Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronsanut

Ronsanut

Once I install Magic Lantern if I install a new SD card will the camera still retain the firmware or do I have to have the install the ML files on every SD card I use and reinstall it with each SD card used?

OlRivrRat

@ Rosanut

Yes ~ M'L' needs to be Loaded on each SD Card that you wish to use with M'L' Functionality.

The path that I would suggest would be to go through All the M'L' Settings that you think you might

be using on a Regular Basis & make any changes that you desire. Then Copy the M'L' Related Items

from that Card back to your computer, copy those items to any additional Cards, put them in your 70D,

Start it up, Do a FirmWare Update (Each Card 1 Time Only) & you're done. Any time that you make any

Changes to any M'L' Settings that you might want on Other Cards, simply copy the "settings" Folder from

the "ML" Folder on that "Changed" Card to the "ML" Folder on the Other Cards & you're Done Again. This

"Settings Copy&Paste" also is very handy when Updates to M'L' become available.

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

ciriuss925

Hello guys I am using an older Magic Lantern software for my Canon 70D.  I only have a question about DUAL-ISO images taken with 70D:

I have been able to manipulate regular (non-ML) RAW files with ACR - but it seems like my DUAL-ISO images are typically less sharp than regular images?  Also, I have noticed that there is a slight hint of red/pink noise specifically in the dark areas when I turn up the Shadow dial in ACR.  Is that normal?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ciriuss925

Hi Jedi, I'd like to ask for your tips on how to edit to eliminate (or soften)  those pinkish noise in the shadows for dual-iso images?  Thank you!

DeafEyeJedi

Perhaps you haven't tried using chroma smoothing (CS_2x2) which helps at the cost of resolution loss (tho mild) ... It becomes more noticeable CS_5x5 afaik!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ciriuss925

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 20, 2016, 06:48:40 AM
Perhaps you haven't tried using chroma smoothing (CS_2x2) which helps at the cost of resolution loss (tho mild) ... It becomes more noticeable CS_5x5 afaik!

Hi Jedi where do I install the chroma smoother for OSX ?  Thank you!

masterhks

This last update have more bugs than preview version!

jprovidenza

If you have problems with the latest version, you should be more specific so the developers can address them.

John P
Canon 70D.111A

styleukno

When installing this current version, the march release, will all my settings get set to default again?

OlRivrRat

@Styleukno

My Post #2377 above explains how to Save (Copy&Paste) Them into an Update ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

1connu

Sorry, I don't speak very good English :(
I just want to know if it is possible with a 70d and magic lantern to have a clean HDMI signal (more than 8bits) for an external recorder (atomos ninja blade) ? Thank you very much

ahsan

Hi,
I am trying to use the latest HDR workflow.

If I install as in the README using the included version of avisynth
I get the following error message on running main.cmd (in a command window on Windows 10 , 64 bit)
Avisynth Open Failure:
FFVideosource: Can't open '..\RAW.MOV'
(C:\Downloads\HDR-workflow-051\scripts\hdr_split.avs, line 8 (line eight))

I uninstalled Avisynth (and noticed that the directory was named 2.5)
So I downloaded the 2.5 version
Now with 2.5 I get a different error message

Avisynth Open Failure:
FFVideoSource: Video Codec Not Found "ScriptDir"
(C:\Downloads\HDR-workflow-051\scripts\hdr_split.avs, line 8' )

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Walter Schulz

Are you doing HDR in H.264 (MOV) or RAW or MLV?
Upload a short clip somewhere and link it here.

ahsan

I'm doing HDR in MLV (RAW). After recorded I convert the footage in .mov format through using MlRawViewer then I copy my footage in HDR-workflow-051 folder and renamed the footage name into RAW. I installed avisynth.
When I run main.cmd but it didn't work.
It shows error,
FFVideosource: Can't open '..\RAW.MOV' blah blah. Please help me.

