Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kriso

Quote from: kriso on December 16, 2015, 06:19:51 PM
On the headphone monitoring: I use canon factory made cable  (a/v out to cinch) + 3.5 mm adapter to plug the headphones. Im only getting loud noise in my ears and the LCD screen turns immediately black after I plug the cable into the dslr. It dosen't matter modes. Just the noise seems to change a bit every time I press any of buttons.

Canon 70D - 70D.111A 26th November: Beta-2b
@kriso --
The screen is going to go blank because you are plugging into an "Audio / Video" jack, so it switches off the built-in screen. 

The headphones are not as easy as you are trying to make it.  That jack has a mono line-level output for audio.  First problem is that your impedance is going to be way off by trying to plug directly into headphones.  Secondly, if you are not using an adapter made specifically for this purposes, you are shorting two of the contacts together that shouldn't be.  Thirdly, there is no proper amplification to drive the headphones inductor.   

You should be very careful, as stated you are potentially shorting out connections.  The 70D ML firmware is not setup to allow headphone monitoring, it is something that I've been told might just not be possible with the Digic 5 processor.  Also I will point out that the cable to allow headphone monitoring on the cameras that have this hack in ML, still use a specially modified Canon cable to allow it to work and make the proper connections.  Just my two cents of advice.

Audio headphone monitoring with this cable is not posible by the moment, I've been through this guys...

OlRivrRat

@Kriso

Actually the 70Ds OnBoard Monitor Does Not Normally Go Black when The USB A/V Cable is Plugged In ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

ShootMeAlready

So here is a video that works for t3i, they used the usb cable that came with the camera & a small adapter/amp. Very cheap.
However you have to use external monitor for video (either HDMI or USB port fed but not both), as the screen blanks with the usb cable.  Perhaps micro hdmi & your smart phone.

http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2011/02/25/more-on-adding-audio-monitoring-to-your-dslr/
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

kriso

This method works perfectly fine with the 60D or the T3i shown in this video, but it's not working with the 70D. It's the Digic5 processor that  makes the things complicated. ML for 70D does not have the "Headphones monitoring" feature. It's not working, I have tried already. Only works with my 60D...

aedipuss

@shootmealready - does the screen really blank using headphone monitoring on your t3i?  the screen on my 60d stays on while shooting video and using headphone monitoring.  glad i don't use my t3i for video then.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

2gnospam

I have a new 70D "A" firmware.  Have used ML for a long time on my 60D.  I have successfully installed ML on the 70D. 

Seems to work well, EXCEPT after a period of time (not sure of the details of what series of operations could be causing this), the camera will turn on but only is using the stock firmware (thus ML does not load on boot).  Pushing the trash can button has no reaction.  When the info button is pushed, it does not show the ML info screen, etc.  I can re-install via the firmware update and it works fine for a while (obviously looses settings).  Same SD card, same install.  Card has been out of the camera and back in.  Waited for the lights to stop flashing, etc on card insert. 

Ideas?  Anyone else experience this?

nikfreak

Any crash / assert log files on your sdcard? ML will be only skipped during boot up when you hold SET button. That one technically ok? Otherwise I would try another sdcard.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

catmangel

Hello Guys,sorry my english is not very well.
I had installed the 70D.111A to my 70D.But when I try to record the MLV Video,the 70D just can write into the SDcard with 30m/s highest.I already checked my SDcard,it support 60m/s highest with written by computer.
So,what I want to know is how much the highest written speed to SDcard of 70D.If 70D support to write in by 60m/s,Should I change some settings in ML?
Thank you very much!
ps:my sd card is--toshiba exceria 64gb SDXC I.

Walter Schulz

Cam's limit is about 40 MByte/s in write mode. Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W Benchmark (5 min). After starting benchmark press Play button. Turn Global Draw off for testing.

And don't expect recording without glitches above 38 MByte/s!

Check card's file system. If not exFAT: Format card in cardreader with exFAT file system. Copy extracted build contents to card and run installation process (firmware update) once again.

