Author Topic: Canon 70D  (Read 1694379 times)

OlRivrRat

Re: Canon 70D
« Reply #3425 on: December 21, 2019, 01:15:46 AM »
                 @Alex

Have You acquired a Rom Dump for the 113 FirmedUp 70D from anyone yet or

is it looking like it is going to be up to Me ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

a1ex

• Administrator
  • Emergencies only
« Reply #3426 on: December 21, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
No, I did not. There was a private request from another user (besides the one from here), but there was no reply after asking them to run the portable ROM dumper.

There is no developer that has 70D to try that out?

Apparently there is no active developer that has 70D, otherwise they would have tried it :D

I can test some things in QEMU, but most of the "interesting" stuff (LiveView, image capture, Wi-Fi) are not working there.

Grizraz

• New to the forum
« Reply #3427 on: December 22, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
Is focus bracketing available for the 70D?
Lost my camera body (650D) to a bad fall and looking to replace with 70D. Focus bracketing was used often.
Dual ISO, Motion Detect and bulb times were other frequently used settings that were avail on the 650D build.
If not, I may consider another body that Magic Lantern has added these features to the build.

OlRivrRat

« Reply #3428 on: December 22, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
" Apparently there is no active developer that has 70D, otherwise they would have tried it "

It certainly does appear that ML interest in the 70D has waned dramatically, which is

why I was pleasantly surprised when You posted that You would Give It A Look ~

If You can't get a RomDump from some User that has already FirmedUp their 70D by

end of week / after Christmas, I guess I'll take the dive ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

12georgiadis

• 5DmkIII - 7D - EOS-M
« Reply #3429 on: December 30, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
Hi everyone !
I read a lot of pages to know what are the updates for 70D and I'm not sure to understand exactly what is actually working.
From what I understood, we can have 1832*1024, 23,98 continuous in 12 bits lossless right ? Does DPAF works with these settings ?
Is it stable ? Does a VAF-7D also works with DPAF ?
Thanks

ArcziPL

• Contributor
« Reply #3430 on: January 05, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
From what I understood, we can have 1832*1024, 23,98 continuous in 12 bits lossless right ?
I was personally always recording 25 fps so far but 23,98 is just a setting from the Canon menu, which should work same good. So: yes.

Does DPAF works with these settings ?
Yes.

Is it stable ?
From my experience: yes.

Does a VAF-7D also works with DPAF ?
Never had one but I expect: yes. VAF only blurrs the image. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't see any reason why it should interfere with DPAF.
70D.112 | M50.102 | M.202

12georgiadis

• 5DmkIII - 7D - EOS-M
« Reply #3431 on: January 05, 2020, 07:21:43 PM »
I was personally always recording 25 fps so far but 23,98 is just a setting from the Canon menu, which should work same good. So: yes.
Yes.
From my experience: yes.
Never had one but I expect: yes. VAF only blurrs the image. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't see any reason why it should interfere with DPAF.
Thank you ArcziPL, that's surprising that this camera has not so much popularity because it seems by far the best APS-C camera because of DPAF.
I'm gonna switch from my 7D to the 70D now.

vastunghia

• New to the forum
  • 70D'er
« Reply #3432 on: January 20, 2020, 05:14:19 PM »
I'm sorry, I know this is most likely a silly question, but I have been going through several pages of this Forum history, to no avail...

What is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at this stage? At first I thought it was write speed, but since changing the recording mode (14/12/10 bit, uncompressed, lossless etc) does not change anything (does it?), I guess this is not it?

Apart from this, I am happily RAW-recording using arczipl's build (magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless). Thanks to all of ML community for the incredible work!

Sergio

Ps: what am I missing from the magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental build?

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3433 on: January 21, 2020, 01:02:39 PM »
Press loupe/magnify button to access "crop mode" for higher resolutions.
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

vastunghia

• New to the forum
  • 70D'er
« Reply #3434 on: January 23, 2020, 01:47:31 PM »
Press loupe/magnify button to access "crop mode" for higher resolutions.

Nice and easy, thanks a lot. I thought I needed to use Canon's built-in 3x zoom.

Using ML crop mode as you suggested, instead, I get 5x and 10x (this one for focusing I guess) -- is it the way it is supposed to be?

And, once again, what is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at 1x? Just for my understanding.

Thanks

Sergio

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3435 on: January 24, 2020, 03:25:24 AM »
Nice and easy, thanks a lot. I thought I needed to use Canon's built-in 3x zoom.

