Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikTheElectric

Quote from: TechnoPilot on January 10, 2016, 08:31:05 AM

Let's make something clear, if you think you are shooting in 1080p 60fps then you are very wrong on one of these as the camera is not capable of this resolution and frame rate.  You are either shooting in 1080p 30/24 or 720p 60.  The camera is not capable of transcoding the footage as you claim it is doing, ensure that you are connecting the camera to the computer via the USB cable or better yet, using an SD card reader and directly copying the files.  However before you do this, ensure you take control of your settings and check what resolution you are actually recording in, what video compression you are using (All-I or IPB), what film style you are using (all sharpening should be done in post for best results) and what your ISO, shutter and aperture settings are.

ML allows you to get a lot more out of the camera, but it is definitely best to ensure you can utilize the camera as it comes from Canon first, before diving into what ML has to offer.

Interesting, I was under the impression that I was able to get the camera to shoot in 1080. But now that I think of it, I was actually choosing the "1280/60 IPB" Function, because I need the higher FPS. Even then, still uploading those clips into FCP put it into 720p automatically. Despite the fact that it was shot in 1280.. Formatting issue?

TechnoPilot

Quote from: ErikTheElectric on January 10, 2016, 09:01:33 AM
Interesting, I was under the impression that I was able to get the camera to shoot in 1080. But now that I think of it, I was actually choosing the "1280/60 IPB" Function, because I need the higher FPS. Even then, still uploading those clips into FCP put it into 720p automatically. Despite the fact that it was shot in 1280.. Formatting issue?
You can, but there was not a APS-C camera in Canon's lineup that could shoot 1080p 60 when the 70D came out, only now can the 7D MkII do this.  You need to be aware what you selected, you selected the lowest quality for the camera that you could above standard definition, 1280 is 1280x720, which is 720p.  You need to select 1920, otherwise known as 1920x1080 or 1080p for the best resolution possible.  Additionally you should be aware, that unless you are shooting sports 60 fps is not necessary and actually reduces the image quality over the lower frame rates as you are dividing more frames (potentially more then double over 24 fps), over a set bitrate per second of video.  Also note that while there is debate which compression with the same bitrate should provide the best image in this case IPB is the lower bitrate option and will suffer from less bit depth and more artifacting between frames and All-I should be used if you are trying to retain the highest quality.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

ErikTheElectric

Quote from: TechnoPilot on January 10, 2016, 09:11:44 AM
You can, but there was not a APS-C camera in Canon's lineup that could shoot 1080p 60 when the 70D came out, only now can the 7D MkII do this.  You need to be aware what you selected, you selected the lowest quality for the camera that you could above standard definition, 1280 is 1280x720, which is 720p.  You need to select 1920, otherwise known as 1920x1080 or 1080p for the best resolution possible.  Additionally you should be aware, that unless you are shooting sports 60 fps is not necessary and actually reduces the image quality over the lower frame rates as you are dividing more frames (potentially more then double over 24 fps), over a set bitrate per second of video.  Also note that while there is debate which compression with the same bitrate should provide the best image in this case IPB is the lower bitrate option and will suffer from less bit depth and more artifacting between frames and All-I should be used if you are trying to retain the highest quality.

Then that was my mistake by selecting the 70D. So I guess I will return it anyways, unless there's some way that ML can allow me to shoot in 1080p (I can learn to shoot in 24 FPS if need be). Would that be possible?

Thanks again for the help.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but please consult your manual.
70D is able to do 1080p without ML.

OlRivrRat

@ETE

You seem to be Missing The Point ~ The 70D Is QuiteCapable of Shooting 1080P @ 24FPS Or 30FPS .

It will Produce Very Nice Quality Video When Set To 1920 All-I. Learn to Use the MenuSettings & You Should

Learn To Love the 70D . I also shoot a 5DM2 & it Comes Out of The Case Only for the Very Demanding Stuff .

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Thobias

Quote from: TechnoPilot on January 09, 2016, 08:18:55 PM
Hi Thobias,

On your second question, I use C mode for my video work and M for most of my photography.  C retains my video settings like shutterspeed, ISO and most importantly picture profile, while M keeps me more in a photography setting.  Additionally since I shoot with a flat, desharpened picture profile (technicolor), I also use the mode specific settings option in ML so that when I turn on my camera in C and Movie mode, it has my movie specific settings including contrast, saturation, and sharpening in Digic turned on and when I boot the camera in M and photography mode it turns these off and uses my more photography specific settings in ML.  I also then keep settings in C and photography for when I am wanting to shoot timelapse.

