Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootMeAlready

Any folks been experimenting with raw video to minimize rolling shutter in terms of fps & resolution & shutter.
I did some 23.967 fps @ 1728 / 2.39 aspect @ 1/160s testing, around 30mm and
I am finding the rolling shutter very noticeable with hand held shots, rolling shutter is hard to shake (pun intended).

Any success stories out there worth a checkout.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

pierre2fun

Hello A1ex,

I can try helping. B version with Wifi.

Cheers, Pierre
70D ML 111B

joanmsoriano

Quote from: laci.szebeni on July 03, 2015, 07:59:30 PM

I don't understand.. How did you try installing ML again? Can you access the Canon menu?

i copy the new files to the other sd card

Quote from: laci.szebeni on July 03, 2015, 08:22:35 PM
Also, did you by any chance use the SD card somewhere else before putting it back in the 70D when it stopped working?

I ask because it reminds me of this situation I had: I took by mistake the SD card from my T3i (with t3i ML on it) and inserted it in my 70D, and it froze up when I turned it on (black screen, non responsive). I think I had to take out the battery to power it down, but it then recovered when I inserted the correct SD card with the 70D ML on it.

So...

nope, i use that sd cards only with that camera

Quote from: a1ex on July 03, 2015, 08:03:57 PM
Got it, so bootloader is working, but something's wrong with the main firmware.

Can you send me a copy of ML/LOGS/ROM*.BIN from your card? (hopefully you still have a ML card with these files)

Then, when nikfreak returns, I'll ask him to prepare a ROM dumper from the recovery branch (it's easy, there are some stubs to find).

Since you have a second Canon camera, this test could be also helpful: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13070
(you will need compiling skills, and it might not work out of the box, so it's best if nikfreak could help here as well)

I can help with the compiling part next week, but I'll need a tester (since we need to try the diagnostic tools on a good camera as well).

i can send you that roms, i have the ones in the SD card and i also have other 2 in my computer, i think a backup i made the day i download the first ML beta, at this point i can wait and help you diagnose or look at it if it was a ML bug, and then if we can´t recover take it to technical service for reboot or something

i can´t try with the other camera becasue i don´t have it anymore
Canon 70D (W)
sandisk extreme pro class 10 95mbs
Nightly.2015Apr23.70D111B

bump

The new links to Alpha5 work fine, Walter.  Thanks.

Loaded Alpha5B on my camera.  So far some minor glitches.  Sorry if some of this is newb mistakes but it's been a few years since I used ML.

First one is after taking a photo the review briefly displays the image and histogram (as expected) then draws a kind of ghost image over the display.  Short video of what it looks like:

The level display freezes.  It worked for maybe a minute then stopped updating.  Randomly it will change but I haven't figured out if anything triggers it.

When shooting with ETTR All or Snap enabled I get RAW ERROR occasionally.  I'm shooting in my office in low light so I assume it's too dark for further adjustments.  But confused about RAW ERROR messages. 

Is it expected that focus-peaking doesn't work in Magic Zoom?  Because it doesn't; not in the Magic Zoom box and it also turns-off in the main image display.  Also, when the lens is set to manual focus I can't figure out how to move the focus/spot meter location; I have to switch the lens back to auto focus, change the focus point, then switch back to manual focus.

The ML menu times out rather quickly at times.  Sometimes after just a couple of seconds.  And the help file is missing, though I assume I can grab the help file from a beta and copy it to the appropriate location to make it work.

I had a random situation where my front and back dial controls were reversed.  I have my front dial set to adjust aperture and back dial to shutter speed and when shooting video they somehow got reversed.  Haven't reproduced it yet, though.

I used the Intervalometer a bit and at one point it shot 3 photos in quick succession before settling in to the desired interval. 

That's it for now.  It's supposed to rain most of the day so I won't get much chance for more testing until Sunday.
Canon 70D | ML 70D111B Alpha 5B
Canon 50/1.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 10-22/3.5 | Canon 17-55/2.8 IS | Canon 100-400/4.5L IS | Opteka 8/3.5 Fisheye

EOS70D JP

Hello 70D forum!!

@ DeafEyeJedi
Thanks for your reply and your advise!!

@Walter Schulz
Thanks for your reply and your download link.
Now,we were able to download "Alpha5a and Alpha5b" from your links!!