If your cam has an "Movie Crop Mode" entry in Movie tab you can use this option, too.H

And, once again, what is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at 1x? Just for my understanding.

Like most ML supported cams 70D uses "line skipping" in H.264 and uncropped RAW/MLV recording where only every third sensor line is processed. Lookup terms "native resolution", "line skipping".
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

vga256

• Just arrived
« Reply #3436 on: January 30, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »
I've been lurking in this thread for the past two years, and just want to thank the ML community for keeping the 70D alive.

After shooting raw video for the past couple of years on my 70D, I've got hours and hours of footage - enough that the 70D has become my daily driver for commercial videography. I've had a hard time finding a better alternative at the same price point so far. The learning curve was a bit steep for understanding the majority of the settings, but it has paid off handsomely with the rich colour I get out of the camera.

Some things I've noticed over the years:
- I shoot 14 bit lossless @ 1832x1024 16:9 24 fps continuous for the most part. The buffer usually hovers *very* close to full, but I can usually get away with continuous recording. For bright and visually complex scenes, sometimes it does overrun the buffer and I need to start recording again.
- For sensitive moments like interviews where I can't afford to miss a few seconds due to buffer overflow, I drop the camera down to 12 bit lossless. Perfect continuous recording there without the risk of buffer overrun.
- Running the camera in full Manual mode is critical for getting good images out of it. I set the shutter speed at 2x the framerate: so in my case, that's 24 fps with a shutter speed of 1/48.19
- I run with Global Draw off. I found the extra information useful, but ultimately distracting while I'm filming.

Not much new here, but I just wanted to share for anyone looking to try out ML on their 70D. Without it, I basically wouldn't have a film career. Much appreciated everyone :)

vredo

• Just arrived
« Reply #3437 on: January 30, 2020, 09:19:04 PM »
Hello,

i've installed the Nightly from 2018 Dec 24. I have a problem with the overlay. When I go through the canon overlays with the "Info" button the magic lantern overlay doesn't appear.

My settings for the overlay:

Global draw: ON, all modes
Zebras: LumaFast, over 99%
Focus Peak: ON, 0,5, local
Magic Zoom: (+), Med, TL, 2:1

I have restored the ML defaults a few times and i also installed Magic Lantern again. Same problem.

What's wrong ?

Thank you

lojzik

• New to the forum
« Reply #3438 on: February 03, 2020, 06:34:45 AM »
What is suggested/best build for 70D? We have nightly build, 3 experimental builds, somewhere some custom builds ... Is there some list of builds for 70D with some notes, differences, urls,..?
70D.112

yokashin

• Freshman
« Reply #3439 on: February 03, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
What is suggested/best build for 70D? We have nightly build, 3 experimental builds, somewhere some custom builds ... Is there some list of builds for 70D with some notes, differences, urls,..?

https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/magic-lantern/downloads/

Sonoaux

• New to the forum
« Reply #3440 on: February 03, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
Hi. I have tried these three builds and have not been able to implement crop rec to record at higher resolutions.

3-10x digital zoom was enabled in the Canon menu but as you see in the images below it says crop mode is not enabled.

croprec4kmlvlitesnd+sd_uhs-2018Aug10.70D112

Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless

Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental

Here is a link to some photos of the settings used: 
http://imgur.com/gallery/1WzicGN
http://imgur.com/gallery/2nNGxGL

I feel like I am missing some setting. Everything else seems to work perfectly

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3441 on: February 03, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
Only one public pic visible. Second "not found".
Have you tried to disable the crop setting from the menu and pressing loupe/magnify button in liveview instead?

Sonoaux

• New to the forum
« Reply #3442 on: February 03, 2020, 04:32:42 PM »
Thats it! Thank you

sonicthehedgehog@live.com

• New to the forum
« Reply #3443 on: Today at 06:56:45 PM »
Greetings .... I'm 'new' to magic lantern, though I've been reading the forums on and off for a couple of years ... The following account *may* be of help to some who are new to Magic Lantern ....

Though somewhat 'fearful', I finally decided I'd give Magic Lantern a go. I think it's fair to say that trying to figure out *which version* of M/L to load is a bit of a nightmare to the newcomer. I thought long and hard, - would it be the December 24th, 2018 nightly build? Wow - that *seems* to be somewhat dated now. Then again, would I want to *risk* a more recent 'experimental' build? Decisions, decisions. Well, I finally decided on the experimental version of March 24th 2019. Why? Simply because it offered the ability to record in 10bit RAW - straight from the 70D's sensor. Now I must say, I'm NOT an overly 'techy' sort of guy. I'm 'visual', and I prefer to keep things 'simple'.....