Discovering how to utilize these mode specific settings really improved the usability of ML for me now that I use more and more in ML.

Thanks for this tip! I actually never used other modes than M, AV and Tv. So now I know what is C mode good for=)
Canon 70D (ML 70D.111A - Beta-3) | Canon: 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM | FD 35mm f/2.8, FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 135mm f/3.5, Soligor: FD 28mm f/2.8 | old Canon flash Speedlite 299T | Windows 10 64bit

ShootMeAlready

ETE, try video with a fast shutter, 1080p @30 fps and a 1/160s or so shutter.
You should find it very sharp.  You will need some fast glass for lower light.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

ErikTheElectric

Thanks again guys (and gals).

I'll be giving it a shot tonight again when I get home. For reference, here's one of my videos from my channel that references my "issues".

(At around the 3:20 mark)

OlRivrRat

@ETE

YouTube Doesn't Like that Link ~

ErikTheElectric

Yeah for some odd reason, it won't let me embed my video. *shrug*

Oh well!

TechnoPilot

Worked for me and it's definitely a combination of low resolution, low bitrate and high frame rate.  Also it looks like you don't use any sharpening in post and probably only in camera sharpening.

Checkout some videos on YouTube from people like Newman Films to see how to properly and fully utilize Canon DSLR video, it is definitely more work in post then that from point and shots but it can provide far better results.  Also personally I recommend checking out there Technicolor picture profile to provide you with the best dynamic range you can get out of your camera.  Just remember that the video then definitely requires work in post to bring it back to a rich vibrant image and that kind of colour work is an art in it self.
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

awgerber

Hi folks,

I installed Beta3 on my 70D. I recorded video 1080p 25fps 50 3.5. I use the Zoom H6 as microphone with external microphone on 70D.
While recording averaging every 20s I see the message on display "external micrphone connected". Later on the movie file the audio has clicks as if the external microphone was disconnected for 15ms.

Since the audio quality is not good and I need the camera for production I removed ML. I hope in future we can use the audio menu in ML on the 70D. I would like to get it back on my camera - but only if it is stable.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: awgerber on January 11, 2016, 02:38:58 PM
Hi folks,

I installed Beta3 on my 70D. I recorded video 1080p 25fps 50 3.5. I use the Zoom H6 as microphone with external microphone on 70D.
While recording averaging every 20s I see the message on display "external micrphone connected". Later on the movie file the audio has clicks as if the external microphone was disconnected for 15ms.

Since the audio quality is not good and I need the camera for production I removed ML. I hope in future we can use the audio menu in ML on the 70D. I would like to get it back on my camera - but only if it is stable.
Honestly with having used this since the first Alpha, I have had ZERO audio issues (Shure shotgun, Rode Filmmaker, and Sennheiser G3 all into camera), you simply received a warning because the mic reconnected.  This sounds 100% like your cable or the jack on you 70D, I suggest checking these first before considering it to be ML.  Magic Lantern in this case just seemed to warn you about something the default Canon firmware would not have.

OlRivrRat

@Awgerber

Similar to TechnoP' ~ I Most Always have a Rode Stereo VideoMic OnBoard my 70D whenever Good Audio Capture

is Desired & have Never had any Audio Disruption occur. The Symptoms You describe suggest a Connection Problem.

ORR ~ DeanB

thebkangsta

Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of test filming around my campus and the quality is pretty bad. I'm filming in the highest resolution I can on 2.39:1 ratio.
https://gyazo.com/d364debda6932f1de6e4f58535d29104
I get terrible color fringing and the overall quality looks pretty bad.

I used Magic Lantern RAW Video Converter to create the CDNG files and imported them in Resolve 12.

Any ideas?

darkskies

Hi will FPS override be back soon for the 70D ?

aedipuss

@thebkangsta  -  the 70d can shoot all i-frame .mp4 30p at 88mbps.  it's pretty darn good. with the file storage bus limit on a 70d raw video is not a good option with this cam. if you want better raw/mlv buy a 5d3.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

ShootMeAlready

Hey Gangsta

My first question is about the glass, it looks like a kit lens is causing the fringing. The fringing is not coming from the s/w neither is the less than sharp focus in the picture.  I suspect its not the camera, as more often its AF technique skills, which is off topic for this thread. I would post your screen grab, and video links over at dpreview.com, that's a good forum to discuss those problems.

