Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

It's very time consuming to develop features that take 30mins to do a single test run. Considering this is a free time hobby project, most developers likely don't have that amount of time, patience, or care to work on something they are just doing for fun.

OT: it is very difficult to read and understand your posts. a1ex already expressed his frustration, and I would like to express mine as well. Please use plain English. Grammar was invented for a reason, and while native speakers may understand what you are saying, this is an international community, with many non-native speakers whom I'm sure find it next to impossible to understand you (esp. if they rely in small or large part on computer translation)

OlRivrRat

@DMilligan

"Off topic" ~ I suppose I am to assume that you were pointing that @ me, (nice to know I'm not invisible, as I was starting to wonder if that might be the case).

"Back on topic" ~ As for the (30Min' Shutdown & Movie Restart / Auto-restart movie recording), You made it sound as if it is fairly simple to do (for someone who

knows "Where & How" to make an alteration to what appears to be some "Code"), so I was just curious as to why, if it is that simple, it has not yet been implemented.

Just so ya know ~ I am ever so deeply appreciative of NikFreaks apparent knowledge & patience & all the fine work he has done for those of us who are wanting

to get the full potential out of our 70Ds.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

dmilligan

The "code" I provided (and it is actually real code and not just "code") is simply to prevent auto power off after 30 mins (which is the problem for raw video and external recording), not for recording h.264 or auto restart (which is more complicated, and extremely time consuming to test).

Even though the "code" is simple, it was not quick or easy to come by. This is a reverse engineering project. Sometimes it takes years of research (or even just random dumb luck) to figure out how to do something even if the result is a single line of code. And sometimes those findings are not portable to other cameras, and sometimes users clamoring for a build don't actually bother to do proper and useful testing and feedback that is actually helpful to developers. Instead they simply ask: "how do I get feature X to work?" or "when are you going to have feature X working?" or "I'm not a coder, but I figure X should be easy, why don't you have it working yet?"

And, it has been implemented, raw video does use that snippet of code (I copied that from raw_rec as a matter of fact). It's just not implemented for external recording (...yet. If someone wanted to, it would be fairly easy, even potentially possible to do from a lua script).

MysteriousLight

I totally agree with the difficulty of developing and reverse engineering. Its very time consuming and can also be scary at times. Having some web development background, I know it can be a little intimidating to think that testing a particular code may just conpletely mess up all your work. In web developing you can back things up, but since you are actually risking an expensive camera you can potentially lose something permanently when testing ML code.

That being said, I would certainly be interested in knowing a time frame by which the project is expected to reach beta. 1-2 months 6-months to a year?

Walter Schulz

It's ready when it's ready.
There are no timeframes within ML project.

mocenigo

BUG REPORT: Since I installed ML ("B" branch) on my 70D I noticed that sometimes image panning and magnification via touch and pinch respectively stops working. It is difficult to reproduce reliably. I shoot a pic, I zoom in, sometimes panning via touch works, sometimes it does not. It exhibits the same behavior even if "quick zoom" under "image review settings" is turned off (but it does not seem to occur if I then restart the camera).

I would like to know if others experienced the same.

Roberto

ShootMeAlready

Walter your response kind of reminds of an
Abbott and Costello Routine.

When its ready?
Its ready when its ready
Great, but when Its ready?
When its ready.
When is that?
When its ready.
Look its not up to me, when Its ready?
You think It'll let us know?
Oh yes when its ready, you'll know.
You'll know when Its ready?
Yes, you'll know.
How can I know, when I dont even know what I am talking about!
... third base.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Trent10

@dmilligan

I do not know how to write or implement code. Is the code snippet you posted to disable the auto-off function something I can cut and paste somewhere for the desired effect or would it require more code to get it to do what I'm trying to do? You mentioned it being something that could be accomplished fairly easily in Lua. I don't know what Lua is.

I don't expect someone to take this on, but if it is something I can get to work myself without destroying my camera I would like to give it a try.

MysteriousLight

QuoteIt's ready when it's ready.
There are no timeframes within ML project.
I was hoping for a more reliable answer, but I guess that would be too easy... so I guess I'll have to do my own estimation.

Canon 5d Mark III started alpha around September 2012, never reached beta until early 2015.

Canon 6d is started alpha december 2012, currently in limbo http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.0

Canon 7d (not mark II) started alpha december 2012, still in alpha...

So drawing from that info since 70d alpha started January, 2015 this will most likely take much MUCH longer to reach beta and highly likely it won't reach stable release within a reasonable time frame.

dmilligan

"alpha", "beta", "stable" are just words. Unlike a software business that might have strict definition of these terms (that involve various levels of QA, unit testing, acceptance testing, user testing, and so on), these words don't have any real meaning in our context (because we haven't strictly defined them). You can't even really compare these labels on different ML ports, b/c these ports had different developers and these labels are simply whatever the particular dev though they ought to be (and again this is because we have no definition of these terms for ML).

stig3824

Quote from: nikfreak on May 04, 2015, 11:17:32 PM
Anyone else having same experience or may verify above? I would just like to have it verified. In this case someone else with an older camera raw version would need to update to the latest version and share his/her experience with the end result. Actually I am a little bit confused with user experience. Some have no problems others do have 'em. Add to that different user scenarios like LR plugin or different cr2hdr versions (win/mac)- either downloaded from 1st post or provided by other tools. No offense to anyone.I just want to find the root cause of the reported dualiso issues because I have no clue atm what is causing them.
I have the same problem, but have managed to work around the problem by opening the dng in Photoshop (loads file without overexposure) then exporting as a tiff which I open in Lightroom 6.  For some reason Lightroom 6 doesn't load the dng's correctly but Photoshop does.

