Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on March 09, 2019, 06:50:18 PM
So is disabling Auto Mirroring in ML helps?

If you want to use face tracking it looks like Auto Mirroring needs to be enabled. Does disabling Auto Mirroring in ML help? Depends. Do you like taking a selfie where left is right and right is left or are you are like Leonardo da Vinci and have a preference for mirror writing?

Seriously though, it is good that ML gives you a choice because apparently Canon doesn't.

ArcziPL

Hi, with the actual adtg_gui.mo from https://builds.magiclantern.fm/modules.html "Latest Build (2018-11-11 14:24)" the cam can't enter LV nor video mode if adtg_gui is enabled with "ENGIO registers" = ON. The screen remains black, only battery pull helps.

As a result, I can't do this:

Quote from: a1ex on September 11, 2018, 09:40:45 AM
6008 is set only once when entering LiveView, so you should do that with adtg_gui enabled in order to see it. Going to PLAY mode and back, or pressing MENU twice, will do the trick. This register is interesting only if you want to increase horizontal resolution (and you can only do that in 1:1 crop modes).

Any idea? Are older builds available? Unfortunately, I don't see them on builds.magiclantern.fm nor at dforts Bitbucket download page anymore.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

Walter Schulz

QuoteThese modules can be loaded on top of the experimental crop_rec_4k build.
Try experimental lua_fix build for 70D instead.

Older semi-nightlies are here: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/70D.112/ but I don't think you will have any luck with this module using them.

dfort

That reminds me, I should cleanup my downloads page and take out the test builds that didn't work. Looks like I already did that for the 70D.

There was a recent update to get lossless compression working on the 70D. However, it was done on the crop_rec_4k branch and as reported by @David_Hugh on Reply #320 that branch won't compile on some cameras including the 70D.

Until that's resolved your best best is lua_fix like Walter suggested.

ArcziPL

Quote from: dfort on March 14, 2019, 08:20:30 PMThere was a recent update to get lossless compression working on the 70D. However, it was done on the crop_rec_4k branch and as reported by @David_Hugh on Reply #320 that branch won't compile on some cameras including the 70D.
Yep, I chose crop_rec_4k, as I believed the change would (could?) be propagated to *_mlv_snd and *_mlv_lite_snd but apparently I was wrong. It rather works only the other way round. (?)

M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

dfort

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how to bring in just your change without fiddling around with the merge and possibly messing things up. I made a new branch from crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd and did this on my fork:

hg revert -r 20452 lossless.c

But that put my name on your changes which I don't want to do. I think you need to make a branch from before crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd and crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd were branched off of crop_rec_4k and make your changes there.

In any case, back the issue at hand. Simply copy lossless.c from crop_rec_4k into the other branches, compile, add the adtg_gui module from the modules download page and that should give you what you're looking for.

I just tried it and posted it on my downloads page but I don't have a 70D to try it out.

Are you looking into getting crop_rec working? That would be great.

a1ex

Quote from: ArcziPL on March 14, 2019, 09:31:42 PM
Yep, I chose crop_rec_4k, as I believed the change would (could?) be propagated to *_mlv_snd and *_mlv_lite_snd

That's correct. Only audio changes should go directly into *_mlv_snd and *_mlv_lite_snd, if you ask me. Other crop_rec changes should go in crop_rec_4k and synced with *_mlv_snd and *_mlv_lite_snd by merging. That would allow me to review the audio changes separate for the other stuff.

Quotebut apparently I was wrong. It rather works only the other way round. (?)

Sorry, changes not following this (i.e. after 3e4294d) are not mine...

Yes, I need to figure out how to fix 700D and EOS M (or back out these changes - 046e388, 58d6735, 1d493af, d556a10 - and rework all my local updates without them).

Quote from: dfort on March 14, 2019, 08:20:30 PM
However, it was done on the crop_rec_4k branch and as reported by @David_Hugh on Reply #320 that branch won't compile on some cameras including the 70D.

Yes, 32ac2f1 should have been done in crop_rec_4k. Then, 70D also needs FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_READ (i.e. the memory address of the shutter blanking register, as printed in adtg_gui). On some models, this address is a moving target, though, so we need to find another way to retrieve it.

