Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechnoPilot

Quote from: chrisfrancia on May 19, 2015, 10:25:19 PM
@maitimaus, This is largely speculation and I do not feel like finding out if this is how ML is on other cameras but, I think its a safe bet to say that... When shooting RAW the digital ISO's are disabled so we are left with the actual ISO's as options only. Also any iso inbetween exposure 'changes' you see in camera could be considered just live view simulation?

I was going to wait and let someone else answer but since no one has, maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
@chrisfrancia, @maitimaus - This was also my assumption.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

OlRivrRat

@Mallowsm & @TechnoPilot & @Chucho

Sure seems to me that since it was Chucho that posted this ~

"Mallowsm you have to enable it yourself "70d B" 0xFF19B6C8 PROP_DUAL_OUTPUT"

That Chucho should step up & explain ~ as probably should have done in the 1st place ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

austux

ML seems to be working fine on a 70D ex Hong Kong (it wanted rev A 21 Apr of the ML Zip, when I started it with rev B 23 Apr on the card it told me off for wrong firmware revision).

Hello from Albany, Western Australia. My previous camera was a 40D, am delighted to be able to claim steady images in low light 'by hand' with the 70D which would have necessitated a tripod with the 40D (which meanwhile is in the hands of another family's 15yo eldest son, who is learning very fast).

Are there any plans afoot to circumvent the for-tax-reasons 29 minute 59 second firmware limitation on video recording length?

If so, what can I do to contribute?

Walter Schulz

H.264 recording will always stop at 23:59:59. All other cams have an option to restart recording automatically. Losing some frames cannot be avoided.
70D not restarting - at the moment - has to be called a bug.

MLV seamless recording for +30 minutes is not tested yet and I don't know why.
All other cams have this feature (Nightly builds after 01/29/2015).

ShootMeAlready

Still chasing for record ML_Raw after skipped frame.  This is available option on 5DMIII.
Not sure how many frames/time lost between stop/start, but certainly helps with high res. raw on 70D.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Mallowsm

Quote from: OlRivrRat on May 20, 2015, 05:36:31 AM
                        @Mallowsm & @TechnoPilot & @Chucho

Sure seems to me that since it was Chucho that posted this ~

"Mallowsm you have to enable it yourself "70d B" 0xFF19B6C8 PROP_DUAL_OUTPUT"

That Chucho should step up & explain ~ as probably should have done in the 1st place ~

Thanks!

ShootMeAlready

As for 2048x856 @ 2.39, 5x zoom hence MF, fps dialed to 23.99.
I can get about 200 frames, however when I hit record the LCD freezes for the most part as well as the second counter, but its actually shooting.
So it maybe that fps is working but not updating the LCD screen when shooting, so its a very lame way of shooting. The picture is very sharp mind you.

Another question:  Not sure but somehow my Aperture is locked??? 
I cant adjust it using the usual button, I can only set it inside trash-can ML Expo menu and scroll to aperture???
How to turn the lock off???
-- OK problem solved,  CFIII other - item 2, uncheck the quick-control dial.  It was a Canon s/w setting.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

flou

So I thanks all for hard work!!!

My question is?

The 7d mkii have the ability to control how ''fast'' the AF adjusts to a change in focus point in the move mode , (You can set the AF adjustment speed* (focus transition speed) to one of five levels, from standard speed to slow, to obtain the effect you desire. In addition, you can determine when the AF speed adjustment takes effect. "Always on" sets the AF adjustment speed to take effect at all times for movie shooting (before and during movie shooting). "During shooting" sets the AF adjustment speed to take effect only during movie shooting.)

So, this ability (adjusts the AF speed for movie) can the ML make possible for the 70D ?????????????????

This ability you can see in link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/eos_7dmkii_feature_hd

AF speed

Movie Servo AF speed

Movie Servo AF track area
70D.111B

Mallowsm

Id still love some help with the clean HDMI out on the 70d. Uncompressed. Like i said I've just purchased an atomos and id love to unlock its full potential, the camera this is. If anyone can help me please id be very grateful.

ShootMeAlready

Ok here's one to file away.
It seems the 70D runs hot.  And by that I mean I have yet to see anyone shoot 3200 ISO raw video for 30s without hot pixels (in rather significant numbers).
If one does the Canon "pixel remap" it only gets the pixels which are hot right away.  It does not get those that appear after 30s.
Yet in video, and especially raw shooting, we want to remap after 30s or so (as that's when the most appear).
So to enable the 70D to shoot video at 3200 ISO, one needs to hack the pixel remap, so it can correct for the hots at 30s.
One would need to filter as to remove any 255 (RGB).  Perhaps all one would need to do is click a picture after 30s, and
export to PS, and create a template that only has 255 RGB pixels on it.  Then one would need to read that picture back in,
and use it during the pixel remap.  ~ That's the best chance to get a proper pixel remap. 
Or we could wait for Canon's next 70D update (and the tooth fairy to put a quarter under your pillow).

Ofcourse the do nothing arguement goes like this.
High ISO video/pictures have blocky shadows and weaker colour.
So even if you get a high ISO raw video, its colours are not as rich as low ISO.
The whole advantage of raw video, is richer colours. 
So why not just shoot up to ISO 800 as a max. (which is about highest ISO with only a few hot pixels) for raw video to ensure your video has rich colours. 
If you must shoot high ISO video shoot in H264 (flat pic style for higher DR) with higher bitrate  (which gives slight better detail and contrast)
as comparable solution still providing blocky shadows and weaker colours.

