Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlos787

Hey guys, just wanted to share a little video I made thanks to this awesome tool the developers have provided (Nikfreak and team). As always your work is very much appreciated, keep it up.
  8)
https://youtu.be/8aQoTflHwdE

DeafEyeJedi

Incredible stuff, @carlos787!

Impressive composures along with decent colors.

I was just there earlier this year visiting old town San Juan and definitely had a great time.

Mind sharing us the specs? Settings used in ML as well as Canon and Post workflow?

Also which glass did you use and the closing shot came out quite useful especially at high ISO as it seems.

If so, which ISO did you use?

Thanks for sharing us a beautiful island.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

miramez

Hi people!

I don´t know how to check if my 70D is 70D.111A or 70D.111B.
Where do I see this information? I tried in the botton of camera. no information there.

Walter Schulz

You won't find this info and you don't have to. Download version A and try to install it. If it fails install B.

miramez

Walter, which one is up to date (latest) version? sorry, my english is basic!

Walter Schulz

Read the title of this thread ...

miramez

Walter, i´m just looking for a help without irony! I´m newer!

So, i understand this:

ML Beta = 70D.111.B
ML Alpha = 70D.111.A

Am I right?

You said me to install first A instead B.

I JUST need to know which one is newer/latest version (B or A)?
Just it!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: miramez on October 13, 2015, 11:02:44 PM
Walter, i´m just looking for a help without irony!

Good luck, then!
Read first post of this thread, you got it all wrong.
"Allthough showing Version 1.1.1 in menu some camera dumps showed a different revision. Therefore I had to port ML twice to 70D (70D.111A / 70D.111B)"

miramez

I keep not understand anything. Congratulations for developing ML which is very interesting. However, in terms of communication/organization i didnt like. I think ML need to launch a simple and objective/clean website for "non nerds" like me, with simple and objective texts and download button.
I came here to find help to install/avoid mistakes and in order to do my first job with ML that will happens in this saturday. but the forum/communication here is very advanced for me. Infomartion through the threads are not clean for me. I will try to find help with blogs around the web.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: miramez on October 13, 2015, 11:40:45 PM
I keep not understand anything. Congratulations for developing ML which is very interesting. However, in terms of communication/organization i didnt like. I think ML need to launch a simple and objective/clean website for "non nerds" like me, with simple and objective texts and download button.
I came here to find help to install/avoid mistakes and in order to do my first job with ML that will happens in this saturday. but the forum/communication here is very advanced for me. Infomartion through the threads are not clean for me. I will try to find help with blogs around the web.
Miramez, please use translation software if you are having trouble as it is clearly explained in English.

Both versions, A & B are the newest.  There are two because there are two versions of the Canon 70D.  This cannot be found in the Canon menu; try installing version A first and if it fails stating you have the wrong version, just download and install B.

ML being a hack of the Canon firmware it really cannot be made easier without negating the fact that this IS A HACK.  This is not something that you should be doing to your Canon camera if you are not comfortable with at least understanding some of the technical nature, as it still does pose a slight risk and always will.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

miramez

Thanks, TechnoPilot!

I found a good video on youtube showing how to install.
Now my doubt is regard to these options that he showed here:

1. Does it needs to turn on all these options?

2. In case of not activating all them, ML will not work?

3. For exemple, I want initially to use ZEBRA, FOCUS PEAKING, LV DIGIC PEAKING, VECTOR SCOPE, VIDEO HACK BITRATE, TIMELAPSE. Which one must I active to use these features?

4. Another thing I noticed is that is not possible to copy the ML files into SD Card through USB cable. At least I cant here. Is needed to use a SD Card reader in PC instead direct with usb cable?

TechnoPilot

Quote from: miramez on October 14, 2015, 12:18:41 AM
Thanks, TechnoPilot!

