Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotofei

Umm.. there is some non-standard feature wants - UNDERCLOCK main CPU. Is it possible ?
Canon EOS 70D (1.1.2)
Nightly.2018Dec24.70D112

Walter Schulz

Purpose? Use case?
Just "I want it" doesn't work as a convincing feature request.

OlRivrRat

@Walter

"Is It Possible" was the Question ~ I certainly didn't see this as a

> Can Someone Please Do This For Me <
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

nikfreak

+1 for Walter:
Write clearly. Say what you mean, and make sure it can't be misinterpreted. One suggestion from me for underclocking the main CPU would now be: DESOLDER the CPU of the 70D and solder the one from 40D into it. Good luck!
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Luther

I agree. But in he's defense, underclocking might decrease sensor temperature and energy usage, which is good when doing astrophotography or anything that uses the camera for hours in high ISO...

Stigliano

Using the Google Translate. I bought a 3x1 HDMI "HUB". To connect my C100 and 70D to the same monitor. With a button I change which camera I watch on the monitor. When I make this change, the 70D stops recording video. I found that it always happens, if you put hdmi cable with camera recording, recording stops. Is there any solution for this? Strong hug

BrucieHartley

Hi, first poster here, with a 70D sporting 1.1.3 firmware. Do I need to revert to V1.1.2 to have ML for Canon 70D work OK?
Thanks
Bruce

Walter Schulz

Normally you would just be directed to Install Guide (Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide) or FAQ or the basic install instructions found in nightly builds download page (also on top of the page).
But 1.1.3 was designed to fight a vulnerability in the firmware update process resulting in blocking firmware downgrades. ATM the only way to get ML running is provided by CPS downgrading to 1.1.2. If you are lucky they will do it. Not all of them comply, though.

kotofei

Canon 70D has a seriios problem with proper cooling CPU. That black "carbon" stickers on CPU does not help much to cool down CPU during high load (video recording and even being in ML LV mode with couple realtime drawings enabled). It`s canon engineers fault.
Reballing chip doesn`t help.
So be warned - using LV mode shortens life of your cameras. Are you still thinking that underclocking is useless ?
Canon EOS 70D (1.1.2)
Nightly.2018Dec24.70D112

nikfreak

Canon will repair it if first two digits in your camera's serial number are within the range of 00 to 22. Check the product advisory
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

a1ex

Quote from: kotofei on March 14, 2020, 05:06:05 PM
So be warned - using LV mode shortens life of your cameras. Are you still thinking that underclocking is useless ?

With or without underclocking, the amount of work the CPU has to do in LiveView will be the same. At a higher frequency, it will be in short bursts, with relatively high idle times. At a lower frequency, the CPU will be mostly busy (much shorter idle times). Will this give a significant difference in power draw? I highly doubt.

Is it even possible to adjust the CPU frequency from software, on EOS cameras? Maybe - there are other microcontrollers able to adjust their clock - but here, I have no idea where to look. The closest thing that comes to mind is this, but it's not what you are looking for.

Reducing the LiveView frame rate, e.g. keeping 10 FPS in photo mode, will make a significant difference in power draw (camera temperature, battery life etc). There is an experimental patch in the EOS M thread.

Reducing the frequency of the sensor clock, on the other hand, could result in better images (lower noise). No idea where this frequency comes from, and whether it can be configured from software. It has nothing to do with the frequency of the main CPU, though.

Short answer: it might not be useless, but... good luck figuring out how to change it.

BaRe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 14, 2020, 12:58:43 PM
Normally you would just be directed to Install Guide (Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide) or FAQ or the basic install instructions found in nightly builds download page (also on top of the page).
But 1.1.3 was designed to fight a vulnerability in the firmware update process resulting in blocking firmware downgrades. ATM the only way to get ML running is provided by CPS downgrading to 1.1.2. If you are lucky they will do it. Not all of them comply, though.

I was going to ask the question, so for now we have better time staying in 1.1.2, until a new build comes out?

jmo1112

My 70D, which had ML on it, did the thing where it froze and wouldn't shut off until I took the battery out, and then wouldn't turn back on.  I qualified for the free repair from Canon for that, which was great.  When I got the camera back, my firmware was 1.1.3.  So, am I just ess out of luck here?  At least for the foreseeable future?

Walter Schulz

jmo1112

Thanks for replying, Walter.  I did see that post.  I guess I just wasn't sure if there was actually any hope for an ML on 1.1.3 in the future, or if this was literally the only option for now until forever.

demon1486

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 14, 2020, 12:58:43 PM
i revert back to 1.1.2 it's no problem for 70D.
from 1.1.3 to 1.1.2 using update via SD card

Walter Schulz

Thanks for correction!
We have troubles finding people willing to test their cams with newest software because of known problem with 5D3. Risk for rendering cam unable to run ML is not an option for most.

jmo1112

Quote from: demon1486 on April 05, 2020, 01:10:00 AM
i revert back to 1.1.2 it's no problem for 70D.
from 1.1.3 to 1.1.2 using update via SD card
Wait, you downgraded your firmware by just using the same process as if you were updating it?   And it worked with no issues?

jmo1112

Hot damn it worked!  Just FYI, for anyone wanting to try to downgrade, I used the normal updating firmware process via SD card, except I was "upgrading" to 1.1.2.  Seems to be working just fine.

yokashin

Confirm.  I uploaded 1.1.3 and by regular update I came back to 1.1.2 :)
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

Rodders

Hi All,
Sorry if this post is in the wrong section but it's my first one so be gentle :)
I have only just started having a go with ML on my 70D, it loads ok but there is no FPS section etc under the Movie section in the ML menu. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and have re-downloaded and unzipped the nightly build etc as well with no change.
Am I missing something here, have I done something really basic and dumb?
I am moving the dial to M when checking for it too. I have HDR , RAW video etc coming up just no FFS. This is unfortunately the main feature of ML that I wanted to get a grip with as it will enable me to do Timelapses that will not need processing with third party software to be run as a movie file.
Thank you for reading and if you can help that would be fantastic !!
Rod

ArcziPL

M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

Rodders

Sorry, dislexic keyboarder here, I meant FPS and have modified the original post.

Walter Schulz

FPS override feature currently not available on 70D.

ArcziPL

Quote from: Rodders on April 07, 2020, 11:36:38 PM
Sorry, dislexic keyboarder here, I meant FPS and have modified the original post.
Please, refer to my post from March 2019. I've enabled this feature on 70D. It still has some quirks but is IMO usable. The download link is there, check it out.

Unfortunately no time to continue working on it.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II