Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

I think we are Talking about same thing ~ on both items.

My set up for FRSP + ARS is ~

Silent Picture   "Full-res, DNG"

Audio RemoteShot   ON, level=20

ExposureMode    "P" or "Tv" or "Av"

LiveView ~ Shout - Whistle - Clap - etc

I too am getting the warning @ UpperLeft of Screen    "manual mode is required"

But the Exposure gets Triggered, the DNG gets Stored on the SDCard & the Cam Readies for the Next Loud Sound.

As for my Desire to be able to Disable Auto ISO, You are correct that in M mode we have Manual Control over ISO ~ But only in M mode.

I would like to have Manual Control over ISO in "P" & "Tv" & "Av" as well.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

TechnoPilot

Admittedly, I tried both 6fps and 3 fps overcrank at 100iso the other day while I was sitting at the airport, and while the banding was present and agree that it is consistent, it was not super visible (i.e. not really visible on the back screen without looking for it).  What I really miss and actually spend probably 10mins looking for when I first upgraded and noticed it has not rolled over in my transfer of the settings file was the gradual exposure, this a really miss and was a huge feature to me.  I know it was part of another item in the build that was disabled, but it really on its own was a significant feature that to me was huge and worked extremely well (sorry I felt it was well reported it's solid functionality and I didn't personally submit its effectiveness).  I never had an issue.

I'll submit an official report tomorrow, but what I see has been improved though still not perfect is the record mode picture profile.  I had issue with it not reliably switching to my record profile of Cinestyle over Standard for when not recording.  While this is improved and the second video after boot reliably switches to Cinestyle, the first almost guaranteed never switches out of standard.

(Yes I have not updated my sig on the computer yet, I'm writing from Tapatalk on my Note 4, but I'm on build B with my 70D)
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

chrisfrancia

Found another bug:
When you have more than 1 LV Display Presets enabled and you attempt to change Kelvin White Balance setting by pressing info from the Canon Q Menu you cannot change the setting. However, having only 1 LV Display Preset enabled remedies the bug. It is likely still possible to change the white balance from the ML menu. I found this bug when using 3 LV Display Presets, I did not try to replicate the bug with 2 or 4 display presets.
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

nikfreak

@OlRivrRat: Guess something like this, right? If so then I would ask you to put a request over there.

@Technopilot: I'll have a look and try to enable "Gradual Exposure" with the next update again. Those patterns you talking about seem to be interesting topic too. I've posted some link to a topic covering such things here.

@chrisfrancia:  thx for the report.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on August 17, 2015, 09:10:15 AM
@Technopilot: I'll have a look and try to enable "Gradual Exposure" with the next update again. Those patterns you talking about seem to be interesting topic too. I've posted some link to a topic covering such things here.

That would be awesome if it can be made to be implemented without having to enable another non-functional component.  The only issue I found was with large rapid exposure changes as a reported before, but even then, it was only with the reported current ISO not with the actual gradual image change (incorrect ISO being displayed in the ML overlays compared to actual ISO value).

I read through a lot of what you linked to and I have to agree it does seem to be fixed pattern noise, probably caused by the CMOS sensor itself that is creeping in, even in h264 recording, though most of the reported problem seems to be when undercranking in raw. I feel like a lot of the discussion seems to focus on, might require customized dark frame subtraction on a per camera basis to be implemented to properly eliminate it and is probably beyond the 70D specific development that you are doing.  That is my two cents.

I also just noticed last night, the removal of the arrow key shortcuts (I really need to read the release information closer from now on).  I am assuming you have some ideas for better implementation of this function by your comment?  Overall, the previous implementation worked pretty well in my experience and was only hurt by the initial Canon menu appearance overtop of the ML overlays on the initial press of the AF button.  Is there anything that we can do to help further development of your preferred solution for this?

Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

I know the arrow keys would work but as written in changelog I want to finetune it so that it's really a single button press (maybe unpress) and cannot be activated by another button. It's a lil bit of hard work (got 60D's implementation as example) but we can always switch back and use the last implementation at any time. Shouldn't be a showstopper...

regarding banding / possible fixed pattern noise:
You written you captured the banding with lens cap on, right? Please read the following messages up to the end o fthe thread and try this if you got time:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg152597#msg152597

aedipuss

may be a silly question by why is raw video being converted and stored as dng as the 70d cr2s work fine in photoshop and vegas pro.  wouldn't they save faster to the card as cr2?
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

ontheset

I dont know what it is but every since the ALPHA5b everything is negative on liveview. But if I half press the shutter it turns ok. If I let go of the button it goes back to negative again.
Any guess?

nikfreak

@aedipus: raw video is stored as mlv file containing the raw data. Only frsp saves as dng but can also write a single mlv file. Postprocessing is another topic...

@ontheset: Sounds like some misconfiguration. I understand "negative" in terms of "black and white". Can't follow your shot description of what you are experiencing exactly but you better use the config reset option in ML menu and retry.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on August 18, 2015, 12:31:45 AM
I know the arrow keys would work but as written in changelog I want to finetune it so that it's really a single button press (maybe unpress) and cannot be activated by another button. It's a lil bit of hard work but we can always switch back and use the last implementation.

regarding banding / possible fixed pattern noise:
You written you captured the banding with lens cap on, right? Please read the following message up to the end and try this if ou got time:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg152597#msg152597
Fair enough and definitely makes sense on the arrow shortcuts point.  I think I am getting what you mean on that point of only a single point of trigger (admittedly though I never stumbled upon another in my testing and use).

I will see what I can do on the link you sent which I have now read through.  I had not yet tried capturing a dark frame (lens cap on), though my testing and experimenting with undercranking had been in ALL-I h264 and not in RAW, as most of my video work does not warrant the extra work in post or storage requirements of RAW video.  I will let you know my results though when I have a chance to sit down and run through the steps listed in the link.

Just to confirm since you implemented the feature in this build at my request:

Record button shortcuts - Working, both with and without hold in all testing (Still have to try with remote trigger port after I finish rewiring my handle to not use Lanc) [emoji14]

Thanks again for implementing that for me!

nikfreak

You might not have luck with h264 with the earlier linked solution. I thought the patterns were only appearing while raw recording (see below)!?

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg152546#msg152546

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on August 18, 2015, 12:53:21 AM
You might not have luck with h264 with the earlier linked solution. I thought the patterns were only appearing while raw recording (see below)!?

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg152546#msg152546
I highly doubt I will have any luck doing anything like what you linked with the h264, I mean I'll see what my results are with using it with a RAW undercrank video.  I'll also offload those h264 3 & 6fps videos I took at the airport and see what the banding is like on a large monitor, honestly it appears no where like what I'm seeing with others using it with RAW and will probably disappear with grading from the flat Cinestyle profile.

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

"I thought the patterns were only appearing while raw recording"

I Don't shoot RawVid'. The Streaks I'm getting are in H264. I thought that was obvious when I posted

" Just tried 6FPS from 24 (1920/24All-I) & - Streaks are there - "

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

"Guess something like this, right?"

Actually no ~ Those guys are wanting Auto ISO in Man' Mode ~

I would like to have Manual Control over ISO in "P" & "Tv" & "Av" Modes.

Not wanting it to be a distraction from the GreatStuff you doing already - but - if you should happen to stumble on to a way ~~

JohnnyG_71

@nikfreak:  Looks like there may have been some confusion.  I was the one doing the testing and screen uploads of the FPS Override and analysis of the vertical patterns and testing with the lens cap on.  Everything I've done has been in h264; I've never shot video in RAW.  I know some would prefer you not work on this, as they have other prerogatives, but I am willing to assist in any way I can to help solve this.  Cheers!!
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

GlomB

I can't see my battery level in % anymore.
Is the option hidden in the menu? Or is it a bug?

EvoX

I have a problem with magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug15.70D111B
When navigating in the ML menu it closes the ML menu (after a random number of seconds betweeon 5-20 seconds). It is very annoying because you try to change some settings and boom, no ML.

I also had this problem with previous versions

TechnoPilot

Quote from: EvoX on August 18, 2015, 10:33:18 PM
I have a problem with magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug15.70D111B
When navigating in the ML menu it closes the ML menu (after a random number of seconds betweeon 5-20 seconds). It is very annoying because you try to change some settings and boom, no ML.

