Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laci.szebeni

Quote from: OlRivrRat on October 27, 2015, 09:59:56 PM
      Paco

Assuming you are meaning in MovieMode with ServoAF Enabled ~ Scroll Via the Info Button to any Display other than the ML Display & use

the AF On/Off as you would if you did not have ML Loaded. Otherwise, via the Custom Functions you can Dedicate the Button of Your Choice to be

an AF Lock Button.

ORR ~ DeanB
I like using the AF/MF switch on the lens barrel..

thatsnotmyname

Hi there!

I installed the ML Beta for the first time on my 70D, but I do have some experience with the firmware already with my 600D.
For a project next weekend I'll need to film for 3 hours, so I would like to use "Movie Restart".
I did just test this feature, but it doesn't seem to work so that recording stops at 29:59 and I do have to start manually again.

Is this a known problem?

Thank you in advance!

maxexcloo

For anyone interested, linked is a build of Magic Lantern for the 70D (Model B) based on the last beta commit but with the recording restart bug patched.

Based on: Commit 2766da2 in 70D-Merge Branch
Patch applied: Commit 666d621 (https://bitbucket.org/nikfreak/magic-lantern/commits/666d6214456b1e183d3b7335f866d963e8ae7254?at=unified)

Built on Ubuntu 12.04 using the following guide:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14725.0

Build Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv4a5r85j5dsd4o/magiclantern-Nightly.2015Oct28.70D111B.zip

Interesting learning experience for sure! I needed this build for a long running event I'm shooting, hope it's helpful to others also!

Thanks, Max.

OlRivrRat

thatsnotmyname

Yes ~ Read "What's not working:" in the 1st Post.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

OlRivrRat

Maxexcloo

Ran a test of your "2015Oct28.70D111B" & it did indeed ReStart @ 29:59. I set it to Rec & went to eat &

watch some TV & when I returned the 70D was Off & the Batt was Dead. The Cam' was the warmest I have ever

felt it get in the almost 2yrs I have had it, so that may be a concern. It Did Rec 67:58 of Vid before it quit.

ORR ~ DeanB

maxexcloo

Quote from: OlRivrRat on October 29, 2015, 03:50:58 AM
      Maxexcloo

Ran a test of your "2015Oct28.70D111B" & it did indeed ReStart @ 29:59. I set it to Rec & went to eat &

watch some TV & when I returned the 70D was Off & the Batt was Dead. The Cam' was the warmest I have ever

felt it get in the almost 2yrs I have had it, so that may be a concern. It Did Rec 67:58 of Vid before it quit.

ORR ~ DeanB

It is literally the beta plus that single patch, not sure if it's good to record so long in general (would love some people to chime in, I have to record six hours on the weekend!)

DeafEyeJedi

Maybe set powersave mode on to have live view turned off while recording. I've shot over 2 hours on a single battery with movie restart. Doesn't get as warm either.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

OlRivrRat

Maxexcloo

Warm Cam possibly PilotError ~ When I set the Cam up for test I was in a hurry & left it in P Mode with the

LensCap On so the ISO Most Likely Maxed Out. Ooooops!

ORR ~ DeanB

maxexcloo

Quote from: OlRivrRat on October 29, 2015, 04:38:38 AM
      Maxexcloo

Warm Cam possibly PilotError ~ When I set the Cam up for test I was in a hurry & left it in P Mode with the

LensCap On so the ISO Most Likely Maxed Out. Ooooops!

ORR ~ DeanB

Ah okay, curious to see, I'll run some tests later!

Can you share how big the files are, what SD Card you're using and the file system of the cards? Would help me out :)

OlRivrRat

Maxexcloo

I use Transcend 90MB/s 600X Formatted XFat. Have 2 32GB & 1 64GB. Ran the test on 1 of the 32s.