TechnoPilot

Note though that in my experience, formatting in camera after switching any 32gb or small card to ExFat will return it to Fat32 as that is the default for Canon Firmware for smaller cards...
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

Macy606

Hey guys!

Is it normal that I do not see the menu while recording MLV files? It disappears right after I hit the record button on the camera.
If I select to record RAW only, I do see all of the useful information as usual while recording...

Thanks!

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Thobias

I have two questions (probably about ML generally)...

1. It is possible to turn on magic zoom only on manual focusing, but is it also possible to automatically turn magic zoom off after few seconds of inactivity with manual focus?
2. Is it possible to set different default shutter speed, ISO and aperture for switching to Live View mode? I usually take pictures on M with higher ISO and shutter speed than in video mode and it is frustrating to change these parameters every time I switch to live view and back.

Thanks.
Canon 70D (ML 70D.111A - Beta-3) | Canon: 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM | FD 35mm f/2.8, FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 135mm f/3.5, Soligor: FD 28mm f/2.8 | old Canon flash Speedlite 299T | Windows 10 64bit

Simonvideo

Hey guys, I havent checked up on ML for the 70d in ages... Since the alpha builds. I've never used ML but I have a 70d and t5i now and I'm thinking of giving it a go.

I do event vidography and longer recording times would really help me. The quality i get out of the camera now is ok for me. Higher quality would obviously be better but stability is more important to me.

Should I be installing ML now or waiting for future builds? And sorry for the noob question but what's the best recording option for Quality and Stability?

DeafEyeJedi

As long as you have a decent sd card (600x or higher) and you should be good to go with 1280x720p MLV RAW @ 24p -- totally worth the effort!

Try KomputerBay ... Their QC over the years have gotten better with customers including myself.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

TechnoPilot

Quote from: Thobias on January 08, 2016, 10:39:43 PM
I have two questions (probably about ML generally)...

1. It is possible to turn on magic zoom only on manual focusing, but is it also possible to automatically turn magic zoom off after few seconds of inactivity with manual focus?
2. Is it possible to set different default shutter speed, ISO and aperture for switching to Live View mode? I usually take pictures on M with higher ISO and shutter speed than in video mode and it is frustrating to change these parameters every time I switch to live view and back.

Thanks.
Hi Thobias,

On your second question, I use C mode for my video work and M for most of my photography.  C retains my video settings like shutterspeed, ISO and most importantly picture profile, while M keeps me more in a photography setting.  Additionally since I shoot with a flat, desharpened picture profile (technicolor), I also use the mode specific settings option in ML so that when I turn on my camera in C and Movie mode, it has my movie specific settings including contrast, saturation, and sharpening in Digic turned on and when I boot the camera in M and photography mode it turns these off and uses my more photography specific settings in ML.  I also then keep settings in C and photography for when I am wanting to shoot timelapse.

Discovering how to utilize these mode specific settings really improved the usability of ML for me now that I use more and more in ML.
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: TechnoPilot on January 09, 2016, 08:18:55 PM
Discovering how to utilize these mode specific settings really improved the usability of ML for me now that I use more and more in ML.

+1

Simonvideo

@deafeyejedi I have some very fast card, sandisk extreme pros (komputerbay is good??) but i need 1080 @30p...

I did install ML and it's worth it just for the continuous recording but when i tried raw, it says something about missing a frame after a few seconds and stops.

If the answer is I can't do raw in 1080 30p then I'll have to stick with the stock settings for that but if there's a way..

DeafEyeJedi

I use Sandisk on majority of my SD's slots but I also like to more GB for cheap and just as durable which is what I get from KB.

Don't get me wrong tho I love my Sandisk/Lexus cards but I'll feel like a fool if I were to buy these again knowing how solid KB's are especially with their price differentials.

1080p @ 30p is not practical at all on the 70D due to SD limitation factor -- let alone 5D3 can just barely do 30p @ 1080p (it's slightly under) for continuous recording.

Jm2c.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: Simonvideo on January 09, 2016, 09:49:27 PM
@deafeyejedi I have some very fast card, sandisk extreme pros (komputerbay is good??) but i need 1080 @30p...

