Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechnoPilot

Hi all,

So I've run into a rather serious freezing problem myself.  My camera will reliably lockup while stored in my bag and turned off with a micro sd card running Beta 2 on it in the camera.  When I try to turn it on after taking it out, it is as if the battery is dead, however if I turn remove the battery and then the sd card and then reinsert the battery with the ML loaded card out, the camera will boot.  I can then reinstall the card and reboot to get into ML.  This lockup has occurred quite reliably when simply switching off and back on the camera.  This was not an issue I was having until recently, the only change I have done is started using mode specific boot settings (Edit: I also added the advanced intervalometer module).

Any thoughts guys?  I'm going to move up to the Beta 3 for the time being and see if I can replicate the issue.

Cheers,
Sean
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

@dussan07: I only experienced freezes when using electronic level and facetracking being enabled (see 1st post). It might be useful to know which setting you exactly tried to change when your cam froze. Try to use another battery and also check your battery card door. Switch your cam to "C" mode. Your cam should at least boot up without a sdcard inserted...

@Technopilot: Please remove the links, especially the first one. It's the ROM dump which isn't allowed to be posted publicly and yes, please try to replicate with 22th Dec build as your config files indicate the use of the previous Beta-2b build. Does your issue only happen with that micro-sdcard+adapter??

If you got crashes then the cam might have put LOG files starting with CRASH../ASSERT.. on your sdcard. These are the interesting ones to post.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dussan007

I was not in the ML display when camera froze. I was going to record the usual canon format and I was setting up the ALL-i option in the canon display. Raw settings where turned off... I remember that MLV sound was on at the time.

Cam is still dead. Doesn't boot on "C" mode and the battery card door seems Ok as usual.

I'm worried if it's an internal error.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on December 24, 2015, 08:03:45 AM
@dussan07: I only experienced freezes when using electronic level and facetracking being enabled (see 1st post). It might be useful to know which setting you exactly tried to change when your cam froze. Try to use another battery and also check your battery card door. Switch your cam to "C" mode. Your cam should at least boot up without a sdcard inserted...

@Technopilot: Please remove the links, especially the first one. It's the ROM dump which isn't allowed to be posted publicly and yes, please try to replicate with 22th Dec build as your config files indicate the use of the previous Beta-2b build. Does your issue only happen with that micro-sdcard+adapter??

If you got crashes then the cam might have put LOG files starting with CRASH../ASSERT.. on your sdcard. These are the interesting ones to post.
Oops, sorry for that, they've been removed!  Sadly there were no crash logs.  It locked up only while off, refusing to boot, requiring battery and SD card removal to restore camera function.

I reformatted and started with a fresh install with the new build, just transferring over my settings folder and the additional module and so far no issues, the lockup is gone.  I tried different adapters, this didn't change it, this reformat did though.

Anyways, having fun on Beta 3 now, will let you know my experiences.
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

shakenda

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but I unfortunately don't have time to read through all of the posts in this thread.  I've been using the firmware for a couple weeks (I've got 2 70Ds, one uses the A firmware and the other uses the B).  On both cameras I notice some numbers and letters showing up in the upper-right corner of the screen after shooting video for a while (10 minutes, maybe).  If I remember correctly they are either red characters in a white box or white characters in a red box.  Can someone tell me what these indicate.  I thought maybe they were trying to convey there was a problem with the recording, but so far I haven't noticed any problems with the recorded videos.

Thanks!

OlRivrRat

Shakenda

Would be helpful to have a More Accurate Description of what you are asking about & to know which Build of ML you are running.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

aedipuss

my thought was it's probably the canon temperature warning
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

ShootMeAlready

Question out there.  When using ML in video mode, with the ML liveview screen, is there an easy way to turn AIservo off/on.???
I looked at customization but cant seem to find much for AIservo.
Presently I keep hitting info button & going through Canon screen. 
Would be nice if ML screen had AIservo on/off option.

Answer:  I found an answer. It was in the comment section.  Use the flash button in movie mode, it will turn off movie servo off/on.
This made my day, as now I can keep the focus peaks, zebras, and rgb histo on the ML screen.
http://blog.dojoklo.com/2013/08/15/canon-70d-tips-and-tricks-custom-controls/

So we dont need an ML button for servo on/off.  Thought to share for those who like me luv luv luv the ML video screen.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

grey

What about MagicZoom activation during recording video? But in idle all fine. It only work when i set it to Focus ring. What i do wrong? Why MZ do not switchig on by pressing Zoom in button?

thebkangsta

I'm running a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s with a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens. I've seen people record at the highest res for about 15 seconds, but I can only get 5 seconds. I can't even get continuous 720p. I can only go up to 960x540. Any ideas?