MattNoir

Just quick question - how do I run cr2hdr on a mac? I downloaded and installed exiftool and dcraw and it always says:

cr2hdr: a post processing tool for Dual ISO images

Last update: f381b87 on 2014-07-06 09:46:41 UTC by phil:
Fix output (-o) filename value passed to Adobe DNG Converter wh...

Active options:
--amaze-edge    : use a temporary demosaic step (AMaZE) followed by edge-directed interpolation (default)
--cs2x2         : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas (default)
--wb=graymax    : set AsShotNeutral by maximizing the number of gray pixels (default)

Input file      : /Users/Matt/Desktop/DualISO/IMG_7766.CR2
Camera          : Canon EOS 70D
Camera model    : Canon EOS
dcraw could not open this file

However I somehow managed it to work before (now it just says same text). What can be wrong?
70D.111A
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Helios 44M-4

ShootMeAlready

When AUTO ISO is set in ML Exposure tab, the Canon ISO max is ignored.  That is a bug. ** Did not find a bug report link in page 1 article --- help**
AUTO ISO with ISO MAX is very important in low light shooting.

masterhks

In the next ML update i like to developer fix softness focus on wide open lens, i contact canon to ask for new firmware update for AF fix but from canon tell me no more updates for 70D this is ridiculous..

Fatherjack57

I installed ML version A on my 70d the other day.  I haven't tried everything as yet but most of it seems to work.  The only thing I find missing are the audio level meters, may be this has already been mentioned but I couldn't find anyone referring to them.  I have only just joined this forum so forgive me if I'm going over 'old ground'.  Will they be included in future up-dates or are they hidden and I can't find them ?

MiamiC70

Any word when ML will be ready for Beta?

Walter Schulz

Yes, FAQ -> Troll section, last entries there.

xsghost

Quote from: Fatherjack57 on May 25, 2015, 08:15:04 PM
I installed ML version A on my 70d the other day.  I haven't tried everything as yet but most of it seems to work.  The only thing I find missing are the audio level meters, may be this has already been mentioned but I couldn't find anyone referring to them.  I have only just joined this forum so forgive me if I'm going over 'old ground'.  Will they be included in future up-dates or are they hidden and I can't find them ?

There is no audio for this version of ML. And who knows what the future holds?..
70D.111A     - 600D, 70D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 18-35 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC

TechnoPilot

Quote from: masterhks on May 24, 2015, 04:49:21 AM
In the next ML update i like to developer fix softness focus on wide open lens, i contact canon to ask for new firmware update for AF fix but from canon tell me no more updates for 70D this is ridiculous..
@masterhks - It would seem you either need your glass calibrated, your body, or both, but I have zero problem with very fast glass on my 70D including f1.4 and f1.2.  This has nothing to do with firmware.  Also I will point out that if you have the controlled environment to do it, you can also adjust the focus system to compensate on a lens by lens basis in the 70D, much like the 1D series originally pioneered.
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

masterhks

@TechnoPilot - softness is only by VF not in LV and i calibrate lens few time but one time is +3 next time is +9 or +12, send to canon and back my camera and lens without fixed problem, and the 7D MARK II have the same problem but now with the new firmware 1.0.4 problem is solved....

TechnoPilot

Quote from: masterhks on May 26, 2015, 06:43:56 PM
@TechnoPilot - softness is only by VF not in LV and i calibrate lens few time but one time is +3 next time is +9 or +12, send to canon and back my camera and lens without fixed problem, and the 7D MARK II have the same problem but now with the new firmware 1.0.4 problem is solved....
@masterhks - I hate to say but that sounds like either a specific problem with your body or lens.  I have not had any problem with my 70D on my f1.2, f1.4 or f1.8 lenses other then the need for one of them needing a calibration value that does fix it long-term.  I hate to say but I'm pretty positive what you are talking about though is not a general firmware issue for the 70D, are in the scope of Magic Lantern at this point, and definitely aren't in the scope of this alpha build.

chrisfrancia

have you checked the diopter setting on your VF?
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

bigorna

The diopter only affect the viewfinder, so it has nothing to do about this behavior either.

bigorna

Quote from: masterhks on May 26, 2015, 06:43:56 PM

I still suspect that a different AFMA may be needed for different subject distances. I don't know how you did your tests, anyway I have to investigate this further.
I own a Canon 50mm 1.4

This thread should not be used for this discussion. Feel free to PM me if you want to exchange experiences about this, though.

MysteriousLight

Sorry if this had already been adressed. I read about 10 pages and i havent seenit adressed directly. I havent installed the alpha build but im planning on testing it once it gets to beta. 

The current duration time for maximum resolition of 1800something x 764 is at 15 seconds. I read somewhere that there is a "movie restart" function to circumvent the 29:59 recording limit but not used for the higher resolution raw files. 

My question would be is the short duration time being worked on? Meaning do the developers intend to eventually increase the recording time to continuous for maximum resolution.

Im new to magic lantern so im not sure if this is a common ML quirk. Im planning on using ML for recording hour long footages so im interested in knowing developments regarding this issue.

Walter Schulz

1800 x 764 x 24 x 14 / 8 = 55 MByte/s required with 24 fps.
SD-card interface in 70D is limited to about 41 MByte/s and is nothing you can do about.
Mission impossible.

Lower frame rate or resolution.