Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan101

Hi guys, just reporting a bug

version B firmware
Full size raw stills, 2 second showing of the taken image
ML options all at default.
Beta build 23 April, 2016
"Raw error, falling back to YUV overlays" is noted in the bottom left of the screen when the captured image is shown on the screen. If you need more specifics, please advise.

a1ex

Load raw_diag (first post), enable "Dump RAW Buffer" and "Optical Black Zones", disable all other analysis options, then take a picture. Once you found a picture that triggers the error, upload the DNG and the screenshot.

nikfreak

Thanx for reporting. That one was always there in terms of broken "RAW zebras in QR" but hidden. The feature itself is undefined in features.h but the "black level fix PR" introduced just the message to print on the LCD. So nothing to worry about but we will find a solution for that by either hiding it again to avoid confusion or fix it somehow / somewhen. if you are interested in more details you may take a look into the 70D-PR discussions on bitbucket. Especially how it would look alike if we would use "raw zebras in QR". Once we discussed about it we stopped again after realizing that only a "burst sequence" would help and something seems to write into the buffer.

edit: Placed link to raw_diag.mo to top of first post
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

ShootMeAlready

Ignis
On my 600D which does not have All-I compression bit rates increases are more critical.
The 70D ALL-I is just as good as max bit-rate enhancement, and supports ISO 1600, so its better than raw video for low light ~ IMHO.
I think the 70D is best used with ALL-I for video.
Raw video on 70D is frought with issues, 720p continuous or 1600/2:49 at 60s max. clip time,
but max ISO of 800 unless you want to worry about hot pixels or low light shadow noise.

Andre
My suggestions for focus peaks on, and zebras I would only worry about overexposure which 1% is pretty good.
If you shoot raw, and by that I mean timelapse or still pics then ETTR, which many recommend a 1/3rd of a stop.

RGB histo, I stopped using it as the peaks & zebras are all I need for clipping (perhaps on stills review or shot set-up).
On occasion magic zoom with 3X lossless zoom, but if you really want to get the best manual focus check,
I suggest LCD loupe with 3X magnification.  Its more precise than focus boxes.
Especially good if you poke a whole in bottom of loupe and use touchscreen AF in video to pull focus.
Use the flash button to on/off aiservo and youve got a rather powerful video camera that pulls focus, follows focus, or fixes AF while shooting. ~ JMHO
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

lojzik

Quote from: a1ex on April 24, 2016, 07:09:28 PM
Load raw_diag (first post), enable "Dump RAW Buffer" and "Optical Black Zones", disable all other analysis options, then take a picture. Once you found a picture that triggers the error, upload the DNG and the screenshot.
how to use this module? If I enable "RAW diagnostic" and take picture or execute XXX Bracket, I get only standard photo and "raw error" and nothing else.
70D.112

andy kh

i welcome myself to 70D forum as i have upgraded to 70D from 650D
5D Mark III - 70D

SerranoTheHun

Hi,

I'm planning to install ML on my 70D, but I'm still in hesitation. I'll have to record a wedding in a week and I'm still not sure if I should Install it or just use CineStyle. Installation doesn't seem to be difficult. Can anyone help me with a short instruction please?

Thank you all!!

Walter Schulz

I suppose your hidden question is about recording RAW/MLV instead of H.264.
You may try it the next days but keep in mind:
- RAW/MLV on 70D is limited to about 720p24 for continuous recording.
- RAW/MLV may slow down your pp workflow. You may have to use some tools unfamiliar to you and may have to fight some unfamiliar issues.

What about recording H.264 using ML overlays? Zebras, focus peak and some other features may come handy.

SerranoTheHun

I dont want to use raw for the wedding, The original 1080p is fine for now. But ML has some handy features as I see. The installation is not really clear yet.

Walter Schulz

ML doesn't replace custom picture styles. Therefore "install it or just use Cinestyle" doesn't make sense.
And what is unclear about install instructions?
=====

• Download latest release for 70D.111A / 70D.111B (nothing to worry about: ML-SETUP.FIR won't attempt to continue if you chose the wrong zip -> try the other one in that case  :P)
  • Extract the zip-file to the root of your sdcard
  • Run the camera firmware update and read the screen instructions

SerranoTheHun

I thought it was going to be harder. I installed it, but the battery died few minutes after so I'm waiting but it was working very nicely. Focus peeking will be very useful for me. I noticed that tha ML setting is flashing en every ten seconds. Is that the bug relating to settings disappear?

