Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

lojzik

is it good new for ML development? I suppose, it's not compatible with current ML?
70D.112

nikfreak

Good for ML indeed. I don't recommend to install it for now until I announce support for it. You won't be able to downgrade at the moment.

DeafEyeJedi

Great find @nikfreak and indeed I didn't think this would happen this soon either if ever!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Frarike

Got excited that this could possibly fix my camera but then I remembered I cant open the menu to install the update anyway. :/
70D.112

Cadkey

70D.112

Cadkey

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 20, 2016, 05:54:08 PM
Would you mind to tell us how?

Now it's official, with the update 70D00112 mate ;)
70D.112

nikfreak

Quote from: Cadkey on September 30, 2016, 08:50:02 AM
@Frarike
You can with EOS utility

This indeed should work. I already started to update the 100D port. Once that's finished I'll do it for 70D. If any of you has already installed 1.1.2 onto his 70D then drop me a PM.

ShootMeAlready

For those who dont speak german
http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0400270102.html

I wonder if once installed if we get a unified ML build ???

Update fixes: It shoots 4k 120fps raw video with added 20 stop DR for 1 frame
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

OlRivrRat

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

captainlawrence

Hi, I have recently updated the firmware of my 70D to 1.1.2 . Anyway, before the update, the camera info showed me only 1.1.1 without specifying A or B. Is there a different way to understand that? Canon software on El Capitan did not work. The same on Sierra. On Windows 10 it works, I assume that Canon is updating mostly for PC.
Now, the question. Is there a ML Beta release which I can use on my 70D with 1.1.2 update?
Thanks a lot,
Alfredo 

starbase64

@captainlawrence

please read three posts back...

Daniel

My 70D is overheating.  I noticed someone mention on here about overheating.  Is the cause ML?  If so, are there settings that will keep the 70D from overheating?  i did search and didn't find anything.
current: 70D 112
old cameras: T3i, T1i

Walter Schulz

To prevent 70D from overheating just remove battery. Permanently, of course.

Or tell us how to reproduce your findings. Hard data, please.

Daniel

shooting 29.97fps, 1920x1080, shutter 1/62.50, iso 100.  lcd brightness set to 4.
canon support suggested turning down, but level 3 is pretty dark.

i recorded one clip for 12:30 and then another, but the camera froze at 13:30.

the battery area got super hot and camera lcd was black with the red led flashing.
turned off camera and removed battery.  permanently?  you mean for a minute?

was using as a b-camera so was not watching the lcd when it froze.
current: 70D 112
old cameras: T3i, T1i

a1ex

FYI, the LCD is unlikely to cause overheating. (source)

When the camera freezes, it depends on what hardware modules remain active at the moment of crash. Just the CPU running in a tight loop is unlikely to cause overheating by itself, but if the LiveView interrupts are still running, and probably most other processing modules remain active, all that adds up. So yes, a crash may (or may not) cause overheating.

Either way, it looks like you should find a way to reproduce the crash.

Marsu42

Quote from: nikfreak on October 04, 2016, 12:16:06 AM
What's not working
* Only fast zebras work (no raw zebras)
* Trap focus only works in photo mode (not Liveview). All other focus features are disabled (follow, rack, ...)
* Dualiso only works in photo mode (Looks like we are stuck in movie mode atm like 50D / 7D)

@all current 70d users and devs active on 70d:

I'm thinking about getting a used 70d as a replacement for my 60d that just broke (well, 330k shutter cycles...) as I don't see ML on 80d anytime soon. I don't fully understand ML's status on the 70d and the prospect of the features, this not getting merged doesn't feel good :-\ ...

1. raw histogram - I take it at least this works on 70d even though raw zebras don't?

2. rack focus for focus stacking - is this completely broken on 70d or is there still hope (lens.c: "focus stacking is still buggy and takes 1 behind and 1 before all others afterwards are before at the same position no matter what's set in menu")?

3. dual_iso - is this working 100% in photo mode, or are there any unexpected problems to be expected?