Times   ~   18:09   11:50   18:08   11:51   8:00

File Sizes   ~   4.28GB   2.79GB   4.28GB   2.80GB   1.89GB

H264        30FPS        IPB

ORR ~ DeanB

OlRivrRat

I Assume that everyone on this Forum is aware of this ~ But Just In Case there may be someone Who Is Not,

It Is Possible to have "Build Dedicated SDCards" so as to be able to Switch Quickly from 1 Build to Another if you

have a Need for some Function that may have been Disabled or is Unavailable in the Build you are using. I've been

doing this for quite some time ~ I have 3 SDs & have been using them as SteppingStones to New Builds & I now

have the Latest Beta (28Oct) on 1, Alpha7b (15Aug) on 1 & Alpha7a2 (08Aug) on 1.

Hopefully, of course, once the Next GreatBeta is released it will contain all of the GoodStuff of those 3 & More

so that this SD Swapping will no longer be necessary.

ORR ~ DeanB

mcgillro

It's it getting close to stable beta now?  Thanks

mcgillro

chrisfrancia

Quote from: pacoloco on October 28, 2015, 12:24:13 AM
OMG! of course...the info button... :o that's exactly what I forgot...
thanks...amazing what brilliant minds can do when they get together...on a forum!

E

You can also you the flash button to switch movie servo auto focus on and off quickly
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

thatsnotmyname

Quote from: maxexcloo on October 29, 2015, 12:35:50 AM
For anyone interested, linked is a build of Magic Lantern for the 70D (Model B) based on the last beta commit but with the recording restart bug patched.

Hi maxexcloo. Thanks for the fix, it seems to work fine! First test filming the stop watch of my iPad gave me a over 1:45 hrs of footage while the battery wasn't even at 100 % when I started.
Test run was at 1280 x 720 All-I 50 fps with powersave in live view enabled (display switched off).
I lost 1-1,5 secs every 29:59 mins when movie restart did its job. Is there any way to minimize that gap or even wiping it out completely?

Greetings!

malow

Quote from: chrisfrancia on October 29, 2015, 09:25:10 PM
You can also you the flash button to switch movie servo auto focus on and off quickly
maaan, came her to find a shortcut for this... thanks!

i think i will glue something on that button, cause is too deep and hard to press while shooting ;)

custom function on buttons are only temporary focus disable, not permanent. the flash button is the one that did the trick ;)

maxexcloo

Quote from: chrisfrancia on October 29, 2015, 09:25:10 PM

I don't think so, I don't actually know anything about how it works, just made the build :P

ShootMeAlready

So anyone know how likely
Dual ISO video is? or
Variable bit rate?

These two features, would probably improve video IQ the most.

And as for follow-up, when you select 720p from HDMI (for clean output streaming), regardless of canon aspect you select
it will output  as 3:2.  And if you want to use EOS utility, you can record with it, although I have not done it for any length of time, as I generally stream the HDMI.

There was a poster a page or so back asking about how to get clean outputs, just check on my recent posts and you will find your answer
how to set it up. 
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

OlRivrRat

I'm guessing that the MLWizards have already thought of & looked into this ~ but would there be a way

to use the "4GB File Size Restart Tricks" on the "30Min Restart" or Might there be a way to Fool the Cam' into

thinking that each "4GB File Size Restart" is an Actual Restart so that the 30Mark is never reached?

Aj6627

I read the OP, but has anyone compiled a list of everything that's working and that isn't working in the latest build?

ShootMeAlready

If you run the camera for 30mins +, such that its the warmest youve ever felt,
I would suggest checking out Hot Pixels (HP) as time increases. 
It may be the H264 compression algorithm corrects some of this,
but I know RAW video it does not. I assume your card space fills up too fast to do long shoots
in RAW anyways.  HP are the bane of the 70D, IMHO. 
Probably the battery plugin attachment is needed, which means AC with a cord.

Ive shot longest when streaming HDMI, but so far Ive only done longer shoots this using a 600D (around 20min).
The 600D does not suffer from the same heat issues.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

starbase64

Hi,

someone can create a new build for model "a"?

regards

starbase64

OlRivrRat

StarBase64

I believe that most of us are under a correct impression the it is in progress.

When making requests for Fixes or Additions you need to be More Specific.

ORR ~ DeanB