Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

I don't get it either. Seems unusual use case or like that. What about that press INFO button?? I might recheck myself at a later time but we did that and it was confirmed by others to work too. I would say use Global Draw option. Either on or off. Pressing Info button might indicate some problem with LV_BUFFER. Best would be you post some EDMAC screenshot on my other thread but I will try to replicate. In the meanwhile can bredy confirm what happens with MZ set to "Alwas on"?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

I suppose he is trying to say pushing zoom button twice in movie mode will stall cam. Happened with other cams, too.

bredy

The problem are with all card. Same problem.
Global draw are setting standard "Always On".

I press Info button to see the ML Overlay, because with canon overlay display I don't have problem.

With Magic zoom active No problem found.

I press zoom button two time because the first time I don't have problem, the second time I press the Zoom the LV button freeze.

Sorry, but I don't speak english well.
70D.112

a1ex

Not sure I understand the issue correctly.

If you are in movie mode, and RAW or MLV is enabled:
- with Global Draw ON, press zoom twice. Result? (I assume crash)
- with Global Draw OFF, press zoom twice. Result? if it doesn't crash, it's probably related to display filters. Try disabling the grayscale preview in RAW/MLV submenu.

If it still crashes, disable RAW/MLV recording and press zoom twice. If it doesn't crash, CONFIG_RAW_DISABLE_IN_10X_ZOOM in internals.h should help (see for example 5D2 or 550D).

devomk

Greetings to all members. Im new here and this is my first post/reply. I got 70D since half year and now i wanna try the ML sensation.  Im not lazy to read the all 47 pages of this tread, but mostly members are just complaning and reporting the bugs. I saw some short video how to uninstall the ML, which leads me to my question. It is true possible to uninstall the ML in case i don't like it. I just wanna try the famous RAW video before i bring my conto in minus and buy GH4.

P.S. I like to ask a favor for the OP to refresh tiny the first post with more info, snapsots... links of videos how to install, menu setup for us (read:noobs)... e.t.c.

Advance thx for answers

bredy

@a1ex

The problem are in LV mode and Movie mode. The same only with Global Draw ON and active in screen. From display without information I press 4 time Info Button and I see the ML overlay graphics.

With Global Draw Off don't crash, because the dispaly don't have ML overlay graphics.

Where is the RAW/MLV submenu?
70D.112

ontheset

@Walter

Ok resetting the camera fixed that problem but  in dual iso activated it takes 4 consequtive pictures with lines on the image.

I have the B revision

ShootMeAlready

The LV high res. 3X crop mode bug, that I find is sounds like what Walter is talking about.

1280p/60 fps, @2.39, 2k res. (2560 or 2048) selected in either RAW or MLVRAW, hit zoom twice to get 5X,
- ML will set fps to 30 fps from 60fps,  (would be nice if fps could be set using fps override to say 60 fps).
- after hit record then LV starts to stall, update so slow as you are now shooting blind. 
- if in ML RAW settings, I use ML preview default, it sets ML grey scale, which is very pixelated, or if I select Canon preview in colour but Canon's framing (this is not the bug that's Canon for you) ~  both stall to the point of being unusable.  You are shooting MF blind at that point but it is recording frames! (that's the bug no LV).

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

a1ex

@bredy:

I assume you are not using RAW recording, so it must be some overlay. Can you try with global draw on, and anything else disabled in the Overlay menu?

Just in case, can you also try in photo mode LV, with picture quality set to JPG in Canon menu?

bredy

@a1ex

The problem is in Photo mode with LV active, RAW or Jpeg is same don't change.

But in Video Mode I try and I have the same problem.

If I active the Magic Zoom in Overlay Menù I don't have the problem.
70D.112

Conaxe

Quote from: devomk on June 01, 2015, 04:40:40 PM
Greetings to all members. Im new here and this is my first post/reply. I got 70D since half year and now i wanna try the ML sensation.  Im not lazy to read the all 47 pages of this tread, but mostly members are just complaning and reporting the bugs. I saw some short video how to uninstall the ML, which leads me to my question. It is true possible to uninstall the ML in case i don't like it. I just wanna try the famous RAW video before i bring my conto in minus and buy GH4.

P.S. I like to ask a favor for the OP to refresh tiny the first post with more info, snapsots... links of videos how to install, menu setup for us (read:noobs)... e.t.c.

Advance thx for answers
Welcome to the forum! You can uninstall ML. By formatting the card within the Canon menu. Pressing 'Q' will keep or remove ML.

70D.111B

Walter Schulz

This information is not correct. By formatting you will remove Magic Lantern's files and directories from card and make the card non-bootable.
Cam's bootflag will still be there.
If you want to know how to uninstall please read first post of this thread.

devomk

Thx gor the quick answers. I was good in android decompiling/recompiling and my brother is programer. If i can i will glad help in further developing for this trEad.

Regards!

nikfreak

Quote from: ontheset on June 01, 2015, 05:05:55 PM
@Walter

Ok resetting the camera fixed that problem but  in dual iso activated it takes 4 consequtive pictures with lines on the image.

I have the B revision

I think I can't understand what you want. Lines in dualiso is kind of normal. Did you convert and edit in post?  ;D If so post a smal picture before and after editing. 4 pics in a row? No need to use bracketing with dualiso...

devomk

With all respect Herr @Schulz. On the first post don't have instructions how to remove ML. I just format the card as i saw on some video. And i think seems all good.