Or, we could abandon the recent shutter speed refactoring (i.e. revert 046e388, 58d6735, 1d493af, d556a10 and keep shutter speeds broken on most cameras). I need these changes set to make sure the dialed shutter speed also matches what you get after using various crop_rec presets (otherwise you end up with all sorts of weird values, just not what you dialed). That's because shutter speeds are affected by FPS timers, which we override in crop_rec. My further local changes on crop_rec_4k depend on this refactoring, and I don't want to commit them in a non-working state.

ptec

Just want to let you know what issues I have if not known already:

Autofocus (Face Recognition) does not work. If I move my head to the left, the autofocus field moves to the right and vis versa. Strange phenomen (35mm 1.4).
NO ML -> Works fine.

I cant use Eos Utility to monitor liveview or push the shutter. Says "busy" all the time.
When I skipp ML on Startup it works fine.

andy kh

@ptec
See my reply #3280
Also turn off small hacks
Enjoyyy
5D Mark III - 70D

rrosen1

I actually have a 60d version 1.1.2.  The download for the 60d is 1.1.1.  I checked with Canon and they told me version 1.1.2 has been in use for at least 3 years.  I got my camera serviced by Canon in February.  I am sure at that time I had version 1.1.1 and I am sure the updated the software to 1.1.2.  I have tried the 70D version 1.1.2 but it never gets to the install. Do you know of any solutions?

Walter Schulz

Duplicate question, offtopic, already answered.

ShootMeAlready

Quote from: andy kh on May 16, 2019, 07:13:48 AM
i dont think you can shoot 60fps in 5X mode. no matter whatever your setting is in canon menu when u zoom in 5X it will change to 30fps

Probably right, my 60s test was around 1700+ frames.  That suggests 30p. But in ML it prior to start fps override shows 59.9p.  I get there by selecting 1280 60p, from Q menu, adjust resolution. 

Another thing I recall from my days of using 5X, was that its only 5X on the LCD, but the actual frame is 3X.  Hence the framing mismatch comment.  5X is like a magic zoom for the LCD.   

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

nikfreak

Didn't realize that you got your 70D alive gain @OlRivrRat. Nice!
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

OlRivrRat

@ NikFreak

Yup ~ Twas about a month ago it arrived back from Canon Repair, having been sent to Them hoping to get it

Revived under the Err70 Recall. Now has a New Mo'Board & is LikeNew & Best Of All > Twas Free ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

OlRivrRat

@TWeIMC

Just checked 70D & it appears as though Split Screen Focussing Within Magic Zoom is Not available on 70D ~

ORR ~ DeanB

Someone on 5D2 Thread mentioned that they had seen a Y'T' Vid showing that it was & I meant to post this

there but posted here by mistake ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

andy kh

got a 5d mark III yesterday. i may soon say goodbye to my 70D
5D Mark III - 70D

Ingerson

Hey guys, long time on and off lurker here looking to finally get back into ML and raw after like 8 years ago.

First off: I've read all post a year back, but I'm not a techie and this is all a bit difficult for me to comprehend.

Trying to decide between a 70D and an EOS-M. Found amazing info about the M since there seems to have a very dedicated following who are really pushing the limits. But not so much love for the 70D.

Obvious differences are of course form factor, articulating screen and DPAF, but how "stable" is ML on the 70D compared to M? From what I've read displaying crop mode is a bit wonky compared to mcm rewire on the M.

I already have a couple of EF(s) lenses from my old camera, so the more expensive 70D would be the same as the M + new lenses and adapters. I'm not a slow motion guy, 30 for 24 fps for slight over cranking is all. But I do longer takes (5-10 min) and like to move the camera and getting more into dynamic blocking and would like DPAF since it's usually myself and manual focus is just one thing to many.

I guess what I like to know are the top 5 reasons to go with the 70D and the top 5 things you wish you knew before buying the camera.

All the best!