I did install ML and it's worth it just for the continuous recording but when i tried raw, it says something about missing a frame after a few seconds and stops.

If the answer is I can't do raw in 1080 30p then I'll have to stick with the stock settings for that but if there's a way..
No Simon, as mentioned in this thread from the start, the SD card interface hardware in the 70D is only capable of 40mb/s and therefore makes sustained 1080p in raw (even at 2.39 aspect) impossible to sustain much further then the internal image buffer.  It simply is not possible in any Canon camera that does not have a CF card at this point.

Simonvideo

Wow.. well, i guess I'm going to start looking into KB cards in future. So running ML using stock format I should be good to run for hours continuously until the battery does, right? Anyone ever have any issues?

Walter Schulz

You will get a short gap (about 0.5s) every 29:59. Cam's shutter will be closed.

ErikTheElectric

Hey guys (and gals)

I'm posting because I just purchased the 70D a week ago, with the intentions of using 99% for video. I mainly shoot videos for youtube and decided that I wanted to go with a DSLR > HD Camera. I've been used to using the Canon G7X for most of my videos and have always been used to the shooting being extremely "crisp" in the standard 1080p, 60 fps format.

Long story short, I bought the 70D and filmed my first few shots with it. Went home, uploaded the clips into Final Cut Pro X. and IMMEDIATELY noticed how "grainy" and low quality the videos were turning out when I looked at them in the FCP window. Again, long story short... but I spent 3-4 days wondering what the hell was actually going on.. when I finally figured it out 2 nights ago. The camera has been techically shooting in 1080p, 60fps BUT UPLOADING IT IN 720P to my iMac.
I can't even upload the videos from my 70D to my iPhone. I just get a message saying "Content not supported".

So yesterday I contacted the manufacturer and figured I'd just return it. However, I'm wondering.. do you guys think that Magic Lanterning it will help me? Any functions on ML that will enable me to upload in 1080p?

Thanks guys!

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I'm using a High(er) quality SD card. (San Disk Extreme from what I remember) so that's not likely the issue!

TechnoPilot

Quote from: ErikTheElectric on January 10, 2016, 08:18:58 AM
Hey guys (and gals)

I'm posting because I just purchased the 70D a week ago, with the intentions of using 99% for video. I mainly shoot videos for youtube and decided that I wanted to go with a DSLR > HD Camera. I've been used to using the Canon G7X for most of my videos and have always been used to the shooting being extremely "crisp" in the standard 1080p, 60 fps format.

Long story short, I bought the 70D and filmed my first few shots with it. Went home, uploaded the clips into Final Cut Pro X. and IMMEDIATELY noticed how "grainy" and low quality the videos were turning out when I looked at them in the FCP window. Again, long story short... but I spent 3-4 days wondering what the hell was actually going on.. when I finally figured it out 2 nights ago. The camera has been techically shooting in 1080p, 60fps BUT UPLOADING IT IN 720P to my iMac.
I can't even upload the videos from my 70D to my iPhone. I just get a message saying "Content not supported".

So yesterday I contacted the manufacturer and figured I'd just return it. However, I'm wondering.. do you guys think that Magic Lanterning it will help me? Any functions on ML that will enable me to upload in 1080p?

Thanks guys!

Let's make something clear, if you think you are shooting in 1080p 60fps then you are very wrong on one of these as the camera is not capable of this resolution and frame rate.  You are either shooting in 1080p 30/24 or 720p 60.  The camera is not capable of transcoding the footage as you claim it is doing, ensure that you are connecting the camera to the computer via the USB cable or better yet, using an SD card reader and directly copying the files.  However before you do this, ensure you take control of your settings and check what resolution you are actually recording in, what video compression you are using (All-I or IPB), what film style you are using (all sharpening should be done in post for best results) and what your ISO, shutter and aperture settings are.

ML allows you to get a lot more out of the camera, but it is definitely best to ensure you can utilize the camera as it comes from Canon first, before diving into what ML has to offer.