Walter Schulz

Check if you are using exFAT file system. If not: Format card in cardreader with exFAT fs. Use EOScard (PC) or MacBoot (OS X) to make card bootable.
(If using EOScard: Delete ML directory, autoexec.bin and *.FIR from card's root).
Copy extracted build to card and retry.

Canniballissimo

thebkangsta, just say what speed indicated in the records?

OlRivrRat

thebkangsta

You might also run a BenchMark Test on your Card to see what its WriteSpeed Really Is.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

thebkangsta

Quote from: Canniballissimo on January 01, 2016, 04:23:19 PM
thebkangsta, just say what speed indicated in the records?
Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 01, 2016, 10:56:41 AM
Check if you are using exFAT file system. If not: Format card in cardreader with exFAT fs. Use EOScard (PC) or MacBoot (OS X) to make card bootable.
(If using EOScard: Delete ML directory, autoexec.bin and *.FIR from card's root).
Copy extracted build to card and retry.
Quote from: OlRivrRat on January 01, 2016, 06:18:11 PM
      thebkangsta

You might also run a BenchMark Test on your Card to see what its WriteSpeed Really Is.

On ML, it shows I'm writing at speeds around 39 mb/s.  I just ran a test using IsMyHdOK and have 87.17 mb/s write speed using exFAT file system. I just reformatted and reinstalled ML, and only got about 35 seconds in 720p. Still only showing that the card is capable of 39 mb/s and only continuous in 960x540.

Walter Schulz

Are you running exFAT now or not?
If so: Disable Global Draw. Load only mlv_rec.mo and enable files > 4GB in Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV)

thebkangsta

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 01, 2016, 10:47:22 PM
Are you running exFAT now or not?
If so: Disable Global Draw. Load only mlv_rec.mo and enable files > 4GB in Movie tab -> RAW video (MLV)

Yes the card is still exFAT format. I disabled Global Draw and enabled the settings in your post. Still can only record 35 seconds in 720p, writing about 38~40 mb/s.

TechnoPilot

I hate to point out guys, but 39-40MB/s on the 70D's 40MB/s SD card interface is about the best we can expect...

thebkangsta

Quote from: TechnoPilot on January 02, 2016, 02:05:17 AM
I hate to point out guys, but 39-40MB/s on the 70D's 40MB/s SD card interface is about the best we can expect...

Well the issue is that some people report continuous 720p RAW recording and also ~15 seconds 1824x1026 recording, which I cannot get those lengths without frame dropping.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: thebkangsta on January 02, 2016, 02:53:01 AM
Well the issue is that some people report continuous 720p RAW recording and also ~15 seconds 1824x1026 recording, which I cannot get those lengths without frame dropping.
Double check what aspect ratio you are using versus them. Personally I can also get continuous at just over 720p, but using 2.40:1.

thebkangsta

Quote from: TechnoPilot on January 02, 2016, 02:56:35 AM
Double check what aspect ratio you are using versus them. Personally I can also get continuous at just over 720p, but using 2.40:1.

I see, well that could be it. I just assumed everyone was filming at 16:9 ratio. Thanks for that reminder! Is there a reason why you choose 2.39:1 than other resolutions?

TechnoPilot

Quote from: thebkangsta on January 02, 2016, 03:18:41 AM
I see, well that could be it. I just assumed everyone was filming at 16:9 ratio. Thanks for that reminder! Is there a reason why you choose 2.39:1 than other resolutions?
For me it is two fold, one it allows for more horizontal resolution, closer to my ideal delivery and second because I artistically love the classic Cinerama and Cinema Scope look and 2.39 being the modern equivalent.  Additionally I like that it more fully utilizes the true view angle of my lenses, allowing me to get closer to the 18mm of my Sigma lens.

maitimaus

@nikfreak Please make this cable  working with the 70D. It would be awesome to use headphones on this camera :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765530-REG/Sescom_DSLR_550D_HOCF_DSLR_550D_HOCF_AV_Out_Headphone.html

starbase64

@maitimaus

the price is too high, no alternate cable on ebay? > http://goo.gl/EIwIMU

ShootMeAlready

A trend is to shoot in 2:39 but master to 2:35, which is the near anamorphic.
The wiggle room just speeds the whole picture framing process along.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

aedipuss

@maitimaus  --  i have a 60d and you certainly don't need a $45 cable for headphone monitoring.  the standard canon a/v cable and a $2 adapter on the red/white rca jacks works fine http://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale-3-5mm-Stereo-Adapter-Female/dp/B000I98ZM8

canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112