Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lojzik

I found reason
if I first enable FRSP and then LV, in menu is only message about LV (It's my habit activate LV after ML settings from time, when ML menu autocloses in LV)
if I first enable LV and then FRSP, in menu is message about manual mode. And this is only one info about this requirement. In module description is info only about LV. When I use hlfshutter, I get info about (M) only if intervalometer is enabled, without intervalometer nothing.

edit: So if I enable FRSP and then LV without intervalometer without (M) (I mean its legal, If I use this approach with M, it works), I never get information about (M) mode.
70D.112

a1ex

There's little room to display all the requirements; to keep things simple, the menu backend just displays the first one. You fix that one, then it displays the next one, and so on.

lojzik

Yes, I understand. But dont forget rest of my post. If I enable intervalometer and use hlfshutter, I get info about (M). If I disable intervalometer and use hlfshutter, I get no info. Is it possible display info about (M) if I use hlfshutter without intervalometer? It would be a solution.
70D.112

lojzik

I have problem with opening mlv from filemanager without using LV after camera turn on.
turn on camera -> file manager -> open mlv -> view -> noise and "YUV buffer was not initialized" -> enable LV -> disable LV -> filemanager -> open mlv -> view  -> OK -> turn off -> turn on -> ... -> view -> noise and error -> ...
70D.112

waxsatanic

Hi, Team,

Brand new to Magic Lantern. I have a few introductory questions that I hope you can clear up for me (or help me find resources that already discuss it).

I just updated my Canon 70D to firmware version 1.1.2 and installed the 70D Nightly ML build onto a fresh SD card. I followed the instructions accurately and tried it out on my camera. Since I'm new I didn't understand until just now that the nightly build is virtually brand new and is in stages of development. The videos I've seen on YouTube are actually describing 1.1.1 or another version, which were probably more stable.

I'm almost exclusively a stills photographer and new to ML. Should I uninstall it and wait until more progress has been made on this version?

I'm noticing some issues with the performance and want to know if I'm doing something wrong, if these are known issues, or if I should be reporting these as bugs.

The basic issue is that more often then not when taking the very first exposure, ML will crash and I will have to hard-reboot with a battery removal. I'm sorry that I don't have the camera in front of me to give you more details, but every time it happens it scares me (probably because I'm new to ML and a little gun shy.)

What are best practices for handling a crash?

The other main issue is that the magic zoom window flickers wildly.

A smaller issue is that the readout for aperture size and shutter speed lags behind when I change them on my camera by a good second or two.

Should I start over with a clean download and install? Could that clear up my issues?

A few other questions: Does ML take advantage of the 70D's dual-pixel autofocus currently? I read a few pages back that the AF stuff isn't working for 1.1.2 right now-- did I understand that correctly? For some reason the Live View AF with AL seems not as strong/precise, although that could be my imagination.

Thank you for your time!

nikfreak

You need to exactly describe the steps so we can reproduce your crashes. My initial thought is that you might have loaded the lua module?!
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

waxsatanic

I probably did-- I need to check it out when I get home in a bit. I used a youtube video tutorial about how to use ML for a Canon 70D that was probably for the 1.1.1 version. It suggested to load many modules. I didn't realize at first that the 1.1.2 ML program was brand spanking new and therefore possibly undersupported and/or unstable.

Is there a user guide for this new 1.1.2 beta ML, or a least a list of modules I *shouldn't* load?

I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to my camera!  :-X

OlRivrRat

@WaxSatanic

You won't get much help in the M'L' User Manual Area as the MLUM is Ancient & Not Camera Specific

(or @Least that was the case the last time I looked into it).

As to the Stability of the Latest Build ~ My Guess would be that it is probably much more stable than

previous Builds due to the fact that it was built using an Official Firmware Update provided by Canon.

As to which Modules to Load ~ Only those that You Feel You will Use on a Regular Basis.

I Normally leave the following Disabled ~

arkanoid.mo

bench.mo

lua.mo

selftest.mo

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

DeafEyeJedi

No damage should be done. Simply use the modules that you are going to use.

Quote from: OlRivrRat on November 04, 2016, 04:41:21 PM
I Normally leave the following Disabled ~

arkanoid.mo

bench.mo

lua.mo

selftest.mo

This should be a good start for you to try @waxsatanic!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

lojzik

found problem with FRSP and image review settings canonmnu:Hold->Play

set review settings canonmnu:Hold->play
enable FRSP
[half-shutter]
black display with "Half-shutted pressed..."
release [half-shutter]
no picture taken and displayed last photo

70D.112

waxsatanic

Thank you all for the help!

Indeed I did have the LUA module running and when I disabled it, everything worked fine. I'm learning how to use ML effectively now.