I found a good video on youtube showing how to install.
Now my doubt is regard to these options that he showed here:

1. Does it needs to turn on all these options?

2. In case of not activating all them, ML will not work?

3. For exemple, I want initially to use ZEBRA, FOCUS PEAKING, LV DIGIC PEAKING, VECTOR SCOPE, VIDEO HACK BITRATE, TIMELAPSE. Which one must I active to use these features?

4. Another thing I noticed is that is not possible to copy the ML files into SD Card through USB cable. At least I cant here. Is needed to use a SD Card reader in PC instead direct with usb cable?

Turn all of them on, then reboot the camera (switch off, then back on again).  There is no harm having them all turned on in this case.  After the reboot, you will be able to select those options in their associated menu to display on the ML overlay screen.

No, you cannot use the camera with a USB cable to transfer the ML files, the camera mounts to the computer as a digital camera USB device, the card instead needs to be mounted as a mass storage device to transfer the files.  Remove the card from the camera and use a card reader instead, it is the safer option anyways.

Note that with ML, you should always wait to ensure that the card activity light is off before ejecting the card from the camera after opening the SD card door.  It is a good practice to help prevent corrupting your SD card anyways, but is especially important with ML installed.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

OlRivrRat

Miramex

I'm hopeful that by now You already have ML Up&Running on Your 70D & that You have been successful in brushing away some of

the fog that surrounds it.

Pretty much all You need to know, to get started, is in the 1st Post of this thread but there are some things that can certainly be

cause for a bit of confusion. There seem to be 2 Rev's of firmware on the 70D that Canon has, for some reason, chosen to keep covered up

by 1 Firmware# 111. The Wizards @ ML were well under way Dev'ing ML for the Youngest Rev' of the 70D when the Older Rev' came to

light so they decided to call the WizWare that they were working on 70D_111A & when it came time to build ML WizWare for the Older

Rev' 70Ds it was named 70D_111B (Probably would have been much less confusing to name them 111N or Y for Newer or Younger &

111O for Older or Original) but A for the Newer & B for the Older is what we are stuck with.

So ~ On the 22nd (not the 22th) of Aug, NikFreak posted ML Beta-1 for 70D.111A / 70D.111B & again, I'm guessing & hoping that

You have already figured out which 1 You & Your 70D needs.

As for the Modules ~ Just Load whichever 1s You think You may need or Just Load them all (except for that Arkanoid.mo ~ Does

anyone Load that 1).

So the bottom line is, if You have more questions, ask away, someone Should eventually attempt to provide a Civil answer ~ I'm

guessing that the info that TechnoPilot has provided was helpful for You.

ORR ~ DeanB

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

dynalmadman

Brand new. Interested in Time Lapse.  Here is my first attempt, and I just want to know if the problem is related to ML, or the lens, or the camera or something else entirely.

Canon 70D, Tamron 24-70, manual focus, stabilization off. Tripod mounted, most all settings set to manual. ML intervalometer set to 3 sec.

https://flic.kr/p/zvszQ5

In alternate frames, the camera seems to jump up and down, just a little. Every other frame, all odd numbered frames seem to be recorded at a few pixels higher than the even numbered frames. The camera is mounted to tripod, and very steady.  Seems like some sort of software adjustment happening with the capture? The video goes very quickly, so it is hard to see.  I made a PDF with 10 sequential frames, but I don't know how to share a PDF file.

Here is a second export using only the odd numbered frames. Steady as a rock.  Weird.

https://flic.kr/p/zvwti9

Anyway, I don't think it is ML, but thought I would ask here first.

Thank you, love this software!
Michael
70D ML B version.

Thobias

LV automatically get back when I'm in ML menu. It's in bugs log, but is there any workaround?
Canon 70D (ML 70D.111A - Beta-3) | Canon: 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM | FD 35mm f/2.8, FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 135mm f/3.5, Soligor: FD 28mm f/2.8 | old Canon flash Speedlite 299T | Windows 10 64bit

OlRivrRat

Dynalmadman

Probably not ML ~ Have you tried it with a different lens?