My file size is too big to upload. My net upload speed is also too weak.  :(

Walter Schulz

"Short clip" = "A few frames will do"
Don't have a 70D ...

ahsan

Finally uploaded. Sorry for late response. Here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kvd4s7a1r4kw8g/M25-0518.MLV?dl=0
Thanks in advance.  :)

Walter Schulz

Reproduced your error.
Please retest with H.264 HDR clip. I suppose you will see the same error again.

ahsan

Why I will see the same error again? Is there any solution for this problem? What am I doing wrong?

Walter Schulz

First: Delete your modifications and unzip a1ex' zip again and retry with H.264 HDR out-of-the-cam.
If problem persists please upload a small H.264 HDR clip and link it here.

ahsan

Hey, it worked in H.264 HDR. Thanks, you save my life.
But I want to record in MLV HDR. Is it possible to record in MLV (raw) ?

styleukno

@OlRivrRat

thank you very much!

Arjayu

Hi,
Sorry to be very new ; used to be slr film camera 30 years ago, now new 70D, photo course 1 month, ML 12 hours!

Hope it is not obvious but I can't find in FAQ or forum how people best use the extra still features?
Is there a post i should be looking at?

[addendum ; i see http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8443.0 so will look further...]

1. AutoETTR ; best with Av mode, AutoSnap as quite a few "gave up" reports on Manual / AutoSnap?
[btw thanks , looks a good implementation to me and looking forward to the print trial and outcome]

1a.  AutoETTR ; best with M mode, for AlwaysON ; but not as easy to follow the settings and outcome?

[I think 1 and 1a fixed best by ensuring a good "average exposure estimate from settings before taking the shot....]

2. DualISO ; I see I need to process the RAW in a separate program (I see reference to cr2hdr** or similar) or just straight into Lightroom (looks OK though I can see the lines if magnified)?
[addendum 2 ; "cr2hdr"  ; I read on forum it is "included with the download" ; does that mean in the zip file?

i see also youtube instruction, so I'll look ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbqfptpNac ] ;
but i get error that "the file does not appear to be dualiso" from lightroom

then with beta, lightroom doesn't process it, cr2hdr.exe goes through the dos details and makes a large DNG file, but lightroom can't read it!

[I see I am not alone ; 6D with similar problem in another post
example cr2 untouched
Removed as not needed;

** solved this by downloading the crhdr from th original aithor's post from 15 days ago, so i suspect the wrong file is in the plugin.zip s? ***?

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Other%20tasks/job/cr2hdr-20bit/

3. Autoexposure ; how best to use and other Canon settings to turn off first?

4. MLbracketing ; guide to best setup? ; no point if AutoETTR working OK anyway?

5. no help files working ; I saw a reference back to the install guide ; will i find it there?
can't find help with this yet ; are they supposed to be in the 70D 111A ml file?

6. live view is fairly black until i press bbf af button ; is that usual?

7. back led very dark in movie view ; any fix?

Fixed LV/movie screen  problem by turning off Digic peaking, keeping normal peaking [the mildest type OK , but i saw some people having frame dropout even with that in movie mode, so turned it off.....]

Cheers, Randall ;

and apologies in advance if I have missed beginner hints elsewhere  ; I have seen the FAQ and basic User guide already, but not detailed enough newbie guide for me I fear?
70d feb 2016 ;  ML version 70D version A [ https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Other%20tasks/job/cr2hdr-20bit/ ]; AUTOettr going well ; very new 2016 ;thanks to A1ex et al v much!
great batch processing for Dualiso ;
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17062.msg165556#msg165556

notthatjesus

Have you considered reintroducing fps override in future releases, albeit with a hard limit placed on the possible max FPS? Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but, from what I've gathered from reading through some of the pages in this thread, the feature was removed because of a noticeable dip in quality when set to anything higher than 24 fps. I understand the reasoning behind that but some users—such as myself—may use it primarily to shoot time lapse footage. In my case the quality is not so important as I usually turn it to weird, experimental-type footage. I know people traditionally use the intervalometer for time lapses but the result isn't quite as smooth as when done with video, especially when there is a lot of movement in the time lapse. It's kinda hard to explain in words so here's an example of what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_xBuAQGfY

Anyways, it's not a huge deal as I'm using the last alpha build at the moment that has it enabled but it would be nice to stay up-to-date with other fixes implemented in future updates.