I also had this problem with previous versions
@EvoX - Please ensure you read the first post.  This is a known problem with ML in general on multiple cameras when using LiveView and can be worked around by opening the ML menu while the camera is not using LiveView.

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

Suggestion ~ Move "What's Not Working" to the Beginning/Top of the Change Log.

shakenda

I'm willing to try out this alpha build, but I'm going to wait until I have a stretch with no gigs lined up, just in case.  Any estimate on when the beta will be released?

Thanks!

nikfreak

Quote from: shakenda on August 19, 2015, 06:55:09 PM
I'm willing to try out this alpha build, but I'm going to wait until I have a stretch with no gigs lined up, just in case.  Any estimate on when the beta will be released?

Thanks!

Beta is just a name! If that will encourage you to try it out I will call it Beta from next release on  ;D
Jokes aside the build really feels solid. Some lil' quirks here and there but no showstoppers.

TechnoPilot

@shakenda, I'd have to echo @nikfreak on that feeling.  I've been running it non-stop since alpha5b through multiple gigs and have experienced no showstoppers, with the newest build being the most stable yet.

OlRivrRat

@shakenda

I'll do a 2nd Echo. I've been Onboard since the day the "B" Version Posted & have had No ShowStoppers.

Also, there is no reason @all that you have to have it Running After Install. If you want it to Go Away just use a Card that Doesn't have ML on it.

aedipuss

is there a FAQ for the 70d ml?  or could we create one?  it might keep most of the repetitive new user questions here to a minimum.  i can't do it as i am one of those newbies, but i'd help work on it.  if needed i could host it off on a static webpage of it's own.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

DeafEyeJedi

*Feedbacks*

Regarding Alpha7b aka 'ICEMAN' -- it actually gives you good luck to give it a name especially on the verge of becoming part of nightlies. 

1. Change log items
-Audio Meters: OK
-Movie Crop: OK
-Zoom to AF Point: OK
-Moving Focus Box: OK
-REC Key: OK
-Audio Remote Shot: OK <--This is real nice!

2. Overlays
-Zebras: OK
-Focus Peak: OK
-Magic Zoom: OK
-Crop Marks: OK
-Spot Meter: OK (Confirmed it moves with autofocus touch now) which is REALLY nice!
-False Color: OK
-Histogram: OK
-Waveform: OK
-Vectorscope: OK

3. Improvements from previous builds
When pressing Q to bring up the canon menu while on the ML view the Q menu seems much more stable (doesnt flash out and stuff) - Confirmed!

4. Bugs
-Pressing zoom in on canon menu, not ML view, brings up some debug window or something that sometimes says "saving config" at bottom, turning off camera gets rid of it - Confirmed this work around temporarily works!

-Battery indicator not working, also no percent shown only icon (confirmed & thought this was normal for Alpha's thus far or no?)

-Can't move spotmeter, magic zoom point while in manual focus on lens (Confirmed it does NOT move while in manual focus aka Nikon Lens, etc)

-While recording RAW video pressing menu button causes camera to black screen, then crash, didn't have to remove battery just restarted, recording lost. Pretty much a non issue since once you know about it you just dont hit it, not really a reason to/you arent usually able to, but, figured i'd mention it since i accidentally did it. (CONFIRMED this but it was well documented earlier I believe?)

-Trap Focus: Works as expected but doesn't work if LiveView is on and don't remember if it worked previously with it on?

-Auto Exposure Module: This one seems strange because I'm still trying to investigate on this one further before I can explain this into details. It just seems like it doesn't act properly while in LV but other than that it seems OK?

-Movie Crop: OK Although not a big deal but it should be possible to assign this into a hot key one of these days?

-Movie Crop: Follow Focus seems to have trouble staying on Subject while in this mode. Still investigating.

-Dual iso video mode: Not working as expected.

-FPS-Override 24p MLV/RAW: OK

-FPS-Override 6 fps & Under: Vertical Banding showing as expected.

-FPS-Override 60p MVL: Somewhat OK

-FPS-Override 60p RAW: OK

Also @nikfreak let me know if you would like or need video clips of certain modules or tweaks on 70D.111B -- Thanks, mate!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109