Thats why i was talking the OP gotta put some more instructions on the first post, except the changelog.

Good work btw. Im not happy with the limitation of the raw video. But otherwise almost all seems good.

OlRivrRat

@Walter

Your "first post of this thread" & My first post of this thread must somehow be Different as each time that I see you tell people too

read the first post of this thread to find out how to uninstall ML, I go there (just for curiosity) to see if I can find it & I am UnableTo ~

What am I Missing ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: devomk on June 01, 2015, 07:26:00 PMOn the first post don't have instructions how to remove ML.

Willing to bet there is no info how to remove cam's bootflag? It's there.

nikfreak

I added a note for uninstalling magic lantern to the 1st post. The installer states what to do, right?

Quote from: devomk on June 01, 2015, 07:26:00 PM
Thats why i was talking the OP gotta put some more instructions on the first post, except the changelog.

My goal is rather to become officially merged into nightlies and then re-open a new thread. This one will be left as it is and closed if we get official one day. It will help new devs / porters to have an idea what to expect and how and what to ask from testers. They'll lbe able to copy&paste 1st post for their dev work...

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 01, 2015, 07:42:44 PM
Willing to bet there is no info how to remove cam's bootflag?

I added it 2 mins ago :-)

Walter Schulz

No, it was there long time ago. In screenshot, bottom line. Attention to details, folks! <eg>

TechnoPilot

I hate to say to those that seem to be having a hard time figuring out how to install or uninstall ML, this was my first ever time using the software on a Canon camera and it was very easy to install and even simpler to uninstall.  Something I really want to thank Nikfreak for tackling since the Rev B release.  I just feel that with it being SO SIMPLE now, he, along with the rest of the testers, should not have to dedicate so much time to items that are not bug correction related.

Honestly the only thing I wish that was easier was rolling the install over onto my other cards without having to use extra software to make them bootable.

While I think it is great that we are improving the instructions for using the software, I feel like the information is already quite accessible and if you are unable to do the basic research, then perhaps an Alpha build isn't for you.  Just my two cents and should be taken with a grain of salt as a techie, but I really wanted to weight in on the efforts that are having to be made on items that are very easily sorted out with a little Googling or reading.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

devomk

Thx to Nikfreak for the "tip".. when i was installing  (for me A version ) i saw the countdown in the bottom.
And for  @TechnoPilot Klugscheißer, you don't have to be rude... after all, big wins coming with small steps.  Since 3 years i developing my own firmware for smartphones. I don't think that 1.6mb update gonna be problem for me...

Keep with doing great work developers... im with you 100%

TechnoPilot

Quote from: devomk on June 01, 2015, 08:31:27 PM
Thx to Nikfreak for the "tip".. when i was installing  (for me A version ) i saw the countdown in the bottom.
And for  @TechnoPilot Klugscheißer, you don't have to be rude... after all, big wins coming with small steps.  Since 3 years i developing my own firmware for smartphones. I don't think that 1.6mb update gonna be problem for me...

Keep with doing great work developers... im with you 100%
@devomk - It was not meant at all to be rude or insulting, but instead just a bit of a reality check on the efforts put into answering searchable questions.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

ShootMeAlready

Ok spent some more time to zero in on the LV 3Xmode high res bug.
It seems that raw preview set to default or ML greyscale is the problem. 
In that mode the focus peaks and the picture start to stall.
Preview set to Canon is pretty good LV action, I tried 2560x1072 with frame skip on, and was able to get 30 fps/ 100 frames for instance + a lot of skips mind you. 
So perhaps use Canon preview andsome marks for your crop when shooting 3X mode, high res.

Hot Pixels:
ISO 1600 ~ 4-6, after 300 frames
ISO 400 ~ 1-2, after 100 frames

Noisy Shadows, I did this using Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 glass.
ISO 1600, f2.8, 30 fps shutter 1/160, 5X zoom, is very noisy in shadows.
ISO 400, f2.8, 30 fps shutter 1/60, 5X zoom, is very good in shadows.
So I expect f1.4 glass will help a lot if you want higher shutter & low noise in shadows.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

bredy

@a1ex nikfreak

I try to define the problem with Photo LiveView Mode.

The problem is only when in LiveView I set autofocus to 'Face detection + Tracking' and enable ML overlay graphic.
Then:
Active LV mode.
Set Global Draw to all mode and active on display with Info Button. You have to see the ML overlay graphic in LV.
Set Autofocus in LV to 'Face detection + Tracking'.
RAW or JPEG are same.

Now press ZoomIn button two time

The LV Button crash. The solution is remove the battery.

If I set the other Autofocus mode or MF I don't have problem.
If with same configuration I active Magic zoom with trigger mode set only to ZoomIn I don't have problem.
70D.112

pontius

Hi, so far I've tested alpha6, on movie mode ML overlay reports shutter speed as 'n/a' and MLV metadata 'infinity' or 0/1000.
Also I had no dead pixels on RAW video with alpha5b and now with alpha6 there are lots of them. Of course I can get rid of bad pixels easily with mlvfs using --bad-pix switch but processing frames will be lot slower.
Alpha5b example
Alpha6 example
70D.111B