One thing I am trying to figure out is how to use the Magic Zoom with manual focus. I want to be able to manually focus in dark conditions using Magic Zoom-- it may be faster and more accurate this way with some skill. When I switch my lens to manual the Magic Zoom is disabled. I guess if I keep the lens in Single Shot focus mode and not AI servo and use back button focus I should be able to hand focus using the Magic zoom as a guide. Or maybe not-- I seem to remember that Live View wanted to keep focusing even on that setting. Is there a way I can stop Live View from autofocusing as well as keeping Magic Zoom on?

Is there a place where people share settings and techniques for the 70D using ML? I'm really looking to trade techniques for still photography to take full advantage of ML. Both the 70D and ML are new to me so there is a lot I need to learn about how everything works before I am proficient. I don't want to miss any critical shots, either!

Thanks!

farrellts

Thanks all for the helpful replies.  It is interesting that I just managed to successfully connect via USB and access files on my 70D.  However, just before that I got a crash.  Not sure what sequence I did which made it work, will have to experiment and get back.  I will also upload crash log here.

I think I understand what was shared about holding "Setup" with fingernail versus thumb -- sounds kind of like how one sometimes needs a ball point pen to correctly hold the reset button on a router or a Roku.  Anyhow, I will give that a try.

In answer to what the crash "looks like", it is ERR 70 (which seems pretty generic).  The crash happens while Magic Lantern is loading modules.  Did not see exactly which module it crashes on but perhaps the log will show that.  I will try disabling the specific LUA module mentioned and see if that makes a difference.  Anyhow, when it crashes, the little portion of the screen with the command-line display of modules loading turns into a corrupted image and freezes.  I guess I can take a photo of that next time with my cell phone and upload.

BTW, these were just JPG and MOV files, nothing fancy, and in fact I am a little embarrassed to say that, when I shot those, I was just using the basic Canon menus and only accessed the Magic Lantern menus to turn off all of its features.  I was just visiting friends over Halloween and photographing their Boston terriers and an old run-down cemetery in Dallas.  (Wish I had been shooting raw images and had brought my Zoom 4N for the latter, because I inadvertently got some really creepy audio which I honestly cannot explain while shooting video at one particular grave.)

Anyhow, thanks again to for the very useful information.  I was only expressing trepidation as regards "yelling" because I had seem some of that in other parts of the Magic Lantern forum -- and in fact, when people don't do their homework, perhaps some gentle "yelling" is appropriate.  In terms of homework, I honestly need to reread the available docs on what Magic Lantern features are and are not available for EOS 70D and also this entire forum thread.  That seems to be the entirety of the available documentation, right?  (At some point later on, I'll probably be interested in reviewing how Magic Lantern interfaces with the EOS firmware -- the C/C++ code and LUA modules.  LUA is one scripting language I have not worked with but it does look like fun.  Would be nice to add a module for Twittering Donald Trump at 3am?)

I'll be back with crash log(s), photo of crash screen and more narrative.
Tom Farrell 70D.111A

Cadkey

Your signature is 70D.111A, ML Beta-4a is not compatible with 70D.111A
You must update your Canon firmware
70D.112

JChance

Hey is there version 112A available? I recently redownload ML onto my 70D and the other vers. of the nightly build that is compatible with my camera has been wiped off the website?

Walter Schulz

There is no 112A, there is no 112B. Most recent version covers all cams with firmware 1.1.2.

JChance

So do i have to upgrade the firmware of my camera before putting ML on now?

because it still says update to 1.1

Walter Schulz

JChance

screw my question i realized 5 seconds after i posted that its common sense

whoops

farrellts

As an update on prior posts, it is curious that, once I had moved the bulk of the photos I had taken off my 70D's SD card, I no longer had any further issues with connecting via USB.  No idea why this should matter, since:
1) the image files took up only a fraction of the SD card's 32gb capacity;
2) the SD card is a Sandisk Extreme with rather high data transfer rates; and
3) I had used SDCardFormatter to format the SD Card per instructions for instlaling Magic Lantern.

However, do not despair, as I continue to encounter the same "Err 70" elseshere -- specifically it has happened while shooting still images saved as raw under one or more settings on the "mode" dial.  Since I do have two identical 32gb SD cards with the latest Magic Lantern for 70D version on them, perhaps if I switch them out I can isolate further what looks here like some kind of data throughput write error.

Again, this occurred just using the basic Canon menus for the most part right now.  Not sure but it may have been under SCN" mode.

(I really AM interested in the additional functionality offered by Magic Lantern and actually DO find the Magic Lantern menus a good bit more intuitive than Canon's, but somebody found out I was setting up lights to shoot myself  a new headshot for IMDB, and all the sudden it seems I'm having to shoot headshots for everybody and their dog.)