ShootMeAlready

5 Reasons to use a 70D
- DPAF tracking is required, fast moving objects that you want to track in mostly centre of screen.
- pull focus off the screen, natural speed
- Use the LCD not the viewfinder for menu & touch focus
- Great stills camera and you already have quality Canon mount glass

Video
Well here's where things get really interesting
Its H264 All-I is good to ISO 1600 but the 80D has a better sensor for DR
Lots of free picture profiles for 70D, some even shoot flaat, all good for H264
Anti-aliasing at 3X, with MF (mostly).  This mode requires noise reduction and grading in post (IMHE). 
MLRAW video : APS-C so its 1.6X compared to FF, you may have some quality DSLR glass
- you can shoot 14bit ML raw FHD with MF
- you can shoot 12/10 bit raw most resolutions up to 2.5k at 2:39 24fps, but its MF
- Max AF resolution is around 90% of FHD, 2:39 at 24fps (10/12/14 bit). So with AF you would always need to up-res. for FHD.
- Any resolutions higher than about 90% of FHD, with LCD live-view tracking is zoomed, it shows 3X on LCD, of a 5X frame captured.  So its not the ideal FHD to 2.5k live-view. 
- 720p raw works 24/30 fps 10-14bit, with many ML goodies.
- 60p is only 720p, H264.

Sorry I dont know the M-series, so compare against this general profile.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Ingerson

thanks ShootMeAlready! I got an M, but don't really like the ergonomics, miss my 1000D I have for stills, haha. Gonna see if I can find a good deal on a 70D :)

andy kh

Im a 70d owner and i would highly suggest you not to buy 70D if you already own a M.
5D Mark III - 70D

Ingerson

Quote from: andy kh on July 18, 2019, 07:30:51 PM
Im a 70d owner and i would highly suggest you not to buy 70D if you already own a M.

care to elaborate? I got a cheap M, but miss the DSLR form factor and would like better AF since I'm a single shooter coming from street photography.

andy kh

Quote from: Ingerson on July 19, 2019, 05:32:05 PM
care to elaborate? I got a cheap M, but miss the DSLR form factor and would like better AF since I'm a single shooter coming from street photography.

af is really good. i also bought one because of this feature. there are some ML features missing in this camera. i dont kno if those missing features are important to you or not  and i get some terrible moire and aliasing. i am not sure if its because of the lens i use which is tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC
5D Mark III - 70D

Ingerson

Quote from: andy kh on July 21, 2019, 06:44:01 AM
af is really good. i also bought one because of this feature. there are some ML features missing in this camera. i dont kno if those missing features are important to you or not  and i get some terrible moire and aliasing. i am not sure if its because of the lens i use which is tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC

What features is that? I don't really care about slowmotion, sometimes I do 30 to 25 fps for a subtle effects, but that's it. And I don't go for crop modes or higher resolution. Besides AF and swivel screen all I want is continuous recording for a few minutes since I like longer takes.

mvrck

Quote from: Ingerson on July 21, 2019, 04:13:36 PM
What features is that? I don't really care about slowmotion, sometimes I do 30 to 25 fps for a subtle effects, but that's it. And I don't go for crop modes or higher resolution. Besides AF and swivel screen all I want is continuous recording for a few minutes since I like longer takes.

You can actually shoot 50/60 FPS with the 70D at 1832x616 and then stretch it in post. Here's a clip I shot at 50 FPS and slowed it down to 25 FPS. I think it looks pretty good aliasing-wise.

ShootMeAlready

I was astounded how good 16:9 FHD 12 bit raw @24fps looked. But its MF, I recall it was continuous, fills up the LCD screen nicely.
The raw video, of 70D is good for still camera (not moving) shots.  You might get away with a slow pan.
But you would want the AF resolutions for "subject walking" or "tracking a fast moving object centre of screen" (Ive seen some really good footage with a monopod).
Raw video with 70D max out at IS0 400, as hot pixels start to appear for higher ISO.
So you might use a flat profile, and shoot H264 at ISO1600 All-I for low light video.  Its surprising how good shooting flat, can be with H264 in low light.
I find the raw is better for highlight recovery, which is stronger in well lit shots, where as shooting flat with H264 All-I has a nice inky black which is useful.
I like the free Marvel picture profiles.  Otherwise there is always the choice to add lighting.

If you like this, then I would get the VAF, to minimize aliasing. 

I also find a bit of noise reduction really helps with aps-c footage, as its not all moire/aliasing that's afoot. 
A FF sensor tends to handle noise better especially low light.