Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlRivrRat

@ tryanbran

You should try to find someone in your area who is successfully running M'L' on an OlderVersion of 70D like yours & borrow their SDCard

for a quick test. If that works just copy the files off that card to your card & cross your fingers.

Or send me an EM @ [email protected] & I'll send you my address so you can send me an SDCard that I'll put my files on & send it

back to you. Just a Cheepo PNY 2GB should work just fine ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

sergey

I was told  how open   in  LR 6.1 or PS 2015 CC (Windows)   File.DNG  received in ML . Сan anyone help.

At least it is a temporary solution.
You have to change the "Unique Camera Model" in the metadata of the DNG file to "Canon EOS 60D".

Here is how you can do it:
1. Get exiftool from here: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
2. Open a command prompt (like CMD in Windows)
3. Navigate to the folder where your DNG files are located
4. Run the command: exiftool -UniqueCameraModel="Canon EOS 60D" *.DNG
5. DONE: you can now open the DNG files in CameraRAW or Lightroom again

70D_111A

jasongw

Quick question. I skimmed the thread and didn't see this answered, so please don't kill me if I just missed it :). Does this make it possible to capture clean 1080p from the HDMI port?

Thanks!

Jason

ikemikek

Hello,
I realize this is off-topic and I sincerely apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this.
I was wondering if it is possible to use an external HDMI monitor with the 70D running ML and retain the touch-focus capabilities? In other words, to ensure that both the external monitor and the flip-out LCD are displaying the live view.
Thanks!

aedipuss

@ tryanbran 

if you are still checking the thread - is there any way for you to use a pc rather than a mac?  i've had trouble with macs trashing cards with ml files on them.  something about the file extensions used macs don't like and they write a bunch of hidden files/folders to the card that you can't see.  i've taken a working ml card out of a camera, checked it on a pc, put it in a mac pro and then neither the pc nor the camera could read them.  a low level format was the only way to fix it.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

OlRivrRat

@aedipuss

It appears as though, from the ScreenShot that He posted a link to, Tryanbran is using a PC.

As far as M'L' on Mac is concerned ~ Myself & 2 Friends have been working with M'L' on Macs for several

years with Great Success. My MacPro is an older 1 that can not run an OS newer than 10.7.5 but the 2

other Guys have New IMacs & MacPros & the Newest OSs ~ No Problems. The Cams range from My 5DC,

5DMk2 & 70D to their 5DMk3s, 70Ds & 60D.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Danny

Hi :)

I have a problem and I dont know how fix it.

If I recording to RAW o my 70D in new version of ML (Jul13 version) cant export video to MOV/DNG in Mlrawviewer (1.4.3 or 1.3.3). Click on ''Add clip to export queue'' and nothing happed. But in old version of ML (May31 version) with old ML RAW record its work fine.

Anyone have same problem?

Thanks for reaction, thanks for ML and sorry for my eng. :)

aedipuss

@olrivrrat - ok might have been a one off.  it was the only time i'd ever tried having a mac read a ml card.  won't do it again.  almost lost that card.

does anyone know if the 70d has a UHS2 sd card interface?  i just picked up a card read writes an honest, tested 200MB/s but only if used in a UHS2 device.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

Walter Schulz

There is no Canon DSLR supporting UHS-II.
If your card is from SanDisk it will have inferior UHS-I compatibility mode speed. Maxing out at about 47 MByte/s write rate.

Surrealtime

@jasongw The hardware doesn't support clean HDMI so it will never be possible as far as I know.

aedipuss

@walter schulz - oh well, at least it's a lexar and does 85MB/s write in UHS-I
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

aedipuss

is it only me or does the development of this 70d ml seem a bit off?  i have used ml for a couple years on my 60d and am quite happy with it.  i need the standard still frame type stuff like HDR multiframe control and the standard video stuff like audio levels and manual control along with zebras.  i am more than happy with the 70d 90mb/s ALL I-FRAME video with autofocus control and have no use for raw video.

so there is nothing in these alpha versions i would want, but if the standard stuff were added i'd gladly help test it out.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

chrisfrancia

i gotta say I agree, I was at first excited for raw video but after finding out about the inconvenience of the 45 mb/s... I wish other smaller things were implemented instead.

For example, with the current state of ML for the 70D for video I mainly use ML for the focus dots/peaking, however if I want to see audio levels I have to sacrifice this
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

bben83

Thanks a lot for your very good job !

I wonder why the movie rec key isn't more available in this alpha6b version ?

Can I hope this function to be back in the further versions ?

70D.111A

LostFate

First and foremost, great job on the port to the 70D!

I've been silently stalking following the progress of this project since before it moved to this new(er) thread. Coming from the T3i, the 70D is a massive step up... but I have to echo the sentiment of the fellows above me. I've been considering putting the bug in your ear for bulb ramping for a while now but felt like I'd be an a$$. Seeing as all the cool kids are doing it, I figure I'll finally make the request.

