Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Walter, thanks for the hint, I'll check and it might help but atm I remember we had reports of problematic sound recording. Check posts after this comment:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg150213#msg150213

mlv_snd is atm not a high priority on my todo list. Other bugs are keeping me away of dealing with that additional issue. Got enough headaches due to fps and dualiso  :P

@lojzik: thanx for your report.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Frarike

h.264 + FPS = No banding
MLV + No FPS = No banding (with sound enabled)
MLV + FPS = Banding (with sound enabled)
Raw + FPS = Banding (without sound enabled)

Shot as 24 and over-ridden to 6.

Doubt the sound has anything to do with it but anyway.
70D.112

nikfreak

ok thanx for providing the necessary info. It was unclear to me if you used fps override.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

TechnoPilot

@Nikfreak - A question for you, is there any chance we can get the "Movie Record Key" button assign functionality into the next ML build for the 70D?  I'd like to wire in the remote record button on my Tilta Wooden Grip Handle to trigger the record start/stop function of the 70D without hacking into the body and this seems like the best way I've seen, by assigning it to the half shutter press and some very basic wiring to the remote plug on the camera.  Here is the link to the article that I found referencing this function http://www.diyphotography.net/dslr-rig-video-remote-record-button/
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

@Technopilot: I will enable the button assignment functionality on next update. It's already commited but needs a merge. It will then be up to you to test it. But I guess (read: no promise) that it will work.

@DeafEyeJedi: as always thanx for taking time and providing those vids. I really appreciate it.

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on August 11, 2015, 08:23:17 PM
@Technopilot: I will enable the button assignment functionality on next update. It's already commited but needs a merge. It will then be up to you to test it. But I guess (read: no promise) that it will work.

@DeafEyeJedi: as always thanx for taking time and providing those vids. I really appreciate it.
@nikfreak - I'll test on next update then and confirm.  Thanks!
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

DeafEyeJedi

No problem, @nikfreak!

Another side note that may be worth pointing out is the fact that whenever I shoot MLV (with & without FPS Override) and it would create a folder inside the memory card and place the MLV inside after each recording. Is this new?

It would cause confusing and hiccups when exporting/rendering with MLVFS and I solved the issue by manually taking the MLV's out from each created folder which I thought it was odd or was this done intentionally for a reason that I may not be aware of?

Not a big deal since it's a easy workaround.

*update*

For those who are curious from @dmilligan's latest update with MLVFS now supports slo-mo files to be rescaled properly within the app itself. Read here @ Reply #699!

@Danne's cr2hdr-r was already capable of rescaling nicely for slo-mo files as well.

DeafEyeJedi

@X-STATE: I couldn't respond to your PM because it says 'users mailbox is full' -- so empty/delete to make room and I'll try responding later.

Canniballissimo

Answer, please. I have included only the modules mlv_rec and mlv_snd, enable MLV Sound on the Audio-tab, enable RAW Video (MLV) on the Movie-tab, but  where the sound is written when shooting video? The MLV unpacked I only see DNG-files

X-STATE

@ DeafEyeJedi :  done  :)
I am waiting for your messages  ;)
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

jpfazendeiro

First of all let me congratulate and thank everyone for taking the time to be involved in this project. It's clear that there is a lot of us that been waiting for this long time now (some more patient than others).

The functions I've used so far seem to be working OK

I'd would just like to state, I dunno if anyone else has noticed, even if the shutter number doesn't match has seen on Live View on Pal (which has been discussed already), when changing settings to NTSC 720p 60fps i haven't been able to get the proper shutter.
For 60fps im getting 125 on top LCD and 100 on LV when it should the correct shutter should be 120, am i right?
For 30fps im getting 60 on top LCD and 50 on LV
My question is which is the real number the camera is takin while recording ML?

My Raw experiences have been inside only with low light, but the results are looking promissing, even though there are a few pink pixels all around, yesterday i found an option on MLRawViewer which deleted them, so I'm still learning the process.

I was actually thinking of buying a ultra fast card like 600x or 2000x, but after going through almost all posts here i was really sad when realized that the SD interface has 45MB limitation, correct? Does anybody know if its possible to solve this limitation, through firmware or "magic"?  :P

I was really looking forward for Raw Slow Mo's, i could live with 720p, but less than that, kind of takes the whole point out of it. Anyhow, clean HDMI is looking a good option, has anyone tried?

Waiting on the sound options when ready :)

Thanks again

70D.111A

nikfreak

Regarding audio bug reported by @tomtom91:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg152532#msg152532

Next update will include the fix (props @walter for the hint) and audio meters + remote shot will work, too  :P

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on August 13, 2015, 10:10:23 PM
Regarding audio bug reported by @tomtom91:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg152532#msg152532

Next update will include the fix (props @walter for the hint) and audio meters + remote shot will work, too  [emoji14]
YAY!!! So awesome to hear you have the audio meters functional Nikfreak!  Great work!

Marc_Petzold

@nikfreak

Ok Thanks you have re-add the Focus Feature for  7a.  And when comes the 7b. Is it difficult or  gives there are some  trouble.

THX
Marc

Ok sorry I understand it.
last update Version B

nikfreak

new build is up! Read 1st post and changelog.

chrisfrancia

Upgraded from Alpha5b to Alpha7b(ICEMAN).