Not to digress (too much) but in fact I had bought this camera primarily for its excellent video capabilities, for which one pretty much only wants the thing set to "manual" ("M") mode.  Now I am shooting test stills in several modes and find the Canon menus and even more so the "Quick Control" screen stifflingly awkward.  Perhaps because they are designed for a wide variety of technical and photographic expertise levels -- and I especially hate all the clutter with novice-level features which are great for somebody shooting the family vacation or Junior's first birthday but serve no purpose for anybody who knows how to edit photos and video on a PC or Mac  On the other hand, Magic Lantern's menus presume technical competence, don't dumb down for the casual user, and give me a lot more features to grow into.  (Only wish the Magic Lantern menus did not periodically flicker in and our of live view but I did read the disclaimer about what does not currently and may never work due to 70D's firmware.)  So thanks to the developers for this!

Anyhow, when I can isolate specific situations where I get "Err 70" while shooting stills, I will post again.

Tom Farrell 70D.111A

farrellts

Additional testing shows that my 70D freezes, while shooting still, with "Err 70", only when I have the camera set to capture raw images.  When I just sent the camera to capture jpegs (of any size), it seems NEVER to freeze up while shooting stills.  As before, I am just doing testing prior to taking a bunch of headshots and am just using the Canon menus at this point since this is nothing very sophisticated.

Meanwhile, I found connecting by USB again became an issue.  Pops up with "Err 70" and requires reboot.   It appears to be related to the presence of raw image files.  I don't really get it because a file is just a file (unless the camera-side and/or PC-side drivers think otherwise I guess.  No problem, for now, using SD card reader on my laptop when needed.

I'll use my other SD card later today and see what happens.

BTW, it seems these two cards are actually Sandisk "Ultra" capable of 80mb/second.  Sandisk has so many variations on "ultra" / "extreme" / "pro", it boggles them mind.  I could probably find an SD card with a faster data transfer rate but 80mb/s seems perfectly adequate and I don't thinkk that is what is at issue.

Will report more after using alternate SD card.  Also please see folloing message regarding the crash and boot logs:
Tom Farrell 70D.111A

farrellts

*** NOTE ***

I was going to attach a concatenated versions of the "crash##.log" and "log##.log" files from tonight's testing (because it is a LOT of files!) , but I do not see a button by which to upload attachments.  Can anybody clue me in?  I can also just copy/past the contents of these files into this forum, but that might be a bit much for people to have to page through.  Have I missed the procedure for submitting these logs to developers?  An email address or send in a private message to a given user?

MEANWHILE, the crash logs are all very similar, and involve a memory management issue.  Here is a sample error message:

at ./Memory/Memory.c:188, task ShootPreDevelop

The line number within "Memory.c" is usually, but not always 188, and the "task" involved also varies.  There might have been a couple other modules involved in addition to "Memory.c".  I guess I can grep a list of unique errors if that would be helpful?

Just let me know where to send these logs and I will be glad to do so.  Thanks.
Tom Farrell 70D.111A

Danne

Put them in a text file and link it from google drive, dropbox or similar.

nikfreak

@farrellts: which build are you running? Is it "magiclantern-Nightly.2016Oct26.70D112.zip" from 1st post? Did you previously run 111 firmware?

Your problem is probably caused by an old ettr module. Check camslide's posts after this one. Otherwise be sure to have lua module disabled.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

PFinnegan

Hello there, and thanks for all the work you guys have done on ML. The benefits are enormous!

My question relates to some differences I am seeing in the ML menu structure on my 70D FW v112. The reason why I am looking at these options is that I am trying record HD video from the 70D's HDMI port to an Atomos Shogun Flame. Even with the Canon power save option disabled, the 70D still drops the mirror after 30 minutes (as you know).  There are solutions offered on this board but the options that need to be set do not seem to be available on my ML menus. So here are the specifics:

First, I don't see a Misc Key option in the Prefs menu (so I can set sticky halfshutter). A screen shot of what I am seeing is available here. (I tried embedding the image in the post but it didn't work from DropBox.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5ni1gprq48aa7v/ml_prefs.JPG?dl=0

Second, As I searched the forum regarding how to disable power save, I have seen references to the ability to "disable" power save in ML. Even the ML tips at the bottom of the power save in liveview submenu say "if enabled" making me think it can be disabled. However, I am seeing no options for disabling power save. Here are two screen shots that show you what I am seeing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yyye5zwydcy0ef/ml_power_1.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uzuj6edcgcrk00/ml_power_2.JPG?dl=0

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cadkey

@PFinnegan:
Set "use shortcut key" OFF
70D.112