ORR ~ DeanB

OlRivrRat

Thobias

It's just 1 of the Little Inconveniences we learn to live with. It's noted in "What's Not Working" in the 1st Post of this thread.

No Work Around, but more like a Work With ~ Keep Activity Going in ML Menu while in LV & Movie, or Switch to Stills & make Your

Menu Changes then switch back to LV or Movie.

ORR ~ DeanB

Thobias

OK, thanks for answer.

I find another bug (?). I use external mic (Zoom H1-V2) and MLV_sound files are out of sync, randomly cut... I cant even find timecode in that wav files. Is it known?
Canon 70D (ML 70D.111A - Beta-3) | Canon: 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM | FD 35mm f/2.8, FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 135mm f/3.5, Soligor: FD 28mm f/2.8 | old Canon flash Speedlite 299T | Windows 10 64bit

SethBB

New to ML on the 70D, but a long-time user of ML on the 60D.

Add to "Not working" list: (?)
Audio Menu (microphone icon)
Includes gain, source, headphone monitoring, and lots more.

Yes, I've enabled the mlv_sound module - this does turn on the audio menu, but, the only item available is sound for mlv recording.

Specifically what I'm looking for is the Headphone Mon. setting that allows monitoring sound from the USB jack.

Or, have I missed some obvious method to turn on the audio menu, like somehow adding a module to the list, then turning it on...
Canon 60D ML2.3
Canon 70D 70D.111A

chrisfrancia

If i have a 6D with ML on the SD card and I put this card into my 70D what will happen?

What about if i take my 70D with ML on the SDcard and put this card into the 6D?
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

JohnnyG_71

Quote from: dynalmadman on October 15, 2015, 05:54:12 AM
Brand new. Interested in Time Lapse.  Here is my first attempt, and I just want to know if the problem is related to ML, or the lens, or the camera or something else entirely.

Canon 70D, Tamron 24-70, manual focus, stabilization off. Tripod mounted, most all settings set to manual. ML intervalometer set to 3 sec.

https://flic.kr/p/zvszQ5

In alternate frames, the camera seems to jump up and down, just a little. Every other frame, all odd numbered frames seem to be recorded at a few pixels higher than the even numbered frames. The camera is mounted to tripod, and very steady.  Seems like some sort of software adjustment happening with the capture? The video goes very quickly, so it is hard to see.  I made a PDF with 10 sequential frames, but I don't know how to share a PDF file.

Here is a second export using only the odd numbered frames. Steady as a rock.  Weird.

https://flic.kr/p/zvwti9

Anyway, I don't think it is ML, but thought I would ask here first.

Thank you, love this software!
Michael

Hi dynalmadman, and welcome!  Thanks for the videos; it helps immensely to see the issue first hand.  Can you update your signature with which version you are running (A or B)?  This helps with troubleshooting the issue.  Can someone else (anyone?) confirm this scenario on another camera, please?  It seems way too coincidental that it is precisely the same number of horizontal lines and precisely every other shot, for it to be hardware related (i.e. lens). 
Thanks!!
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

Walter Schulz

@chrisfrancia:
If the cam is not enabled for ML (bootflag not set):
Nothing will happen. Canon menu will start up and you are on plain Canon firmware.

If the cam is enabled for ML:
Either cam won't start up (old builds) or an error message will be seen.

chrisfrancia

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 16, 2015, 05:22:15 AM
@chrisfrancia:
If the cam is not enabled for ML (bootflag not set):
Nothing will happen. Canon menu will start up and you are on plain Canon firmware.

If the cam is enabled for ML:
Either cam won't start up (old builds) or an error message will be seen.

Thanks for your reply! So if the cam is ml enabled, it isnt the end of the world if this is accidentally done? Wont brick cam?
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

aedipuss

sethBB - from the user ML manual "Magic Lantern has no audio controls for Canon 600D/T3i and newer cameras. You can disable AGC from Canon menus though."
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112