Cheers! :D ;)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: SerranoTheHun on May 02, 2016, 09:02:10 PMI noticed that tha ML setting is flashing en every ten seconds. Is that the bug relating to settings disappear?
That's the workaround for first item in "What's not working" list.

Frarike

Does anyone get error 70 when taking a picture in liveview with all modules loaded and only focus peaking overlay?
70D.112

dmilligan

I'm not sure if Lua has made its way into 70D builds, but if it has and you have lua.mo loaded and try to load all the scripts, you might be seeing the err70 because of this. Lua uses a lot of memory and causes fragmentation that leaves not very many larger blocks. Canon firmware usually gives and err70 when it can't allocate enough memory to do whatever it was trying to do. You can post a screenshot of Debug > Free Memory, and try unloading the Lua module or deleting some of the scripts.

sectorchan

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest version for my 70D, did the Update.
I would like to use the Motion detect.
But no matter what I configure, it doesnt work.
The squares which should appear, (from Youtube videos) doesn't.
I there an issue? Or do I need  to spend attention to some other settings which blocks the motion detect?

ShootMeAlready

For motion detect, ensure your lens is in AF.
Check your display/menu and ensure aiservo or movieservo is enabled.  This can in video mode
be turned off via flash button.  If its grey on the display then its off.
Aiservo does not work in 3X or 10X video zoom modes.

As for the box you are after, well there are three different boxes based on AF mode - zone (single or multi) or facial recog.  The boxes look slightly different based on the AF mode.

Check these first.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Frarike

Quote from: dmilligan on May 04, 2016, 04:32:24 AM
I'm not sure if Lua has made its way into 70D builds, but if it has and you have lua.mo loaded and try to load all the scripts, you might be seeing the err70 because of this. Lua uses a lot of memory and causes fragmentation that leaves not very many larger blocks. Canon firmware usually gives and err70 when it can't allocate enough memory to do whatever it was trying to do. You can post a screenshot of Debug > Free Memory, and try unloading the Lua module or deleting some of the scripts.

Think you're correct thanks.
70D.112

sectorchan

Hi,

I was speaking about these boxes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igE7R2RC-9A Maybe they are cam related?
Does the motion detect only works in movie mode?

DrKipKnight

Had a hard memory fault using Beta 3b in Tv mode.

crash00.log:

ASSERT: FALSE
at ./Memory/Memory.c:188, task MetaCtg
lv:1 mode:15

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2016Mar08.70D111A
Mercurial changeset   : 5cc959aee33d (70D-merge) tip
Built on 2016-03-08 14:39:56 UTC by ml@ml-pc.
Free Memory  : 64K + 1002K

Corresponding to "log001.log":

Mon May  2 07:23:06 2016

dmilligan

@DrKipKnight, See my reply #2463

OlRivrRat

@ DMilligan

Lau.mo Does Not appear under the Modules Tab on the 70D
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

nikfreak

lua.mo is included since it has been merged into unified. check modules dir

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

Oooops ~ Didn't find it earlier because the Modules are in Alphabetical Order & Grouped by On & Off

& I failed to scroll down into the Off Group ~ What is its Purpose?
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

jprovidenza

I just installed the 23rd Apr on my 70D and have a couple of comments.

First - I really like ML and appreciate the work that goes on to make it happen.

I notice a problem with buttons that I think is ongoing.  In still photography, when I push
the playback button then the + button to enlarge the image, it jumps to full zoom immediately.
I think the "set"  button is also "twitchy".

The second issue should probably be directed to the ETTR forum, but maybe it belongs here???
I use the "set" button to trigger ETTR. Given you need to be in RAW mode AND manual mode AND
the ISO value set to non-auto, it would be nice if when either of these is wrong and you press "set"
that the ETTR module would print something saying whats wrong.  It took me a set these values after
loading the latest version.

John P
Canon 70D.111A

nikfreak

Quote from: jprovidenza on May 06, 2016, 05:15:31 AM
the playback button then the + button to enlarge the image, it jumps to full zoom immediately.
I think the "set"  button is also "twitchy".

disable QZ

Quote from: jprovidenza on May 06, 2016, 05:15:31 AM
it would be nice if when either of these is wrong and you press "set"
that the ETTR module would print something saying whats wrong. 

ML handes stuff like that with menu warnings. Nothing wrong here.