I have tested some other dual iso files members have on this post by converting the dual iso cr2 to dng.  I get the same results with those from the 70D, but the dng from the 6D works fine straight into Lightroom 6.

I have now tested with Lightroom 5 and the problem goes away.  There seem's to be only an issue with dng's from the 70D and Lightroom 6.

I have also posted this issue on the Lightroom forum https://forums.adobe.com/message/7628706#7628706

markpa

Two questions. I've been shooting using dual ISO and just recently switch to the new alpha release, now after converting the files to dng, all images have blocks/lines in them still. Ive noticed the converter was taken down from the first post , is there a reason for this? And should I be using another one with the new alpha release?

Second question .
I do lots of long exposure photography, when converting files from dual ISO is it normal to have lots of hot pixels?  Sometimes up near 200 or more on several
Occasions.

Any help here greatly appreciated.

Fatherjack57

I don't know if this has already been experienced, but I was trying some RAW video recording yesterday and when trying to check the footage, the camera didn't recognise the files.  In fact it said there was nothing there, however, when the sd card was put into the PC they showed up as being there.  I'm hoping the camera hasn't thrown a 'wobbly' but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Walter Schulz

Do you have MLV_PLAY.mo and FILE_MAN.mo loaded?

ShootMeAlready

Markpa love to hear a few more details on your long exposure time lengths & ISO used.
I was expecting to hear this, as I have been testing the raw video at high ISO, and spent a lot of time verifying hot pixels.
Long exposure should have the same sensor saturation response as video, because they basically have the sensor on for a considerable length of time.

You can review a few back posts of mine, but the long & the short of it. 
ISO 800 was the max usable, but still produced hot pixles less than 10 after 1 minute.
ISO 400 and bellow was quite usable, 1 - 2 hot pixels after longer times.
I am hopeful that dual ISO, will enable higher ISO use but that's only working for still photo's.  DeafeyeJ has produced some dual iso still shots, but I am interested to see with longer exposures the hot pixel/shadow noise profile.  This will pretty much predict how it will go for dual iso video (unless a really fast shutter reduces the saturation??? ... need to look at that).

Close related finding to hot pixels, is noisy shadows in low light.  They look like random hot pixels, and this again
followed the same ISO findings as above.  I would err on the side of caution and use ISO400 as a working max for video / long exposures.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

DeafEyeJedi

*small feedback*

Decided to test out 70D w 50 1.4 AI.

Shot in MLV 1/48th 1824x1026p 23.984fps (no override) @ f1.4 & ISO 200-400 (w ND.9 filter):

https://vimeo.com/130413271

Workflow:
MLVFS > AE (Cinelog-C) > FCPX (Final Grade applied w [CFL] Kodak Vision Premier 2393 Grade 05) & export in 1920x1080p

Notice the strange effect approximately @ 22 seconds?

I checked the MLV file in MLRV to confirm and it is a messed up MLV (no big deal to me but thought it was worth noting?).

However, soon after that a few more MLV files started having a random line flick briefly (forget what they were called) but here are the screenshots:

and yes this was all done with latest Alpha_6 build (May 31st) -- has anyone else experience similar somewhat of an issue even though it's random?

More in depth overall feedbacks coming soon for 70D.111B...

Thanks!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Fatherjack57

Hi Walter, thanks for the question.  As far as I know MLV_PLAY.mo and FILE_MAN.mo was loaded as it had been playing back RAW files (albeit, slowly) prior to this sudden refusal to recognise them.  However, I have found Alpha 6 a bit unstable in comparison to Alpha 5b and so I have uninstalled ML for the moment in order to check out the camera.

nikfreak

@DeafEyeJeydi: I guess it could be related to introducing EDMAC_RAW_SLURP on 70D we could try another free channel and hope that it solves your problems. But I don't see me disabling EDMAC_RAW_SLURP again in the next days(read text and check before / after pics). Actually 70D causes some other headaches (referring to listing3 [focus.c / lens.c] and I am trying to find out what's wrong there first.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

DeafEyeJedi

Perhaps I should do another test with Canon 50mm lens to see if that so called bug would go away and hopefully it's due to using a Nikon lens w adapter?

Or do you know for sure that this is more related to Alpha6 instead?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

nikfreak

My feeling says for raw recording (not stills) return back to 5b until I announce a new build.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

X-STATE

Quote from: nikfreak on June 11, 2015, 10:20:25 PM
My feeling says for raw recording (not stills) return back to 5b until I announce a new build.
Your feelings says this should be done for the two versions? A and B?
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

bigorna

@X-STATE
There is 5b for A and B versions...

TechnoPilot

Quote from: mocenigo on June 09, 2015, 12:02:04 PM
BUG REPORT: Since I installed ML ("B" branch) on my 70D I noticed that sometimes image panning and magnification via touch and pinch respectively stops working. It is difficult to reproduce reliably. I shoot a pic, I zoom in, sometimes panning via touch works, sometimes it does not. It exhibits the same behavior even if "quick zoom" under "image review settings" is turned off (but it does not seem to occur if I then restart the camera).

I would like to know if others experienced the same.

Roberto
I would like to second this bug, I am having the same behavior on my 70D rev B running release alpha6.  Pinch zoom & touch panning does not work for me anytime I've tried to use it.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

Mr.Click

this Issue just happens after erasing a Picture.
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

goldeneye243

I am sure I have just not looked hard enough, but can I access dot-tune with the current build?

EDIT - Found it had to enable the module!