Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

domo94

So I went to the BJs down the street from me because I had a theory of the APS-C sized sensors and their mounting sizes.

the 70d and 7d both share very very similar dimensions so I was hoping that the anti-aliasing filter for the 7d would fit the 70d.

I took it with me, popped it on, and viola! It fit just fine!

I didn't get to put a lens on it, but because the camera is slightly smaller, I think it may even fit a bit more snug than the 7d possibly.

So if you get a VAG filter for the Canon 7D at the Mosaic engineering website, it'll fit the 70d.

Now I'm curious to see how well the 70d works in normal day to day use for 10bit continuous raw shooting.
I need a better low light camera and I want to stick with magic lantern. I just DON'T LIKE SONY.

Please somebody convince me that the 70d is working fine?

Thanks

rrosen1

I just had my 60D serviced and they changed the camera software from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2.  I tried the latest 70D build for 1.1.2 and it wouldn't format. I guess I have to buy an external intervalometer for the 60D?

Walter Schulz

Sorry, what are you talking about? 60D -> offtopic. 70D? -> What does "format" has to do with it?

Maybe you should read the short installation instructions: Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> Pic your cam -> Installation.
If it doesn't help: Read Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ and Install Guide

trailwalkerstudios

kind of a noob question. but have followed all the directions and confused on the install.
I low-level formatted the card.
I updated to 1.1.2 firmware. Then when I go to select ML-SETUP.FIR it says update firmware 1.1.2 -> 1.0.2
is that just the version of the ML firmware? Is this normal? Ok to install that?
It's the experimental build because I want to the test raw video. Really want 30+ clips so I can get certain jobs again.
Don't want to brick my camera.
Thanks

ShootMeAlready

Luke Trailwalker, you really want the fastest card at 95 MB/s (Sandisk Ex. Pro.), even to test raw video.  Your resolution is limitted with slower cards.  I dont tend to shoot raw, but my last go was MLV 10bit raw, 1920 at 2:39 aspect. That was continuous, but did not run more than 5min.  Heat occurs with raw video, so even if data transfer rate is supported you really have to watch the heat.  Low ISO a must (400 max).  I found H264 All-I was best with high ISO up to 1600, after which it starts to become dicey.  The other thing which can help low light is a decent denoiser software for post, the Mosaic filter really removes moire but to get cleaner image in low light its the noise you have to remove (my main beef with the 80D is that its 60fps video is IPB is even noisier than All-I in lowee light, so I did not see big benefit with 80D).
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

trailwalkerstudios

got it, but I usually shoot at 720p at 24 fps and need to get beyond the 30 minute cap.

also need to know about the question I posted up there about the firmware when installing magic lantern after the 1.1.2 update...
anybody?
is that what's supposed to happen? it doesn't say much in the instructions outlining the dialogs.

"I updated to 1.1.2 firmware. Then when I go to select ML-SETUP.FIR it says update firmware 1.1.2 -> 1.0.2
is that just the version of the ML firmware? Is this normal? Ok to install that?"

trailwalkerstudios

anybody? I don' want to install it yet until I get a nod. I've researched and it doesn't say anything about that...

DeafEyeJedi

Works fine for me on 1.1.2 and please do not hesitate to install @trailwalkerstudios!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

trailwalkerstudios

ok but you get this ?
select ML-SETUP.FIR it says update firmware 1.1.2 -> 1.0.2

a1ex

Video of what you are doing, please.

Walter Schulz

And a view on card's root directory ...

trailwalkerstudios

ArcziPL

Does it behave same if you:
1. Remove the 70D0012.FIR from the card and try again?
2. Remove all from the card and try an older build, e.g. https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/70D.112/10/artifact/platform/70D.112/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Feb03.70D112.zip ?
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

trailwalkerstudios

have to try that. so nobody else sees this behavior after updating to 1.1.2 on the 70D with the latest experimental build?

David_Hugh

Hello fellow 70D users! Just thought since the last breakthrough that @ArcziPL made with lossless recording, it might be the right time to pick up on pixel binning patterns and higher frame rates on the 70D again. Post 3194 and 3206 explain my register changes to achieve 50fps footage in 3x3 binning that doesnt need post production stretching, from a custom build @dfort provided me with. I am just bringing this up so maybe someone with more intimate knowledge of 70D specific registers and the crop_rec branch can take the lead from there and make something useful out of it. Awesome find on the lossless comp!

