything except crop marks.  I'd like to use the camera as a web cam, so they'd be annoying.  I can remove them using Canon's web cam utility (which works over USB), but that restricts me to a 4:3 aspect ratio.  Thanks for any tips.

EphimAO

Hi, guys! I recently installed Ml to my 70D and it is great! I checked Raw recording and other stuff. I'm going to buy fast sdxc card. But I have a question about some functions. For example: cbr, crop mode, detailed audio settings, fps override. I need to wait new build or there wouldn't be any new one? Thx for advice! :)
70d / 2021 build / moza air 2 / rode videomic go