I think the 70D is suitable to shoot 1600/24 fps @ 2;39.1 raw  for 1 minute clips, or best use is 1280/24fps @ 2:39.1 continuous.  Shooting raw is very limited in useful ISO, 400 is about reliable max. Low light shadow banding or for longer clip hot pixels will be issues at higher ISO.  It gets hot shooting raw, especially for extended clip lengths.   It wasn't designed for the cooling that raw shooting needs. Most pro digital film cameras that shoot raw don't exceed ISO 800.  All-I 1080p is best for higher ISO shooting, and time lapse is best for high resolution raw.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

dreamowl

Hey guys I'm kinda new to this, and I just recently downloaded this firmware, and it scared the crap out of me. Luckily everything was fine and it downloaded. My question is do you have to repeatedly download the firmware on each SD card and re-install the firmware? Because I just learned that when I was switching with the SD cards.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide

OlRivrRat

~ Additional Info ~

Step 1. Preparing your camera

Use a fully charged Canon battery (original, not third party);  <~~ Good Idea but Not Critical ~

Remove any accessories from your camera (such as battery grip or external flash).

Double-check your Canon firmware version.

Rotate your mode dial to Manual (M) position.  <~~ Maybe Good Idea but Not Critical ~

Recommended: Restore your camera to default settings.  <~~ Maybe Good Idea but Not Critical ~

Step 2. Installation

Format the card in the camera (low-level format).  <~~ Good Idea but Not Critical ~~ I Always Format SD to XFat Via My Mac ~

Unzip all of the files from Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card.  <~~ Via Computer ~

~ Move Card from Computer to Your Camera & Start It ~

Launch the Firmware Update process.  <~~ Via Canon Menu ~

If the card LED is blinking for more than a few seconds, upgrade your Canon firmware from the links above (even if you already have the correct firmware version number!) and try again.

Once you see the green confirmation screen, restart your camera. Done.  <~~ Don't Recall if this "green confirm screen" Occurs on 70D ~

If anything goes wrong, check the Troubleshooting section.

ORR ~ DeanB

shakenda

Quote from: OlRivrRat on December 29, 2015, 05:59:30 PM
Shakenda

Would be helpful to have a More Accurate Description of what you are asking about & to know which Build of ML you are running.

I'm using build: Nightly.2015Nov26.70D111A on one camera and the other camera is using Nightly.2015.Nov26.70D111B.

When the camera isn't recording, the info in the upper-right corner of the screen (when on the ML screen) shows the amount of space left on the card.  As it begins recording it changes to a number (somewhere in the hundreds and sometimes with a : to the right side of it).  After about twenty minutes or so, a white box with red number appears over the upper-right corner and keeps counting up (ended up over 30,000 before I stopped recording).  Just wondering what those number mean.  Also, I noticed the framerate would change from 23.971 to 23.984.  Not sure what causes that and if it's anything to worry about.  Here are some photos to show you what I'm getting. 

OlRivrRat

@ Shakenda

Is there a Particular Necessity for You to be using the 26Nov Build instead of the Latest 22Dec ?

In the M'L' Menu > "Movie" tab > You should find "Rec indicator" > Whatever Choice You make there Determines what Info is Shown

in the UpperRight Corner of the M'L' Overlay on the Display During Video Recording.

ORR ~ DeanB

shakenda

Quote from: OlRivrRat on January 15, 2016, 10:32:15 PM
      @ Shakenda

Is there a Particular Necessity for You to be using the 26Nov Build instead of the Latest 22Dec ?

No, I just haven't installed the update yet.

Thanks for the info.  I do have another question.  Is there a way to get the option to turn the SERVO AF off by tapping the screen while using the ML screen?  When I'm shooting, I often like to use the AF box to grab focus on something, then quickly tap the SERVO AF button on the screen to temporarily turn AF off.  That's the only extra thing I wish I could do from the ML screen, because I definitely love the info ML gives you.

OlRivrRat

@ Shakenda

ServoAF Off Via ScreenTap is Unfortunately Not Avail' but there is a Slightly Clunky WorkAround > Press the FlashUp Button.

ORR ~ DeanB