Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiggierip

When shooting with a REC-picture style on,  I noticed my camera doesn't switch to the REC-picture style the first time recording after the camera has been turned off. From the second clip on it will switch to it just fine. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sorry if it has been mentioned before.

MattNoir

dmilligan - I tried every possible combination of turning on/off camera, with or without card. I couldn't afford to fail in this.

Also I found out that somebody has been messing with that card, probably friend of mine. Because ML folder was not there. After reformatting (slow format, just to be sure) it works fine. But either way I am gonna sell it, already bought faster card.
70D.111A
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Helios 44M-4

dmilligan

Quote from: MattNoir on September 29, 2015, 07:16:28 PM
dmilligan - I tried every possible combination of turning on/off camera, with or without card. I couldn't afford to fail in this.
It makes no difference turning the camera on/off (like I said, the power switch is not really a power switch, at least not on a hardware level, it is just a 'software button'). You must do exactly this: remove card, remove battery, replace battery, turn camera on.

Deleting ML files from a SD card that is 'bootable' will result in the camera crashing (it's actually the Canon firmware's bootloader that is crashing). If this happens you have to remove the card, then the battery. The on/off switch has no effect. This is what happened to you.

Once you reformatted the card, it's no longer bootable, so the Canon bootloader does not crash if ML files are missing, and your camera will startup normally.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: Wiggierip on September 29, 2015, 08:23:16 AM
When shooting with a REC-picture style on,  I noticed my camera doesn't switch to the REC-picture style the first time recording after the camera has been turned off. From the second clip on it will switch to it just fine. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sorry if it has been mentioned before.
Hi @Wiggierip, yep I have had the exact same results throughout the alphas and beta which I noted earlier but may have been missed.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

OlRivrRat

@Wiggierip & TechnoPilot

What the heck is this "REC-picture style" that you guys are talking about?
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

OlRivrRat

Never mind I found it. Can someone Please update the ML User Guide, It's dang near as old as the hills.

nycpete

Hello folks -- longtime lurker here.  Thanks to @nikfreak, @walter_schulz and all others who make this forum incredible.

Please help -- I've scoured the forum and user guide and can't find a solution to my issue --

I've installed on my 2015 model 70D the (Beta-1 / 22th Aug) for 70D.111B, with no previous ML installation, and it seemed to install fine -- but my ML menu is missing some significant features -- Audio and MLV at the very least.  These seem to have been re-enabled at least since Alpha-7b "ICEMAN".  Pic of my ML menu here: http://postimg.org/image/5i2bs3dgp/ and my build info here:  http://postimg.org/image/dxxonh6gb/

Many thanks and my apologies if I am missing something obvious, since as a newb this is probably something I am doing wrong.

Peter

OlRivrRat

@nycpete

You need to turn the Modules On

nycpete

[facepalm] Thank you OlRivrRat. Sorry for the interruption to all.

Cyberiarvo

Hi Guys, im new on magic lantern.. I just installed it last night.. Can someone help me on the settings i need to turn on. I try to record on MLV but i dont know how to use the file, then i try raw and the noise is so bad.

Please guide my as youtube dont have the tutorial.

Thnk you so much

pbenco

Hello,
I try to install ML on my 70d. What's happened is very confusing:

• first i download both zip, and try the B file,unzipping to the root of a sandisk speedy card. nothing occured, i thought that i have an A model, go for a try!!!
  • i format the card, unzip the A files on the root, and put it into the DSLR, nothing occurs, so i put the battery outside the 70D, to be sure it's really off, and insert it again. some blikking of the red "reading" led, black back screen, responding info display on top. Some photos with lines on it, decide to take the batt off once again, and now, err80 or 70, in 5 or 10 seconds after power up, with or without a memory card in the 70D.
i need some help i guess ;-)
best
     Ben, still not desperate, but quite anxious...

aedipuss

pbenco - did you install the ml firmware?  you need to put the camera in manual mode and select update firmware in the camera menu with the ml files on the card.  follow the instructions.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

pbenco

Dear aedipuss
Thanks for your quick reply ;D. I try to get access to my menu, but nothing occurs, as i have a black screen and no idea of what menu i have.
I have try a new zip archive, for both A&B, and format the card between each try, but when i turn to M as manual, and power up the 70D, i get red reading led, and nothing append.
I'm stuck!
   Ben

Walter Schulz

Sorry, your description lacks some details.