New build is fantastic!!! On the look out for bugs, will post as I test things in new posts. So far,

1. Change log items
-Audio Meters: OK
-Movie Crop: OK
-Zoom to AF Point: OK
-Moving Focus Box: OK
-REC Key: OK
-Audio Remote Shot: OK

2. Overlays
-Zebras: OK
-Focus Peak: OK
-Magic Zoom: OK
-Crop Marks: OK
-Spot Meter: OK (Also moves with autofocus touch now :) )
-False Color: OK (Although I am not an expert on how some of these should look they look as though I believe they should)
-Histogram: OK
-Waveform: OK
-Vectorscope: OK

3. Improvements over old builds
When pressing Q to bring up the canon menu while on the ML view the Q menu seems much more stable (doesnt flash out and stuff)

4. Bugs
-Pressing zoom in on canon menu, not ML view, brings up some debug window or something that sometimes says "saving config" at bottom, turning off camera gets rid of it

-Battery indicator not working, also no percent shown only icon

-Can't move spotmeter, magic zoom point while in manual focus on lens

-While recording RAW video pressing menu button causes camera to black screen, then crash, didn't have to remove battery just restarted, recording lost. Pretty much a non issue since once you know about it you just dont hit it, not really a reason to/you arent usually able to, but, figured i'd mention it since i accidentally did it.

-Trap Focus: Works when using in viewfinder as intended, does not appear to be working in live view, could be user error

-Auto Exposure Module: Does not seem to change the exposure when in live view, it shows the corrected exposure av/tv/iso but once you let go of the half shutter it goes back to what it was. In viewfinder this does not happen. I actually like the live view way better. Could be I needed to wait longer for it to lock in and change however in live view it was changing and staying changed immediately.

I want to end my post again by saying thank you, this build is a fairly significant step up! I will do as much testing as I can this weekend. Thanks for such a nice weekend surprise!
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

OlRivrRat

@nikfreak

What was Non-Working about Gradual Exposure ~ Seemed to be doing just fine for me ~ Maybe I just didn't know what it was supposed to do ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

nikfreak

@chrisfrancia: thanx for your detailed report. These kind of posts I like to see.

@OlRivrRat: Gradual exposure gets automatically removed together with HDR video once CONFIG_FRAME_ISO is undefined. We might enable GE at a later time. But I don't remember anyone explicitly confirming HDR video as working and my quick test showed the same too.

@All: can you recheck the vertical banding reported with earlier 7a2 build please?

X-STATE

-Audio Meters: OK
-Audio Reс - ok don't crash
-REC Key: OK
-Zebras: OK
-Crop Marks RAW/MLV: OK
-Histogram: OK
-ETTR: OK
-Rec RAW video : OK
-Movie Crop: OK  but unfortunately, we can not assign a hot key on/off. It would be very comfortable.
-Movie Crop: follow AF not working, the only way to focus automatically half-press
-Rec MLV video : always drops arbitrary 1 frame. Is no such problem in RAW mode
-Rec MLV video : no alternatives between 1920 and 1600, strange... but it is possible in RAW mode
-Rec RAW video : afte convert in raw2cdng.1.7.4 ACR identifies *.dng file like Canon 6D
-Rec MLV video : afte convert in raw2cdng.1.7.4 ACR identifies *.dng file like Canon 70D
-Dual iso foto mode: OK
-Dual iso video mode: so sad :(
-FPS-Override 60p MVL: OK but drops 1 frame
-FPS-Override 60p RAW: OK

Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

george964

Hi everyone!
How to open the EOS 70D DNG Silent Picture?
almost tried everything.
Adobe raw does not open, an error..., before now zero  problem with EOS 600D 

aedipuss

ok i'm in. iceman installed, the "a" version worked fine first time.  but i seem to be a dope, the feature i'm trying to find isn't on the menu.  how do you get audio meters to show in movie mode?  i looked in the ml/canon menus and don't see it.  checked the modules and don't see one to install for levels?

i don't seem to have an audio tab in the menus at all? is this one accessable in the 70d like in the 60d?

thx
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

Just tried 6FPS from 24 (1920/24All-I) & - Streaks are there - Possibly worse. Sorry.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

JohnnyG_71

Unfortunately, vertical banding still exists.

1280/60/IPB - ML set at 6FPS, all other ML settings at default.

Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

PrasadVedvikhyat

@nikfreak - First of all, thank you so much for your amazing work.

I am a newbie and I was testing the alpha 7a build. It worked great. But had one issue. While recording MLV, I had set aspect ratio 2.35:1, but it used to change to full screen while recording. But the recorded video had the right aspect ratio. It was difficult to compose the frame due to this. ( Global draw was ON and cropmarks ON)

Then I clean intstalled the latest Iceman build, set the global draw mode ON and movie crop mode ON and It shows the correct aspect ratio while recording. But now both auto focus and touch focus don't work while shooting MLV. If I turn movie crop mode OFF then the aspect ratio changes to full screen and auto focus starts to work again. But as soon as I touch the screen to focus, the crop mark appear on the screen, camera focuses where i touched on the screen and the camera crashes immediately. Err 70

I tried searching forums but that didn't help. Sorry for bothering you. And thanks once again.
70D.111A