I did some ML development on 60d and 6d, but with the latter I was frustrated by things that simply won't work "ever" like focus patterns - that's why I'm asking if there's active development on 70d other than adapting the stubs for a new fw version.

a1ex

1. no, but I have an idea how to fix. It will require changing the memory map of Canon code (so, a bit invasive), but we had some trouble with cache hacks (required for this change) on 70D (here) that I'm not sure how to start troubleshooting.

2. it will probably require some low-level reverse engineering (along these lines)

nikfreak

Hey, Marsu42. I already started upgrading 70D to 1.1.2 so count this job almost done.

70D needs some unique trading and I admit that (if you got time) helping hands would be useful. Handling different revisions of a firmware number (1.1.1) didn't make it easy in terms of bug reporting and "valueing" user reports.

FPS override, dualiso in video mode and "raw zebras when quickreviewing after a shot" are broken atm. Being first cam with dualpixel AF didn't make it easy on 70D. As stated in 1st post most focus features don't work atm.

aedipuss

i don't use either of those lenses so updating my 70d with the new firmware is not going to change anything.  i won't update the firmware unless a new ml update requires it.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

nikfreak

we are not far away from that state  :P
There will indeed be no way back to 1.1.1 and support for the different revisions of the 1.1.1 will be stopped. Future updates will only be available for 1.1.2. the developers / maintainer will take a deep breath and be happy for getting rid of revision handling.

Marsu42

Quote from: nikfreak on October 04, 2016, 02:09:48 PM
70D needs some unique trading and I admit that (if you got time) helping hands would be useful. Handling different revisions of a firmware number (1.1.1) didn't make it easy in terms of bug reporting and "valueing" user reports.

FPS override, dualiso in video mode and "raw zebras when quickreviewing after a shot" are broken atm. Being first cam with dualpixel AF didn't make it easy on 70D. As stated in 1st post most focus features don't work atm.

Thanks alex & nikfreak ... reading "cache hacks" and "low level re" doesn't make me feel like the solution is right around the corner, esp. if newer and more promising digic6 bodies will get more attention in the future. Afaik, these hacks were considered dodgy at best in the past, and if mpu reverse engineering would be realistic before hell freezes over alex would have accessed that $!#%& viewfinder and phase af system by now :-p

I don't currently have a 70d, and if it's missing 2/3 of the vital features I want to use I guess I'll either go straight to a 80d (that isn't much more expensive, go figure) or stick with a 100% supported camera like 60d or 6d :-o. Using these, it's easy to forget that ML isn't supported by Canon and it's a sheer miracle all these features used to be working...

ShootMeAlready

Mars
I would say that dual iso working for still pic, means it is around the corner for video.
There is a variable fps release, which works a bit, so it could be around the corner.
Just these two would greatly improve the 70D, which is revolutionary mainly because of its video features.

But presently 70D ML does have
- focus peaks, zebras, rgb H264 histo with warnings (which being jpeg is ok because the 70D is too under-gunned for serious raw video use but fine for All-I compressed H264 video).
All which 80D does not have for video

- combine with flat pic style to improve DR, upto ISO 1600 without significant noise, DPAF for action video, touchscreen focus for pulls, and tilt swivel screen for hard to get angles

I think the combo of above features still makes the 70D the most useful H264 video oriented DSLR. And around the corner it may become even better.

If all youre concerned about is still shooting, then I would agree with you that there are better DSLRs with ML release out there. The 7D
has similar focus system as the 70D, and it has the key ML still shooter features you want.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Walter Schulz

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on October 05, 2016, 05:48:07 PM
I would say that dual iso working for still pic, means it is around the corner for video.

Wow! Dual-ISO movie around the corner for 5D2, 50D and 7D, too?

nikfreak

Here we go for the first test release based upon firmware version 1.1.2 (will not work with 1.1.1):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9Mu66yg5QzRd19Udk1pMF9ZNzg

Thanks @DeafEyeJedi for a lot of private testing.