0. Remove card and battery. Insert battery.
1. Format card in cardreader.
2. Copy extracted files and ML directory to card.
3. Insert card into cam and startup cam.
4. Run firmware upgrade.
5. After success message turn off cam and restart
6. Access ML menu by pressing Trashcan button.

If you get stuck please report back at which step error occurred and what happens with the camera (LED status, LCD status).

aedipuss

take the card and battery out.  reformat the card in a reader attached to your computer to clean everything off.   replace battery and start without a card.  camera should come on say no card then start after a minute.  turn it off insert card and turn on. go to canon menu and reformat card with a check in low level.  if camera turns on ok without a card but still doesn't work with that card, it's time to buy a new card as that one's bad.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

joashanghai

Sorry that  I am using this reply feature to report a so called bug but I cannot find out how to post here on the forum.

I installed  ML 111A version on my Canon 70D and got besides that the menu switches off  after a few second as main bug that the ISO settings are changing randomly so one is recording with an aperture which is changing randomly. And this with a fixed ISO setting. For instance I set ISO to 100 and suddenly it is 800 and back to 100.

I tried out also the Raw feature and no surprise the recording stopped after 5 seconds or so. With file sizes around 80mb/s it is anyways not usable for 2K.

ShootMeAlready

Ok, something I dont check that often, but did last night.
The 70D clean outs.  If you plug in an HDMI cable the LCD goes blank. 
But if you plug in a usb cable, and use a PC/EOS utility or Android/DSLR Controller app, you can still control the camera and see its picture.
The magic lantern feature, is clear overlays, set it to "always".
Now you can live stream HDMI with your 70D (or even your rebel series). 
The part I only recently realized is that HDMI stream is 4:2:2 compression!  H264 is only 4:2:0.
However Canon had to lame the 70D because its not a XD series, so it shoots less less than 1080p.
The ML wiki states: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/HDMI_Output
" HDMI output from the Canon HDMI is limited to 1620x1080 (3:2) while the camera is not recording.
This requires the user to crop the footage from the external recorder to 1620x910 (16:9) and
then resize it to either 1280x720 (79%) or 1920x1080 (119%)."
Yes it works in Aug-22 release. 
Next I am going to try if you shoot 720p to see if the HDMI out is 720p (no crop required?).
Really this is just for live streaming, but a 720p is very OK for internet.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

aGill

"ISO range" setting (in Auto exposure module) works only in photo mode.
Can this work also in movie mode?
By default in movie mode Canon set 6400 ISO max, no matter your settings for max ISO range are. Would be great to shoot in AUTO ISO with a max range at 1600!!
See also CRIRUS's reply #1776
70D.111A

javier.martinezyanez

Walter Schulz

Modules tab -> MLV_REC.mo
Restart
Movie tab

Thobias

I'm new in ML but already impressed... It is incredible, what can be done with code! Actually it was my final decision to buy Canon 70D because of this piece of software. However I have few questions...

- H.264 bitrate options is disabled, is it permanent?
- 70D SD card write limit is about 41 MB/s, so my 95 MB/s card is useless I guess
- It would be nice, to have for preview image options that show me on display whole picture after take it + after XY seconds, zoom on 100% to AF point. Is it somehow possible to set this automatically or at least allow to zoom picture immediately after taking it? Now I have to take picture, let 2 sec preview, press play, zoom to picture, close preview... Very frustrating.
- Is it possible to have in custom cropmark images (bmp) semitransparency? PNG is not supported I guess.
- Temperature is in RAW units, what should be maximum safe value for 70D? Sometimes I have about 212 RAW units of temperature.
- Is it possible to show actual time in LV?
- Any plans for updates?

Thanks a lot!
Canon 70D (ML 70D.111A - Beta-3) | Canon: 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM | FD 35mm f/2.8, FD 50mm f/1.8, FD 135mm f/3.5, Soligor: FD 28mm f/2.8 | old Canon flash Speedlite 299T | Windows 10 64bit

dmilligan

Having a fast card for downloading to computer is still useful.

Semitransparent black is possible in the bitmap overlay buffer.

ShootMeAlready

OK is there a way to save the ML settings,
- global draw = off
- arrows = off
- clear overlays = always
such that when you power off and restart they stay off until you
go back in via the trashcan. Right now they dont stay off after power off/on.
This is pretty useful for streaming.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

aedipuss

save them as a sort of preset?  all settings on my 70d stay the same after power off and on including global draw, and clear overlays. if they were set off they start off on power on.   not sure what arrows is?
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112