Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkraq

esas

Hi!

Bought a 70D a few days ago and have started looking at the code, but I'm unsure what branch I should be working with.

The 70D_merge_fw112 is falling way behind.
70D isn't included in raw_video_10bit_12bit  any longer.

crop_rec_4k doesn't compile for the 70D. This has been discussed before, and seems to have been fixed here: https://bitbucket.org/nikfreak/magic-lantern/branch/70D_merge_fw112, but not merged into crop_rec_4k.

Am I missing something? I'm not very experienced with mercurial so proberly I am.

a1ex

70D_merge_fw112 is now up to date and merges almost cleanly with raw_video_10bit_12bit (except mlv_rec; will look into it).

For crop_rec_4k (which includes everything from raw_video_10bit_12bit), both 70D and 100D are merged, but this branch only compiles for those models specifically updated for the new stuff (crop_rec module and/or lossless compression). The changes from nikfreak have to be included, but I'm not sure what's their status, what works and what not - please try and report back.

ShootMeAlready

I have some time to test 4k and lossless compression, when there is a build. I have been eager to test this out on the 70D.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

lojzik

last experimental builds are without selftest module. Is it bug or feature?
70D.112

a1ex

Bug - the build system doesn't quite tell the difference between missing stubs and genuine module compatibility issues, and these errors are not very obvious on the download page either (unless one looks in the build log specifically for these things). So... didn't notice it.

TODO: add some of these tests (the ones that work) in QEMU.

esas

Added temperature in this PR (my first ever:).

Confirmed  SRM_BUFFER_SIZE 0x2314000 using this method.

I used this as well, since it was the same for every model: DEFAULT_RAW_BUFFER_SIZE (0x4ee00000 - 0x4d600100).

I'm now able to compile crop_rec_4k. I have only loaded on camera and checked that relevant modules load. Checked very fast lossless recording (doesn't work) and 10 bit recording (seemsto work, but haven't checked output files).

For anyone willing to test, here's a compiled version.

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Stathman

Quote from: esas on December 22, 2017, 03:56:15 PM
Added temperature in this PR (my first ever:).

Confirmed  SRM_BUFFER_SIZE 0x2314000 using this method.

I used this as well, since it was the same for every model: DEFAULT_RAW_BUFFER_SIZE (0x4ee00000 - 0x4d600100).

I'm now able to compile crop_rec_4k. I have only loaded on camera and checked that relevant modules load. Checked very fast lossless recording (doesn't work) and 10 bit recording (seemsto work, but haven't checked output files).

For anyone willing to test, here's a compiled version.

I can't get crop_rec to work.
Any help would be much appreciated.
70D

andy kh

this is what i get while trying to record 14bit lossless
5D Mark III - 70D

Stathman

Same here, lossless not working.
Except for the obvious, lossless means potentially higher resolutions?
70D

esas

Quote from: Stathman on December 23, 2017, 03:12:08 AM
I can't get crop_rec to work.

Quote from: andy kh on December 23, 2017, 08:02:14 AM
this is what i get while trying to record 14bit lossless

Quote from: Stathman on December 23, 2017, 03:38:15 PM
Same here, lossless not working.

There's a lot of work to be done before all the new cool stuff works on the 70D, but it looks like nikfreak has allready done a good amount of work on it some moths ago. What happened nikfreak? Got rid of your 70D?

To be honest I think the best thing we can do is to do what we can to get the 70D into unified branch first. Anyone have the insight to tell what needed to get there?

a1ex

First step is merging the experimental backends the 70D depends on. These are:

- QEMU (next on the list, asked for proof reading the docs a few times)
- new DryOS task hooks (depends on QEMU, bug the 6D folks to test it and give meaningful feedback, 100D/EOSM2 also waiting for it)
- patch manager (last time I've used the camera outside with this branch I've got err70, didn't narrow down yet; this one is causing the conflict with mlv_rec in the 10/12-bit branch; it's already included in the "bleeding edge" crop_rec_4k)
- lua_fix (70D can't run Lua scripts without the new backend - asked for feedback a couple of times as well, but I keep finding regressions in ML core, outside Lua, from the changes done to fix the scripting API)

Next:
- sort out FPS override (I'd like to simplify the code, so not really content with re-enabling timer A only, but so far didn't come up with anything useful; thinking on an alternate implementation similar to crop_rec - PoC in dm-spy-experiments/adtg_gui, nikfreak reported it working a while ago)
- fix raw-based exposure feedback in photo mode (not easy; I'll give it a try after being able to emulate an image capture in QEMU - already have some half-working local patches)
- evaluate the port status (review feedback from users - don't remember being overwhelmed by it lately, and I don't have access to a 70D to test it myself)

esas

I merged in Nikfreaks work. New test build here.