Tonight,We try these firmware!!

Thanks Magic Lantern.
Thanks 70D forum.

Mr.Click

Nikfreak, I found out, that the freazing Touch Screen Issue  after erasing a Picture, is caused by the Playmode actions ( in Image Review Settings) I turned it off now and the Issue is gone. I use Alpha 6
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

Mallowsm

Is there any news on getting uncompressed out the hdmi?

Walter Schulz

It's up to Canon to make this happen.

nikfreak

@Mr Click. THX for the tip. I'll be back in 3 days and look after it.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

EOS70D JP

Hi,70D forum.
Thanks Walter!!

We tried "Alpha5".
We can installed "Alpha5a".
Alpha5a is work fine too!!
All of Japan models have wifi function.

Thank you Magic Lantern team!!

mrpanda

bonjour,

je viens d'installer ML sur mon 70D
j'ai une carte SDHC 95mb/s en transfert et 90mb/s en écriture
quand je fais mes test en RAW vidéo il me dit Fram Skipping
pourtant je n'enregistre pas en 1920*1080 je suis en 1700*900
avez vous une solution ?

cordialement
hello,

I just installed on my ML 70D
I have an SDHC 95MB / s transfer and 90MB / s write
when I test my RAW video he said Fram Skipping
yet I do not register in 1920 * 1080 I in 1700 * 900
you have a solution?

Best regards

Mr Panda

Walter Schulz

SD-card interface in 70D is limited to about 40 MByte/s write rate.

webdev

Hi All

Total noob to ML (I know.. joy) but from what I've seen from youtube videos this is some amazing stuff. You guys are genius! Thank you for sharing!

I am excited to learn more about it, using it and such, but I have some questions.

1) What mode should the selector wheel be on to install?
2) What happens if I need to swap an SD card.. like if I run out of space on the card I used to install ML and put in a card that is only formatted and empty with canon folders. Does the ML need to be on all the cards?
3) I installed alpha6 and have the A version of the camera, but in the first post some things were removed. I tried looking through bucket for the comments, but where?
4) Would the boot/install make any changes to the camera before starting the firmware update? Like when the camera boots up, is anything from the ML files being applied before actually going to the menu and hitting update firmware?
5) What do you all recommend as the best resource to get good starter info for using ML?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Chris
Canon 70D | ML 70D111A Alpha 6

laci.szebeni

Quote from: webdev on July 10, 2015, 06:21:29 AM
Hi All

Total noob to ML (I know.. joy) but from what I've seen from youtube videos this is some amazing stuff. You guys are genius! Thank you for sharing!

I am excited to learn more about it, using it and such, but I have some questions.

1) What mode should the selector wheel be on to install?
2) What happens if I need to swap an SD card.. like if I run out of space on the card I used to install ML and put in a card that is only formatted and empty with canon folders. Does the ML need to be on all the cards?
3) I installed alpha6 and have the A version of the camera, but in the first post some things were removed. I tried looking through bucket for the comments, but where?
4) Would the boot/install make any changes to the camera before starting the firmware update? Like when the camera boots up, is anything from the ML files being applied before actually going to the menu and hitting update firmware?
5) What do you all recommend as the best resource to get good starter info for using ML?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Chris

1. Install ML in manual mode.
2. You need to install it separately on all your cards.

Guitarshredder1

Is there any chance of developing/implementing white balance controls in the next release?

xcalibr

I have a 60D which I installed ML on years ago but have been waiting for a stable release for my 70D. I can't wait any longer, I'm ready to install the Alpha because I need audio monitoring very badly but have a question that I did not see answered yet. I purchased the Manfrotto Digital Director for my iPad in hopes that it would allow audio monitoring and while it does have VU meters, it will not play the audio through the iPad. So my question is, after installing ML will the features of the Digital Director all still work? And if they don't, will the uninstall ML procedure work to put the 70D back to the way it was? Thank you!

