Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveM

@DeafEyeJedi -> I'm using the the cr2hdr.exe compatible with 70D for Windows from the first page. 

Here is a zip with my M/70D test shots and converted DNGs if someone wants to take a look.  I wanted to post it before but it my upload speed is not great so it had to wait.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51t5vbbuvw3dt3i/DUAL%20ISO%20TEST.zip?dl=0

msummers1

I absolutely love having magic lantern on my 70D but until the overheating issue is resolved I can't risk it. I keep reading responses saying that its just the readout display being wrong due to yadayadayada. In the last four weeks I covered several concerts and before running the lantern on it I had no issue with overheating and the camera shutting down. but i did have trouble with focusing, hence the magic. Now with the lantern installed I only got half way through the concert when it over heated reading 70C. The camera was hot in my hand and I took the battery out and it was real hot. Putting another batt in seemed to cool it down a touch, enough to run a while longer before over heating again. There is absolutely an issue with the temperature when running magic lantern on the 70D. I have it on a t2i and it runs all day flawlessly no over heating or anything. Unfortunately I will have to remove the lantern for now. I hope that the devs can address this problem. 70d does not over heat when running without the magic of the lantern. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Walter Schulz

Overheating as in "camera shutdown on its own"?

ShootMeAlready

I dont get why battery is heating up? SD card writer cranking faster perhaps?

Lets see shooting video in RAW should mean less processing.  Should not result in much more heat?
Having tried LCD screen on back or off back, I did not notice much temp. difference from LCD placement on my camera.
Even when shooting H264 video for longer shots, I find the camera heats up (but not to a shut-down temp).

msummers1, Curious to know are you shooting at 60fps or 50 fps?  What modules enabled etc. ? 
try:
- turn off most modules (as less processing means less cpu)
- compare write speeds (24fps vs 60 fps for instance).
- do all your batteries heat-up as fast (could be a dirty contacts or some heat inflicted short circuit in the battery)
- keep LCD off back.

** If ML were running some kind endless loop or writing to card more often then H264,
then yeah it could drain the battery causing some kind of overcolocking or excessive power drain
(but if its ML than most should have same shut-down with same conditions),
so your setup conditions/card write speed/length of shots are important to know. ** JM2C
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

xsghost

Quote from: msummers1 on May 03, 2015, 03:29:56 PM
I absolutely love having magic lantern on my 70D but until the overheating issue is resolved I can't risk it. I keep reading responses saying that its just the readout display being wrong due to yadayadayada. In the last four weeks I covered several concerts and before running the lantern on it I had no issue with overheating and the camera shutting down. but i did have trouble with focusing, hence the magic. Now with the lantern installed I only got half way through the concert when it over heated reading 70C. The camera was hot in my hand and I took the battery out and it was real hot. Putting another batt in seemed to cool it down a touch, enough to run a while longer before over heating again. There is absolutely an issue with the temperature when running magic lantern on the 70D. I have it on a t2i and it runs all day flawlessly no over heating or anything. Unfortunately I will have to remove the lantern for now. I hope that the devs can address this problem. 70d does not over heat when running without the magic of the lantern. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

msummers1, it's pretty clear to me that it's just a psychological issue you're confronting with. Seeing that 70C written there in red makes you think the camera is overheating, but in reality the camera gets just as hot with or without magic lantern. As long as you don't get the little thermometer icon from the Canon firmware flashing on your screen and then having the camera shut down, you shouldn't worry too much about it.
I shoot events, so I record about 8-9 hours a day. I at times have the camera recording for 3 hours at a time with only a 10 second brake in the middle while I change to a new pair of batteries. No overheating whatsoever. Running ML all this time.
70D.111A     - 600D, 70D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 18-35 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC

winfel

@DaveM: There seems to be a problem with the DNGs created with the specialized version for the 70d and Recent Versions of Lightroom and maybe Camera Raw. For me it worked perfectly (and still does) in Lightroom 5 but in Lightroom 6 the files seem to be just overexposed beyond potential to rescue them.

SPalarius

Hello.
That is the question. It will do in different languages. I just with Russia, and I would like to be in Russian.
if you do not make it difficult to translate your firmware into different languages.
THANKS A LOT.
Мастерство фотографа заключается не в том, чтобы красиво сфотографировать и без того красивое, а в том, чтобы показать то прекрасное, что другие не заметили, пройдя мимо. (Мануэль Альварес Браво)

pierre2fun

Here a crash report while trying to take a picture while filming.

https://mega.nz/#!1d1BlJCY
Cheers, Pierre
70D ML 111B

nikfreak

download link is encrypted. either share password or re-upload it without a password plz.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: pierre2fun on May 04, 2015, 08:31:16 PM
Here a crash report while trying to take a picture while filming.

https://mega.nz/#!1d1BlJCY

You need to share it WITH the key, it should give you a looong link :)

Mr.Click

"I have an issue with the Alpha 5 A build, in Playback mode the Touchscreen sometimes freezes while zooming in. I have to leave Playbackmode to get the Touchscreen working again. It doesn´t matter if Quickzoom is enabled or not. It sometimes just freezes."

