Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimbot

Great job on the 70d ML alpha 3 so far! When I was testing the new version Alpha3, I could not dial my exposure compensation on the scroll wheel on the back of my camera to increase or decrease the exposure values in A Mode.
Anyone else had that problem? on my 1980's lcd screen, it says L. I guess it's locked? I never had this problem until I installed the Alpha 3. Is there a way to unlock it?

alexoki

Apologies if this has been stated elsewhere but I cant seem to find a definitive answer. What is the maximum recording resolution in 25p in 16.9 aspect ratio (or close to 16.9) and how many seconds continuous recording.
Also anymore raw vid samples from the 70d especially showing skintones?

Abe

Quote from: alexoki on February 15, 2015, 11:12:31 AM
Apologies if this has been stated elsewhere but I cant seem to find a definitive answer. What is the maximum recording resolution in 25p in 16.9 aspect ratio (or close to 16.9) and how many seconds continuous recording.

Do a search on the forums, there are plenty of threads for these questions.
The speed should be the same as the 6D.
For example have a look at this post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.msg136347#msg136347
720p should be Ok (provided your SD-Card allows to write at 40mb or more)

FireM

Here the results after test some thinks:

I can reproduce the error after change from M to AV Mode, but the 70D have to be in Movie Mode, i didn't not remember that this happened in photo mode too. In Movie Mode it happened  every time.

60% percent of my tests it also occurred after change the Raw Resolution and Ratio from 720p to 1824x776. But Sometimes everything is ok, i don't know why? Once, i get an error from ML, but it was to short to read it. Yesterday i new install ML and until now, Magic Lantern only once had problems with starting up. After 3 times restarting the camera it never happens again.

hope it helps a bit. When i should check some thinks just tell me, so i give my best to help.

crirus

Hello

thanks for great work, nikfreak and the team working on this should have got the donation nanomad received.

I have a question: will be possible to keep the screen on while plugging in USB or HDMI?

I know DSLR Controller did this fine, is it possible to have the touch screen on for HDMI monitor too?

Thank you.
Cristian

ShootMeAlready

Plugging in to USB, keeps LCD screen display.  That is what DLSR controller app does.
Plugging into HDMI LCD goes off.  DSLR controller app does not use HDMI.
Turn Wi-Fi on, and movie mode is disabled.  DSLR controller app does not use Canon wifi.
This is all Canon s/w not magic lantern.

Perhaps wifi via usb adapter/router, I recall that TP-Link is basically a router on the usb port.
DSLR controller has its variant of the same, with some kind of stick on the usb. 
What ever you use, ensure your usb wifi device has power, because the Canon usb provides no power.

ML with a 3X loupe provides great functionality, as it enlarges ML on the LCD screen, and its more than enough to check focus.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

TomJ

Another overheat shutdown. Running vid, manual, HD. After about 15mins up-time. With a non-ML card, no overheats. I understand this is a known issue, just FYI with latest.

Just totally jazzed to have ML, I really never thought it would happen while I had the 70D, that I'd be onto another body before it was alpha even. Too cool to have it at all!!

betonven

Hello guys!

Thanks for doing these awesome things for us newbies to play with. I have a (maybe stupid) question. I had ML in my T3i Rebel, mainly becuase I wanted to use the HDR bracketing tool (I need to take as many pictures as possible with variable exposures in order to merge to hdr manually).

Now that I'm also using a 70D, I installed the alpha 3, but I cannot locate this option. Is it missing, or I am the one missing something?  :o

Thanks in advance (and really, please don't judge me, I'm as a newbie as it gets..!) :'(

walter_schulz

betonven

That's where I was looking, but I only have three options: Intervalometer, Motion detect and Shoot preferences.

Abe

Quote from: betonven on February 19, 2015, 08:13:18 AM
That's where I was looking, but I only have three options: Intervalometer, Motion detect and Shoot preferences.

Some functions are not yet present/enabled that might explain why you don't have the bracketing.
According to the Wiki, this option should be in the same menu as the Intervallometer.
Probably will have to wait for now.

betonven

I guess that should be the case, I'm just confused as I don't see that in the "not working" list in the first page. If somebody knows that for sure, please share!  :D

Also, I know I'm running off-topic, but if anybody could redirect me to a link about how to write your own script to do what HDR bracketing would do (program a series of specific exposures in terms of shutter speed variations that would be triggered with one press of the shoot button), I would totally appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!  8)

betonven

The picoC scripts operation is also not included in this version?

kubodhi

Girlfriend just picked up a SL1 and I saw that nikfreak had replied on that forum with interest in possibly working on that port after the 70D.  Super happy that there's been progress here on the 70D.  Is there anything specifically that the community can help with as far as current roadblocks, data collection needs, etc?
550D->70D.111A, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, YongNuo YN-468 II E-TTL Speedlite With LCD

Mr.Click

Is there a posibility to activate AF Field Expansion and Spot AF with ML? This are 7D Features, which I hope, are may be only not activated by Original Firmware from Canon.
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

bben83

Tank you so much for your job !