I did a very fast test on my own camera. Now able to start lossless recording, but the result is not good:

Normal 14,12,10 bit recording looks OK.

Please test it and report back your findings.

Known issues:
*crop_rec doesn't work
*lossless FRSP doesn't work
*lossless recording starts, but result is not good

EDIT:Did some more test. Added comments above

andy kh

image is too dark

up loading photos

after decreasing the black level to zero in MLVProducer

gif upload
5D Mark III - 70D

ShootMeAlready

Esas just loaded the latest you built.
Found that 2:35 aspect resolutions were that same 10,12,14bpp, had to set 5X to get above 1824pixels.
I was expecting something higher? What should I be looking for that is 4k?

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Stathman

Quote from: esas on December 28, 2017, 08:55:23 AM
I merged in Nikfreaks work.

I did a very fast test on my own camera. Now able to start lossless recording, but the result is not good:

Normal 14,12,10 bit recording looks OK.

Please test it and report back your findings.

Known issues:
*crop_rec doesn't work
*lossless FRSP doesn't work
*lossless recording starts, but result is not good

EDIT:Did some more test. Added comments above

Thanks for the update!
Same results as yours.

70D

Badboy_428

I have just heard of the Magic Lantern software and I am looking at putting in on my 70D. How stable is this as I notice its still listed as experimental and this is my only camera so I don't want to create a brick out of it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ShootMeAlready

So Walter base on your comment
Canon 70D at 3:2 does 5472 x 3648
5472/3 = 1824 (which is what I see with full AF)
3648/3 = 1216

So what's happening when I hit 5X that gets me to 1920?  Does it stop line skipping?
Then when I turn 3X video mode on, with centre crop, I should get 1920 right away but instead get 1856?

Walter Schulz

Max. photo image resolution is indeed 5472 x 3648. But look at cr2hr output:

Camera          : Canon EOS 70D
Full size       : 5568 x 3708
Active area     : 5496 x 3670

Applies to all cams. Keep in mind processing depends on 32 bit blocks.
5496 mod 32 = 24 -> 5496 - 24 = 5472 (max. photo image resolution)
5568 mod 32 = 0 -> 5568/3 = 1856

esas

New build here.

Only minor tweak since last build. Looks like 14 bit lossless works, but the black level is wrong (green picture). Didn't have any luck trying to change it with mlv_dump. Maybe someone else can manage?

andy kh

Can't test as i am out of station at the moment. MlvProducer has the option to change the black level. It happen when 10bit/12bit raw was implemented in 70D
5D Mark III - 70D

fjodor

Unfortunately 14bit-lossless is still broken in my tests. I use MLVP v3200. Perhaps the lossless compression in this build is a bit better than the previous build (see attachment), I do not know ...
Also the mlv_sound module seems broken in this Jan11-build and wont boot-up. To be honest I have never tested a 70d-build where the sound from mlv_sound was synchronous and / or continuous in a logical way with raw video. My workflow is MLVP > C-DNG > Resolve. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and someone has some good tips for usable audio.

I'm hopeful that lossless compression will come to the 70d, hopefully with usable audio, fingers crossed :-p
Thanks again for everyone's hard work and commitment to ML

David_Hugh

Just tested the January 11th build from esas. Unfortunately, I have to report that the files still come out like this:

This was 12 bit lossless, global draw off/ highest resolution possible. 14bit looks the same. Does your 14 bit lossless come out differently @esas? The right blacklevelfor MLV files in MLV Producer is 127 by the way. Changing that is no problem with the new MLV Producer version, it works with the lossless files.

Fazit: Everything "works" but those pink "stripes" (more like bars really) arent exactly pretty ;). Is there anything else to test?