TechnoPilot

Quote from: xcalibr on July 11, 2015, 05:05:53 PM
I have a 60D which I installed ML on years ago but have been waiting for a stable release for my 70D. I can't wait any longer, I'm ready to install the Alpha because I need audio monitoring very badly but have a question that I did not see answered yet. I purchased the Manfrotto Digital Director for my iPad in hopes that it would allow audio monitoring and while it does have VU meters, it will not play the audio through the iPad. So my question is, after installing ML will the features of the Digital Director all still work? And if they don't, will the uninstall ML procedure work to put the 70D back to the way it was? Thank you!
Unfortunately to tell you, the audio monitoring, control and meters are not yet implemented in this Alpha as there is a new audio thread that has yet to be merged into the main ML build and it makes sense not to duplicate work, they will then have to be debugged before inclusion.  I was talking with Netfreak on the matter about a month ago when I was asking what I could do to help push the audio development on this Alpha along as even just the meters was all I found missing from ML for my normal workflow.

If the iPad device connection functions using similar forks into the Canon hardware as DSLRController, you might run into some issues as I believe people have reported conflicts running both the external device connected to USB and ML.

As for removal of ML, it is functioning perfectly well with the firmware install, & wait 60secs to uninstall function.

Hope this helps!
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

@Mr. Click: I now tried several times myself to replicate your issue but touch works for me after using set+wheel actions in playback mode with additionally deleting a picture afterwards. If or once you read this could you re-check after the next update?

xcalibr

Bummer, thanks TechnoPilot for the update before I did anything. Guess I'll wait and keep using my 60D till a version is ready with the audio features. Thanks again!

TechnoPilot

Quote from: xcalibr on July 12, 2015, 12:06:06 AM
Bummer, thanks TechnoPilot for the update before I did anything. Guess I'll wait and keep using my 60D till a version is ready with the audio features. Thanks again!
No problem, glad I could help!

Just so you know however, while some have reported issues using DSLRController with ML, I use both personally and haven't yet had issue.

Cheers,
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

Updated first post. Read changelog.
Notice: I measured a massive dropdown in raw temperature (menu Debug-> internal temp) with today's release. Got ~185 displayed with previous versions and now it's ~167. Anyone can confirm compared + measured to Alpha5/5b???

OlRivrRat

@NikFreak

Just a bit embarrassed Here - I just noticed that with either 70D_111B Alpha6b or 70D_111B Alpha5b running, I have

No Control over ISO in MovieMode/Man.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

nikfreak

@OlRivrRat:

I am able to set ISO in moviemode and liveview and even via ML menu but I must admit I just tested and can set it exactly once while movie recording after activating arrow key mode and then it seems to block / become unresponsive. Is this what you experience?

TechnoPilot

Just to comment on my side, I was pretty sure it was working for me and on my 70_111B running Alpha6 I had no issue when not recording, however while recording I have to press and hold the AF mode button to keep the arrow buttons active and I can then change it.

I did notice however that the ISO value displayed often errors and shows an erroneous value (a value from the other direction of the change) when the ISO is change rapidly up or down while recording and remains showing that erroneous value until the smoothing completes or the value is changed again with the arrow keys.  This similar thing happens less frequently while not recording, however the value corrects itself in this case before the smoothing completes, usually in what seems like one second.

I'll move up to Alpha6b later today and see if this changes the behaviour.

nikfreak

Quote from: TechnoPilot on July 13, 2015, 07:09:53 PM

I did notice however that the ISO value displayed often errors and shows an erroneous value (a value from the other direction of the change) when the ISO is change rapidly up or down while recording and remains showing that erroneous value until the smoothing completes or the value is changed again with the arrow keys.  This similar thing happens less frequently while not recording, however the value corrects itself in this case before the smoothing completes, usually in what seems like one second.

I'll move up to Alpha6b later today and see if this changes the behaviour.

6b shouldn't change that behaviour but thx for the detailed report (either it hasn't been reported that way til now or I didn't see it til now - it's new to me). That means I need to take a look again at arrow keys but anyways I recommend everybody to update as the log files (links on bitbucket) show no "Path incomplete" messages any more with 6b as it was with earlier builds (idk what it so Path messages were referring to - guess something related to AF  ;D). if you have time please do a comparision of raw temperatures as stated above:

Quote from: nikfreak on July 13, 2015, 02:00:01 PM
...measured a massive dropdown in raw temperature (menu Debug-> internal temp) with today's release. Got ~185 displayed with previous versions and now it's ~167. Anyone can confirm compared + measured to Alpha5/5b???