Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aedipuss

photoshop cc on a pc will not open the dng's.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

george964

DeafEyeJedi  I did not think that this is a problem in my software, I seamlessly open DNG from EOS 600d silent pictures

JohnnyG_71

Quote from: george964 on August 15, 2015, 11:25:45 PM
Adobe raw can not open DNG Silent Picture , error...
almost tried everything ,
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug08.70D111A
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug15.70D111A
EOS 70D
same situation on convertion  from mlv. to dng

My apologies for not being able to give more detail at this time, but this is what I found in the time I had...

Photoshop 2014 / Camera RAW 9.1.1 - "Unable to read the full size image" "There was an error parsing the file"
Photoshop 2015 / Camera RAW 9.1.1 - "Unable to read the full size image" "There was an error parsing the file"
Lightroom CC (a.k.a. 6) / Camera RAW 9.1.1 - "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"
Lightroom 5.7 / Camera RAW 8.7.1 - *Works Perfectly*

Looks to be a problem with Camera RAW 9 opening DNGs from the 70D.  Wasn't this addressed a couple other times back through this thread?  I can't remember and don't have time to search now, but I thought there was an issue with the DNG files coming out of the 70D and the latest Adobe versions not working correctly.  I thought someone mentioned using a RAW editor and changing the camera model metadata in the file from 70D to 60D.
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

george964

JohnnyG_71  you are right I read this error messages too..
I'm going to try Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7

DeafEyeJedi

Guys I think you just need to update the cr2hdr binary to be able to export 70D files properly...

Read first post of this thread.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

george964

please write link what you mean
I need to solve this problem, already tired, seeking a way out 2 days

aedipuss

the dng files don't work in vegas pro 13 either. it would be nice if they did!
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

DeafEyeJedi

Let's please try and keep this thread on topic.

aedipuss

WTF someone with a problem with the files created by the ml 70d firmware can't get help here???  what is more on topic than that?  and where are they supposed to go for help if not here?  snottiest forum i've run across in ages.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

dmilligan

@aedipuss
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing

@DeafEyeJedi
Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on August 16, 2015, 01:12:34 AM
Guys I think you just need to update the cr2hdr binary to be able to export 70D files properly...
These guys are not talking about anything that has anything to do with dual ISO.

@all
It has been said over and over again in this thread and elsewhere that ACR has an issue with DNGs created by ML and various ML related tools for the 70D. Adobe has done something strange with the 70D and ACR. DNGs that are otherwise perfectly valid, will not open in ACR because some particular metadata is not what ACR is expecting it to be for the 70D. ML and 'offical' ML tools all use some old DNG writing code ported from chdk (chdk_dng.c). This code is not very good and needs to be replaced (it is the source of this issue and several others). When I wrote MLVFS, I tried to pay careful attention to getting DNG metadata correct and I complete re-wrote DNG writing code. I have taken the code I wrote for this and used it to replace the old chdk_dng.c. I have submitted a pull request for this, but it has not been merged yet. I have not had any reported issues of 70D DNGs from MLVFS not working, so the DNGs produced from this PR should also work I suppose, they should be pretty much the same in terms of metadata (I have not tested it as don't have a 70D, feel free to test it yourself, you'll have to merge the 70D PR branch with the DNG PR branch).

If you have existing 70D DNGs that you want to open with ACR, use exiftool to change the metadata (the easiest thing to change is make the camera model something else like 60D, though you could also figure out what other metadata is causing the problem and fix that).

@nikfreak
You should probably put something about this in the OP, because it keeps getting asked a lot, but the solutions gets lost in the noise.

DeafEyeJedi

@dmilligan & @All:

Well that's my fault then and guess what I meant was the exiftool binary -- either way it still works fine on my end with 70D FRSP DNG's without having the need to change the metadata as far as I'm concerned... got caught up within myself typing on this iPhone with the Tapatalk app.

As @dmilligan mentioned, I'm afraid @nikfreak did previously point this out on more than one occasion and also is there a specific reason why if I open FRSP DNG's directly from 70D.111B just perfectly fine with ACR in PS, AE and even works well in LR5 as well?

So I apologize for causing all the so called noise when simply was trying to help others.

@nikfreak I'm going to be off work for the next few days and should get a full report to you soon regarding 'Iceman' & Thanks again for the update!

JohnnyG_71

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on August 16, 2015, 04:43:36 AM
As @dmilligan mentioned, I'm afraid @nikfreak did previously point this out on more than one occasion and is there a specific reason why if I open FRSP DNG's directly from 70D.111B just perfectly fine within ACR in PS, AE and even works well in LR5 as well.