Edit: I found out that this Problem only appears, after I erased a Picture during Playback Mode, after erasing, the Touchscreen gets freezed.
I now went back to the earlier ML Version ( Alpha 4b) , with this Version,the Issue is gone. It only apears with the Alpha 5 A.
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

nikfreak

@Mr. Click: great find. With that info I will surely narrow it down for the next release.  ;D

Mr.Click

Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

DaveM

@Winfel

I don't use lightroom, just PS with camera raw.  I tried it at work (older version of camera raw and on a mac) and the file opened fine.   The 70d shot looked just like the M shot with nice clean shadows and the same detailed highlights. 

I then updated camera raw on that computer and sure enough 70d shot's default exposure is now about 2.5 stops too high.  The eos m shot remains the same even though it was also created with the same cr2hdr as the 70d. 

Since the DNG seems to be ok I'm not as worried now about loosing the highlight detail.  I will just need to lower the exposure a couple stops before I start doing other edits and it should be fine.  Still I wonder what makes the 70D dual iso DNG files act differently in the latest camera raw and lightroom...

nikfreak

Quote from: DaveM on May 04, 2015, 10:35:52 PM
I then updated camera raw on that computer and sure enough 70d shot's default exposure is now about 2.5 stops too high.  The eos m shot remains the same even though it was also created with the same cr2hdr as the 70d. 

...Still I wonder what makes the 70D dual iso DNG files act differently in the latest camera raw and lightroom...

Anyone else having same experience or may verify above? I would just like to have it verified. In this case someone else with an older camera raw version would need to update to the latest version and share his/her experience with the end result. Actually I am a little bit confused with user experience. Some have no problems others do have 'em. Add to that different user scenarios like LR plugin or different cr2hdr versions (win/mac)- either downloaded from 1st post or provided by other tools. No offense to anyone.I just want to find the root cause of the reported dualiso issues because I have no clue atm what is causing them.

DaveM

Here is a file I'm having a problem with.  Maybe it will help if someone else can take a look at it can see if they can duplicate.

Here is the dual iso CR2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6ukqbs0moswhy7/IMG_3775.CR2?dl=0

Here is the converted DNG.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb3qtu1yy963zg5/IMG_3775.DNG?dl=0

I found that I have Camera Raw 7 on my laptop and 9 on my desktop, so here are the resulting jpg file with each...

Here is a jpg file converted with Camera Raw 9 with Exposure-2.  The sky is so blown out I can't get any detail in it even by lowering the exposure.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zl0hp51szgnpkgc/IMG_3775_cr9.jpg?dl=0

Here is a jpg file converted with Camera Raw 7 with shadows +100  The sky is nice, and the shadows can be lifted to show ground detail.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8lbrzvxxr67dfw/IMG_3775_cr7.jpg?dl=0

wdh3344521

hello,dear group~
I have tryed the ML on my 70d and the dual iso model.
But when I need the cr2hdr.exe I can not open the link on the first page
Download cr2hdr.exe compatible with 70D for Windows
can you offer another link of cr2hdr for windows compatible with 70d?
THX

Walter Schulz

No problem here. Try other browsers.

lolowattrelos

hello
Sorry, I do not speak English and I use an automatic translator.
Thank you very much for your work.

I have a small problem with the MLV:
MlRawViewer correctly reads the MLV but it exports DNG files do not open in photoshop CC.
I tried to convert the DNG with other software, but, like, it can not open them.

(No problem with Raw video)
I use the B version

Danne

I completed a conversion tool for converting dualiso CR2 and dng movie files. It will also work with 70D dual iso files since it uses Nikfreaks cr2hdr20bit compiled from N/A. It works multithreaded.

thread here
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg146822;topicseen#msg146822

Chele

Where can I donate?  I have looked though this thread and couldn't find it!  I would like to buy you guys at least a cup of coffee, not beer, I want you guys to stay awake for hours on end not pass out on the job:)

Danne

Of course I managed to include the wrong cr2hdr20bit binary ;). Sorry guys. Changed to the right compile and tested now. Works with dual iso files from 70D. Link again here.

dualiso_to_DNG
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg146822;topicseen#msg146822

snakec

Camera Raw 9 ( and lightroom 6 ) is not good for dual iso  :'(

Walter Schulz

Lightroom Dual ISO converter (cr2hdr) plug-in by kichetof:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11056.msg107262#msg107262
If you are using 70D files you have to replace cr2hdr executables with those linked here in this thread.

snakec

already uses the beta 3
With the cr2 to 70d

Same tuning ...

Camera Raw 8.6

Lightroom 6 or Camera raw 9