Disclaimer: Well aware that this is a free project that you aren't getting paid for. These are not demands. You do whatever you think is best... Just, if what you think is best happens to be bulb ramping there will be internet high fives waiting for you.
Formerly: Canon Rebel XTi, Canon T3, Canon T3i + ML
Current: Canon 70D (111A) + ML
ML version as of: Aug 03, 2015 - Nightly.2015Apr21

TechnoPilot

I've been noticing a lot more inconsistency with the latest 6b build and 6 from the 5b switching from a display picture style to the record picture style.  It used to reliably switch, but the new versions don't always, especially for the first recording after a bootup.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

Quote from 1st post:

QuoteUpdate your forum signature and add your model (70D.111A or 70D.111B) so you can expect help with bugs.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on August 03, 2015, 06:48:22 AM
Quote from 1st post:

Hi Nikfreak,

Sorry about the lack of that, I'll boot up my computer tomorrow, login and add it.  For now, just know I'm running the 111B firmware.
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

ShootMeAlready

As long as folks are kicking it about, and for what its worth, I think a higher quality H264 would be best way to improve IQ.
The two features being most coveted are variable bit rate (better detail & push colour grade harder), and dual iso video (for HDR).
H264 lets one use higher ISO without Hot Pixel hassles, and the workflow is faster than raw.  ALL-I compression shot flat, when handled correctly is excellent.

I sympathize with those frustrated by the 70D raw resolution limits, however the 70D AF does touchscreen focus pulls & faster than focus puller action tracking. 
So its AF chops with H264 and ALL-I compression make the 70D useful and even crucial tool. 
If one wants to shoot 1920 @ 2.35 14 bit raw, 5DMkII is still best $$$ option (around $1k).
If one can work with less than 1920 @ 2.35 raw via up res.(see my recent post page 58) , thats where the 70D can work.  720p raw or 1500 @ 2.35 raw, the 70D is continuous.
If one wants to shoot 2k and beyond raw, consider the BMD ursa mini 4k, super 35mm sensor, global shutter, 12 stops DR (same as 70D), 12 bit raw (negligible difference from 14bit raw), Da Vinci resolve enabling 444 442 flavours, up to 160 fps slo-mo, and with EF mount lens ($3k + battery option). 
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

denkpause

I get really weird colors/lines when shooting long exposure stills:

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4068/jba7nuyi_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4068/xvqql3mk_jpg.htm

Starts at around 2 seconds exposure, varies though. Sometimes it goes away after a few shots, sometimes not.
Anyone else having this problem? Not sure if it has been mentioned on the forum yet. Haven't found anything...

Btw thanks to all for the great work, especially nikfreak!
70D.111B

camslide

Quote from: denkpause on August 03, 2015, 07:54:43 PM
Starts at around 2 seconds exposure, varies though. Sometimes it goes away after a few shots, sometimes not.
Anyone else having this problem? Not sure if it has been mentioned on the forum yet. Haven't found anything...
I had this problem twice (meaning 2 pictures). Not reproduceable for me.
70D.112

denkpause

It happens regularly to me. I could not figure out a clear reproducibility either though :-\ I only know that when I disable ML (swap card) it never happens.
70D.111B

RAMAKANT

Dear all,
My 70D is on ML alpha6(May31) version till now. Appears to be OK but trust you will excuse some of my layman-questions - as below:

1. While shooting still photos, the focus-peaking does not appear in the LCD monitor PRIOR to shooting (while the click button is semi-pressed) at all. I get it in the LCD monitor AFTER the shooting of still image only (during the 2-sec review period). What is the wrong I am doing?
2. When I start shooting video, it runs green for a second or two, but then it turns red - failing to turn green any further. The SD card that I have is LEXAR 16GB 633X (95MB/Sec), Is it not good enough for video-shooting?
3. Regarding raw video capabilities, is alpha5 version better than alpha6 version (as mentioned by someone in this thread above)? If so, I would like to uninstall the May31 version & install the older version. Where exactly is it available? Or else, should I try July13 version?
4. Regarding HELP (specifically for 70D ML). All I have viewed till now are some youtube videos (courtesy TKF Productions) only. Is there a single location in the web, mentioning what all is the latest applicable?

Appreciate your kind reply, thanks in advance  :) :) :)

Antholight

Hey guys,

I can't find the maximum video resolution of the 70D in Raw mode. Someone could tell me Please ?

TechnoPilot

Quote from: Antholight on August 05, 2015, 02:19:59 PM
Hey guys,

I can't find the maximum video resolution of the 70D in Raw mode. Someone could tell me Please ?
Hi Antholight, this is somewhat dependent on the card you are using (what speed it can sustain write if it is below the SD slot limit of 45MB/s) and the very dependent on the aspect ratio you are wanting to use.  The best bet is to experiment with your setup and see how long it will record before it starts skipping frames and stops recording.  There are many examples of what other people have managed to achieve is further back in this thread.