ArcziPL

Quote from: David_Hugh on March 08, 2019, 09:16:58 PM
Hello fellow 70D users! Just thought since the last breakthrough that @ArcziPL made with lossless recording, it might be the right time to pick up on pixel binning patterns and higher frame rates on the 70D again. Post 3194 and 3206 explain my register changes to achieve 50fps footage in 3x3 binning that doesnt need post production stretching, from a custom build @dfort provided me with. I am just bringing this up so maybe someone with more intimate knowledge of 70D specific registers and the crop_rec branch can take the lead from there and make something useful out of it. Awesome find on the lossless comp!
Great, thanks for the hint! I am definitely not fitting to this description :) but maybe able to try it out a bit. My goal was the lossless compressor but as it went much faster than initially expected, I'll have some time to touch other topics as well. I generally thought about
- RAW zebras in LV/photo preview
- FPS override -> but as nikfreak (IIRC) already spent dozens of hours without success it rather won't be my first choice
- crop_rec presets; Dannes work on M is marvellous and inspiring. Would be nice to reproduce at least some of them here. I'd personally like >=45fps @ ~1080p 16:9 and 1x3 binning mode without moire. And of course the holy grail 3x3 real binning (no skipping) which was not achieved so far at all. :)

If anyone can give any hints about any of the topic to boost it I'll appreciate. So far I was checking how crop_rec is done for 5D3 and this seems to be quite understandable how the module works but I'm again shocked how the hell all of this can be found out by reverse engineering. :)

The other two topics stayed untouched so far.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

Danne

We should get 70D into crop_rec.c. Is there any build with crop_rec.c for 70D out there? The regs for different presets should work similarly to other digic V cameras so adtg_gui and even some tweaking directly in crop_rec.c should be possible. Is power timing regs working also for 70D? Needs to be tested. All in time, occupied over here.
Nikfreak, listening :)?

David_Hugh

Quote from: dfort on March 14, 2018, 12:49:16 AM
Excellent! Let's give this a try:

else if (is_camera("70D", "1.1.2"))
    {
        CMOS_WRITE = 0x26B54;
        MEM_CMOS_WRITE = 0xE92D41F0;

ADTG_WRITE = 0x2684C;
        MEM_ADTG_WRITE = 0xE92D47F0;

Put up a test build on my downloads page. The way to test this is to first turn on only the crop_rec module. Put your camera in 1280x720/50 or 60 (depending if you're set up for PAL or NTSC) and try recording some H.264 video. The LiveView will probably look stretched vertically.

We know that mlv_lite isn't working yet because we need to figure out the lossless recording but maybe mlv_rec will work? You should be able to record video using 3x3 sampling at 60fps. Well, the card will limit how large of an image you can continuously record at that speed but it does give you another option to play with.

@Danne Yes - I believe this build, along with the register changes I described in post 3194 results in a proper crop_rec file. It ONLY works however when it's on the PAL setting, as I also described, 60fps is just too much. I am going through my notes, sorry I can only point to past achievments but it's been almost a year since I played with that stuff.

VERY important note: I could also lower the fps from 50 to around 21fps with this build, but I needed to change TWO, not one register:

c0f0 6014
c0f0 6024

Unfortuntaley I never got behind a way to increase the resolution past the 1824x626 I started with, because I could not manage to find the right registers to change resolution. I remember the cam was very sensitive to the order/way in which the registers were changed - fps changes were stable but every time I tried something else it kept locking up.

Here is what @nikfreak had to say about all this

Quote from: nikfreak on September 21, 2018, 10:47:20 AM
Hey Dave,

fps override was always problematic for me. TimerA always worked to modify but Timer b was causing problems and disco-like effects on the LCD. Now that you found out that 70D needs two registers for Timer B namely

• c0f06014
  • c0f06024

you need to update fps-engio.c to get it working. Just out of my head:

#define FPS_REGISTER_A 0xC0F06008
#define FPS_REGISTER_B 0xC0F06014
#define FPS_REGISTER_B_DUALPIXEL 0xC0F06024

Afterwards "grep" fps-engio.c for all register_b related code and modify it to work for 70D by defining code for it. I would suggest you make a request at bitbucket if you can't handle it yourself but you need that additional register 0xC0F06024 for 70D from what I understand

As always, hope this is helpful.

Danne

Two regs? Opening up a can of worms  :P.
Let's see if we can get a branch going and then I can provide basic guidance building presets.

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

andy kh

i got face tracking working in selfie mode
Quote from: dfort on March 09, 2019, 07:12:12 AM
with ML loaded the screen doesn't switch to mirror display when in "selfie mode."
thanks dfort

auto mirroring is set to dont allow by default. it needs to b changed to allow and wala
5D Mark III - 70D

dfort

Quote from: andy kh on March 09, 2019, 04:51:42 PM
auto mirroring is set to dont allow by default. it needs to b changed to allow and wala

Great. Tried it on the 700D and it behaves the same.

This is what the ML menus look like with Auto Mirroring turned on and the screen flipped out to "selfie" mode. Canon menus don't flip with or without ML loaded.

I searched the user manual to see if there is a Canon setting to turn this on or off but the only reference to this feature that I could find says:

• During Live View shooting or movie shooting, facing the LCD monitor toward the subject will display a mirror image on the screen.

andy kh

Quote from: dfort on March 09, 2019, 05:19:33 PM

This is what the ML menus look like with Auto Mirroring turned on and the screen flipped out to "selfie" mode. Canon menus don't flip with or without ML loaded.

it is the same with mine but face tracking in selfie mode is working flawless now after turning on the auto mirroring and urning off the small hack
5D Mark III - 70D

theBilalFakhouri

Same thing here with my 700D in selfie mode, @dfort So is disabling Auto Mirroring in ML helps?