Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

@pmus2017: does the raw histogram change in movie mode between ISO 160, 200 and 250?

It should stay unchanged at these 3 values. If it changes, that's a bug (and its most obvious side effect would be missing clipping indicators at ISO 160 multiples).

pmus2017

Quote from: a1ex on March 21, 2017, 04:09:26 PM
@pmus2017: does the raw histogram change in movie mode between ISO 160, 200 and 250?

It should stay unchanged at these 3 values. If it changes, that's a bug (and its most obvious side effect would be missing clipping indicators at ISO 160 multiples).
I am not shooting in RAW & I believe you cannot use the RAW histogram unless you are? I am using these indicators in movie mode though

a1ex

That's correct. The easiest way to check for this bug is in movie mode, with some raw recording module enabled (but the same bug can affect raw overlays in photo mode LiveView as well; it's just harder to diagnose there).

This was (hopefully) fixed in all models recently (until then, some models worked, others not, and it wasn't exactly the kind of bug that gets reported often).

pmus2017

Quote from: a1ex on March 21, 2017, 04:29:50 PM
That's correct. The easiest way to check for this bug is in movie mode, with some raw recording module enabled (but the same bug can affect raw overlays in photo mode LiveView as well; it's just harder to diagnose there).

This was (hopefully) fixed in all models recently (until then, some models worked, others not, and it wasn't exactly the kind of bug that gets reported often).
OK so you mean does the histogram shape stay identical when switching between those three ISOs? I can try switching on RAW but on the 70D when you press the ISO button a canon slider menu appears to let you select the ISO setting and the histogram disappears. It is therefore almost impossible to accurately compare histograms between ISO settings. Any suggestions?

a1ex

pmus2017

well I cannot see any difference between the three settings. The clip warnings appear to keep the same values across the three as well. Certainly no obvious change to my eye

a1ex

Then you may want to provide some screenshots with your bug report. If you take them in photo mode, make sure you include a raw histogram.

pmus2017

It is really not clear where to enter a bug report. At the top of this thread it talks alot about "filling in NOT OK" but doesnt say what that means nor link to anywhere?

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

DeafEyeJedi

Which build were you using @pmus2017?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

pmus2017

Quote from: nikfreak on March 21, 2017, 08:03:35 PM
like this:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg173584#msg173584
What I have to go through every feature to see if it works? Sorry don't have time to do that & don't use many features. Happy to give any more info needed about this specific problem though.

pmus2017

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 21, 2017, 08:22:14 PM
Which build were you using @pmus2017?
Nightly.2016Oct26.70D112  (the one at the top of the thread?)

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

pmus2017

Quote from: nikfreak on March 21, 2017, 09:00:31 PM
can you post a link to your screenshot(s) of your problem as requested please:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg181670#msg181670

Happy to help but when you say post a link - where do I upload the screenshots? Also please be specific about what you would like to see - shots that show the problem happening, or that test that raw histogram issue with the three different ISOs?
Thnx

Anantajit

Hi. This is my first post here.
Each time the camera is restarted REC-PicStyle swaps picture style only from the second clip recorded and onward.
The first time recording after each restart will always use whatever picture style is chosen as the "standard" one.
Thanks for all your great work!

christhechris

Again for better understanding:
Is ML increasing the Bitrate? Is the Video "RAW"? For 70D I can't setup the CBR (that I can also find in the description)
Will I have a better Videoquality compared to the standard 70D Firmware?

Best regards

Artemy

Hello. Does video shooting with bitrate for example 0,4 works with automatic restart without issues now? How long is the gap between? what about overheating?
Thanks

Anantajit

Not a big issue but it's an issue that time you forget the first recording and mess up your video with the wrong picstyle :)
I would really like to see the picture style change as soon as you flip the switch to video mode instead. That way we can preview the scene in Live View with the correct picture style from the start, before actual recording starts.
That's a suggestion for upcoming versions if it's possible. Thanks!

Andikiwi

@OlRivrRat

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. This is a first for me putting ML on a camera, so I wasn't sure if it were safe to use unless its been completed (if that even exists), but your reply has reassured me, so thanks :) will give it a go and post on here my feedback and if I come across any issues.

Artemy

Walter Schulz

First page of this thread offers some infos ...

ShootMeAlready

Overheat depends on ambient temp & throughput of video.
You can use astronomer's tricks to basically cool it when shooting for long periods of time.
They put it in a kind of cooler that supports shooting.

For most users ISO 800 & above you will start to get Hot Pixels.  This happens before overheats.

However ISO=100, and 14 bit raw video 720 @ 2:39 24fps is continuous and that would be a valid concern.
OliverRat reports he smoked his 70D circuit board from heavy use.  I dont think there is a simple answer.
If youre a starting a project with heavy use of the 70D then I'ld have a back-up camera.  That's probably the best
advice you will get.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

hummersallad

I intent to put together a Macro fisheye solution for my 70D based on this info:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/29958568915/#comment72157674444663445
The only annoying problem is that the live view image will be upside-down! :o
Is there a way to flip the image 180° in ML?

christhechris

Is the Bitrate and the Video quality better than with the srandard 70d firmware ? In 1.1.2 i cant setup the Bitrate... will the footage be raw? There is no documentary about this.

Guitarshredder1

Lmao I booted my camera up today to test before my first concert shoot tonight and got a blue screen of death, which I wasn't familiar with magic lantern and of course had me sweating bullets. I looked it up, forgetting what day it was and apparently it only happens on April 1, which is hilarious at first but then I realized I do need to shoot later today for a job. I changed the date in the canon menu, but would if it would be possible to remove this joke mode in a future update, that would be great. Thanks!

Aidan