So, I got to thinking that this 'cropped' (3x or 5x - whatever) was toooo much of an inconvenience. I just wanted 'simple'. Soon I realized that the largest video 'frame' size M/L would allow me to capture (without the 3x business), was 1832 x 776 pixels. That's based on a 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio. So not even full HD width. But I'd read that you still get great results after up-scaling, so I continued in hope. Well, really the rest is history. At the end if the day, all I was after was a *film look* from the 70D - with it's amazing focus system. Based on this goal, here's how I proceded:

■ Shooting at 24 frames per second (like 'real' film), using a fixed aperture of 1/50th of a second (roughly 'twice' the frame rate).
■ Using an ISO setting of 640 (fixed) - that's as high as I could get away with, without introducing too much visual noise. It also happened to work out to be an *ideal ISO* for shooting indoors. In a room with bright natural or artificial light, you get a perfect exposure at f:2.8.
■ Using reasonably good (sharp) lenses is a big help.
■ I set my 70D to 'M' for 'Manual'. Selecting the 'Neutral' setting, I entered:  Sharpness = 0,   Contrast = -4,   Saturation = -2,   Color Tone = 0  (nice and flat).
■ I then followed the M/L instructions for loading the software (3 files) onto a fast formatted SD card.
■ As mentioned, I went with the March 24th, 2019 M/L 'experimental' build. I chose to record at 10 bit, which is enough of a quality boost without stressing my camera too much. 12 bit wouldn't allow me a high enough resolution in Full Frame, besides, once imported into Vegas, I'd be dealing with 8 bit colour depth anyway, so I didn't see the point of 12 bit.
■ Also as mentioned, this would give a 1832 x 776 pixel frame, (about 2.35:1 aspect ratio), resulting in 40.6 Megabytes of data being sent to the SD card each second. This is the bottleneck of the 70D, since it's limit is 40MB/s throughput to the memory card. So my settings required 40.6 MB/sec which is *just over* the limit. Running a test yielded 2 minutes before the camera stopped recording. (the M/L 'display' showed that the camera's internal temperature had risen from 26° to 32° during recording). 2 minutes would be ample for most shots, and *if* a longer duration was needed, the frame resolution could be lowered. Reducing to a 1792 x 762 pixel frame gives unlimited recording time, (the on-screen counter being 'green' this time, rather than amber). I only went to 7 minutes - way long enough, (this time the temperature rose from 31° to 41°). This is to be expected - the internals are working harder than usual.
■ Once the recording's done, the SD Card is removed from the 70D but FIRST WAITING 5 seconds AFTER opening the SD card DOOR. The card is then slotted into a PC.
■ Using the free program called "MLV App" (a 'RAW to Video' converter also dowloadable from Magic Lantern), just go to 'File' > 'Import MLV' & navigating to (opening) your file.
■ In "MLV App"s right-side pane, select 'Fix Focus Dots' > ON and 'Fix Bad Pixels' > ON (This does *wonders* for hiding those bright 'hot' pixels.
■ Under 'Debayer Algothithm' select 'AMaZE' (which is the default anyway, and seems the best setting).
■ Set 'Sharpen' to just '20' - This is just a tiny boost, to get a little more 'percieved' resolution. Too much is no good.
■ Set RBF Denoise Chroma to desired level. '60' worked for me.
■ TO EXPORT: Click on the "Cogs" icon at the top, then choose 'Codec' as 'Uncompressed AVI', AND CHOOSE 'V210 10bit'.
■ I ticked the Resize tab and entered 3664 x 1552 - exacly twice the recorded resolution. I wanted the best I could, straight out of the gate, to possibly add in some CGI later. But you leave this unselected if you're happy with the camera's recorded resolution.
■ I used 'Smooth aliasing' 3 pass. (This does a fantstic job at smoothing edges without impacting sharpness).
■ Click the 'Folder Icon' to the left of the 'Cogs icon', enter a File Name & Location and hit SAVE. That's it! - Editable files processed from the RAW data. Now it's onto the editing and color grading.

There's no doubt different settings that others have used may well yield better results. It's a natter of experimenting with the settings. Though these file are large, I convert them to an intermediate codec inside Vegas, so reducing them to about 1/3 their size. A more economical approach would be to scale them to 1080p directly from inside the *MLV App* if that's the desired delivery resolution ...

Hoping this helps or inspires some-one ..... And I'd be amiss if I didn't say a big 'thank-you' to the amazing M/L Gurus who've achieved such incredible results from these Canon cameras.