Overlays
-Zebras: ____Not tested
-Focus Peak: ____Not tested
-MagicZoom: ____Not tested
Movie
-BitRate: ____Not tested
-FPS Override: ____ Not tested
Shoot
-Intervalometer: ____OK
-Motion Detect: ____not OK (Only works in exposition detection mode, Frame difference is not OK)
Included Modules
- Raw_rec: ____Not tested
- autoexpo: ____Not tested
Other issues:

craiggbrown

Hello, I just bought a 70D and I followed the instructions to install ML to the tee and it did not work for me. I don't get the boot-disk displayed on screen. Is there any other way to get this to work? I guess I have unqualified cam. Any idea of what people like me can do?

UWP

Hi there!

I had a 650D for some years now, but the image-counter crossed the 200k line so I was thinking about a new cam. Before my decision I read about 70D development was starting so I bought a 70D. And yes: it works! Great job, it was even easier than the start procedure on the 650D! I know it's an alpha release. But maybe there's time for wishes? What I mostly do is bracketing & dual ISO. I couldn't find both of'em in the February Alpha 3 release, so I guess, it's in the pipe on a later date? If it gets faster, I'm willing to test it for bug fixing! Of course the other stuff is nice too, but I normally shoot HDR pics, MagicLantern's got specific stuff for all of us. Or are the bracketing menus hidden somewhere? And the dual ISO image stuff? At least I couldn't find it...

Anyway: great work, I haven't seen any problems yet while playing around with it! Strange: the module for integrated picture view in the filemanager cannot handle jpegs? When I try to view them, I only get the binary code of the JPEG on the screen. The docs don't mention JPG, only the raw formats. Why? I tought JPEG should be easiest?

I'm really excited what will come! Haha, in some stores they try to convince me to Nikon or Sony. I told them, I'll switch if they got similar features like MagicLantern. Almost every vendor did know about MagicLantern and they haven't been amused. Canon should spent money in this project, it seems they get a alot of "side money" from this here!

Thanx very much for this exciting tool!

UWP
EOS 550D | EOS 650D | EOS 70D
Software: MagicLantern & Luminance-HDR & Gimp

vfero

@betonven : I've asked this about advanced bracketing and i had no answer. I guess only time will tell...

Vince

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: craiggbrown on February 24, 2015, 11:02:18 PM
Hello, I just bought a 70D and I followed the instructions to install ML to the tee and it did not work for me. I don't get the boot-disk displayed on screen. Is there any other way to get this to work? I guess I have unqualified cam. Any idea of what people like me can do?

Wait just like some of us do... which is nice!  ;D
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

tr3m0bil

Hi,

I'm one of the early adopters of the 70D (septembre 2013) and I'm (not so patientely) waiting to be able to test it. Any date for a compatible version ?

Tr3

nikfreak

Quote from: UWP on February 25, 2015, 12:42:36 AM
....bracketing & dual ISO......so I guess, it's in the pipe on a later date?

Yes, exactly. I did some first tests indoors and posted 'em to the appropriate topic:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7402.msg140471#msg140471

Quote from: tr3m0bil on February 25, 2015, 07:57:13 AM
I'm one of the early adopters of the 70D (septembre 2013) and I'm (not so patientely) waiting to be able to test it. Any date for a compatible version ?

It's done when it's done. First let's get the one in my hands somewhat stable and afterwards I will do it blindly for the early adopters...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

tr3m0bil

Thanks for your answer. It was just to know if you have a forecast to release it. We are some waiting to be able to provide you valuable feedback.

Thanks for your work

nikfreak

I already spent several hours and prepared to blindly maintain it but there will be no release until I feel we are ready to do so:

https://bitbucket.org/nikfreak/magic-lantern/src/e0db13d113dbe5f35c10b7b3fe5e659cb6a6cdfa/platform/unmaintained/70D_SLAVE.111/?at=unified-70D
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

UWP

Quote from: nikfreak on February 25, 2015, 08:57:26 AM
Yes, exactly. I did some first tests indoors and posted 'em to the appropriate topic:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7402.msg140471#msg140471

Quite impressive! Is it in your "unmaintained" version? And: only the dual ISO or bracketing too?

Thanx!

UWP
EOS 550D | EOS 650D | EOS 70D
Software: MagicLantern & Luminance-HDR & Gimp