@DeafEyeJedi:  What version of ACR do you have installed?  LR & PS both use the ACR engine for decoding the RAW files.  The reason I ask is, you specifically stated you're using LR5.  LR5 uses ACR8.  I only noticed the issue with the ACR9 engine, which is what LR6(CC) & PS 2014/2015 uses.
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

DeafEyeJedi

Well I think that may be the culprit because I'm afraid I remember seeing someone post similar issues in this particular THREAD specifically with ACR9 -- I've been tempted to update it but I always stick with the old saying...

"Don't fix what's not broken!" so maybe that could be the issue?

Perhaps try downgrading to ACR8 and report back.

OlRivrRat

@george964

The Files open fine for Me as well ~ APSCS5 + ACR6.7.1.340
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

camslide

I have a question regarding Silent Picture + Audio Remote. My goal is to trigger my diy timelapse slider with sound as it is easy, cheap and there is no electrical connection to the camera. Tried the audio remote feature yesterday and it takes silent pictures. But when I took the first picture, the screen stays black and I can't take another picture. Is there a workaround to get audio remote working on the next picture too?
70D.112

OlRivrRat

@CamSlide

Not thinking about what Exp'Mode I was in I started a test in "P" & it was working Just Fine but kept Showing a Mess' that I needed to be in "Man" - So I switched to "Man" & got the same results that you got -

rOOmUSh

@all

In purpose to open the DNGs in ACR 9.1+ you need to change the UniqueCameraModel parameter using the exiftool by choosing the Exiftool direct option
and entering this string in the box -Exif:UniqueCameraModel="Canon EOS 60D"

nikfreak

Recommended mode for FRSP is manual mode (not P, Av Tv..) and also manual ISO (not AutoISO). Now we should narrow it down if it's a general bug or only 70D specific:

@camslide: Your image review settings aren't set to "Hold". Due to that you get a black screen after timer (2sec, 4sec..). i am unsure if anyone ever tried what you did but normally frsp can be used with intervalometer for shooting timelapse.

I can't retry on another cam now but it looks to me that audio remote shot + frsp can't work together in the way you want to use it. It may be used to trigger it once but that's all.

Now Walter can you check on your cam and confirm?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

Quote from: nikfreak on August 16, 2015, 07:32:57 PMNow Walter can you check on your cam and confirm?

I would like to but I only own 650D and 7D.

nikfreak

Ok maybe another user with another cam having audio remote shots enabled (e.g. 6D, 5D3..) could check plz?

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

Hmmmm - FRSP seems to work just fine in P, AV, TV & With Audio Remote - What's up with that?

& - Speaking of Auto ISO, Sure wish it could be disabled, any way you might look in to that @ the After Party?

nikfreak

@OlRivrRat: Cannot confirm with fullres silent pcitures. I am getting the warning in menu + when trying to use frsp that "manual mode is required". How sure are we that we talk about the same thing? I tested "simple" option and that seems to work with audio remote shot...

regarding autoISO I guess you simply switch to M mode and dial in a desired ISO. That's how it is done, right? I really guess we are not talking about same thing now!

Might ofc be a bug with 70D.111B but I am confused atm.

camslide

Quote from: nikfreak on August 16, 2015, 07:32:57 PM
@camslide: Your image review settings aren't set to "Hold". Due to that you get a black screen after timer (2sec, 4sec..). i am unsure if anyone ever tried what you did but normally frsp can be used with intervalometer for shooting timelapse.

I can't retry on another cam now but it looks to me that audio remote shot + frsp can't work together in the way you want to use it. It may be used to trigger it once but that's all.
I just checked simple mode and can confirm it working. Unfortunately FRSP "freezes" in review mode until I press the shutter half way. Seems like I have to trigger it "the old way" :-(
Tried FRSP in AV, TV AND P but get the message "Manual (M) mode ist required".
EDIT: Using internal intervalometer works with FRSP, but when I do longer timelapse shots, I would fear getting both timers(slider and camera) out of sync.
70D.112

nikfreak

@camslide: there's "powersave in Liveview" which might be the root cause. Unfortuantely I cannot help you atm as there's no easy way of disabling that feature w/o breaking the silent.mo module. You would have to wait until we get merged into the nightlies officially. Afterwards you are free to create a new "enhancement" ticket on bitbucket. In your case you would want to have some kind of "turn off powersaving" option inbuilt into the silent.mo module! But I am unsre if your use case would ever get supported. Atm i have to admit that this is not a bug specific to 70D!!!

JohnnyG_71

No...  this is not a scene from "The Matrix"  :P

Not sure if this helps or not...  This is an FPS Override (6FPS) with the lens cap on.
I believe what we are witnessing , technically, isn't vertical 'banding', as I previously called it.  It's more of a pattern.  I did look at two of my videos, and compared the vertical stripes, and they were identically placed stripes / patterns in all of the videos. 

For example:

These are two different videos, shot at two different times, with two different lenses.  Notice how the stripes / patterns line-up vertically between the two...