Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canniballissimo

pkrskr, this feature is available even with the application EOS Remote. There you can control the focus directly from your phone

walter_schulz

And for those deep, deep, deep into DFF motor driven macro rails (like StackShot) may be an option. Because they will work with non-AF lenses (MP-E 65), retro mounts and bellows, too.

Siedst

Hello everybody!
There is something confusing me about ML RAW video, and I don't know if its a known problem or a 70D issue.
The RAW video footage is always underexposed by 2/3 EV compared to the RAW.CR2-file.
When I press the shutter after making a raw video, with the exact same settings,
and I compare a DNG-file from the video with the CR2-file from the picture, than they have not the same exposure.

I know that ML raw is only working with ISO 100, 200, 400..

After some tests, I know that shutter-speed and aperture are not changing.
Aperture would change DOF and vignette. Shutter would result in flickering.

So I made a test with ISO100, aperture 22 (maximum) and shutter at 1/4000. It's not possible to get a darker picture in video mode.
And... the same... the ML raw dng-file is underexposed by 2/3 EV compared to the RAW.CR2-file.

How is it possible? Does ML RAW works with < 100 ISO ? Or is it a bug?

a1ex

Canon's LiveView implementation uses a slightly lower ISO, compared to photo mode. The exposure is controlled by Canon code, not by ML.

Some measurements on other cameras: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg123221#msg123221

To get the same info for 70D, just run these tests: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg117955#msg117955

Siedst

OK, there is different ISO for photo and video mode. Video uses lower ISO.

But why is the ML RAW footage also underexposed by 2/3 EV compared to the H264 video?
I tested all picture profiles with same exposure setting as the RAW video.
Both is video mode, right?

Also RAW-Histogram and RAW-Zebra show some overexposure/clipping. The final raw footage isn't overexposed.

a1ex

When you develop a raw image, you can choose to clip some highlights (which simply results in a higher ISO). Why Canon chose to do so, you should ask them. I'm not a Canon engineer, so can't answer this one.

Another hypothesis: you might be confused by the highlight recovery applied by most raw processors. Canon doesn't apply any. The result is that your raw image has more highlight detail, and because of this, you called it "underexposed".

BTW - how exactly did you measure a 2/3-stop difference between a RAW (linear) image and a H.264 (nonlinear) one?

About zebra overexposure - you are the tester, so you need to upload some sample images showing the problem. Most likely, the white level assumed by ML might be lower than the real one. Your job is to find the correct value.

Siedst

Maybe it's all my fault and I am to dumb.

I noticed that all ML RAW footage was "to dark" compared to h264 video and photo RAW with same exposure settings.
I process RAW via Adobe Camera RAW with standard curve. (maybe this curve is the problem)
I think the Adobe Standard Curve is compareable with the Canon Picture Profiles.
Of course, each curve looks different, but they shouldn't result in a completely different exposure.

When i speak about 2/3 EV underexposure, I mean there is a overall shift about a 2/3-stop.
I measured it via a graycard, histogramm, and my eyes ;). Not scientific!

Here is a link with 2 pictures. Tomorrow i will do a better test.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lwcx999p30gkkw9/AAAHgbCqpNbK1eok0CqmvMjLa?dl=0

Bai_Niki

It doesnt work. My 70D is exact 1 Year old (it was bought from notebooksbiliger.de last February), perhaps is the old Version. I"ll wait, but nevertheless thank you :)

a1ex

Two issues with this approach:

1) ISO is not defined from overall brightness, but from the clipping point (so you should compare how many highlights get clipped)
2) the curves may not be comparable directly, unless you know them (and with closed-source image processors it's a little harder)

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/ISO_Dynamic_range.pdf
http://www.dxomark.com/About/In-depth-measurements/Measurements/ISO-sensitivity

See also http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12835.msg124226#msg124226

In any case, this is not a bug.

Guitarshredder1

RAW video captures the image straight from individual pixels on the cameras sensor. What you see in LiveView is canon's rendition based off of in camera settings, RAW removes these settings and writes the straight pixel data to a .RAW file. When you convert it, it will seem dark and flat until you color correct it. I might not understand your issue, but it may just be that LiveView shows a brighter (not underexposed) rendition, whereas the sensor is actually darker/possibly underexposed.

JPP

Hey Guys, quick question.

I tried searching for a solution but I didn't find anything. Sorry if this came up before;

When I'm trying to record RAW video an error message appears after 4 seconds: "Early stop (11). Didn't make it to estimated record time."

Anyone knows what the problem might be ?

I'm using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB btw.

Thanks in advance !!!

Abe

Quote from: JPP on February 05, 2015, 02:15:16 PM
Hey Guys, quick question.

I tried searching for a solution but I didn't find anything. Sorry if this came up before;

When I'm trying to record RAW video an error message appears after 4 seconds: "Early stop (11). Didn't make it to estimated record time."

Anyone knows what the problem might be ?

I'm using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB btw.

Thanks in advance !!!

Did you check the resolution you're shooting at?

Guitarshredder1

It depends on your recording settings, if the raw is above 720p in 16:9 or 1560p in 2.39:1, it overloads the cache memory, or the buffer.

JPP

Quote from: Abe on February 05, 2015, 02:46:11 PM
Did you check the resolution you're shooting at?

Hey, yes I did. Currently I'm shooting at 1824 x 1026. That's the highest the camera would go.

Quote from: Guitarshredder1 on February 05, 2015, 02:46:42 PM
It depends on your recording settings, if the raw is above 720p in 16:9 or 1560p in 2.39:1, it overloads the cache memory, or the buffer.

That's probably my problem then... what resolution should I choose to shoot longer than a few seconds ?

Sorry for all these beginner questions, I'm just getting started with the whole ML+RAW thing and although I'm reading and learning a lot, it's quite overwhelming at times :)

Thanks for the help!!

Piggy

Quote from: JPP on February 05, 2015, 03:16:35 PM
Hey, yes I did. Currently I'm shooting at 1824 x 1026. That's the highest the camera would go.

That's probably my problem then... what resolution should I choose to shoot longer than a few seconds ?

Sorry for all these beginner questions, I'm just getting started with the whole ML+RAW thing and although I'm reading and learning a lot, it's quite overwhelming at times :)

Thanks for the help!!

He basically told you what res to use...

720p in 16:9 or 1560p in 2.39:1

JPP

Quote from: Piggy on February 05, 2015, 04:20:46 PM
He basically told you what res to use...

720p in 16:9 or 1560p in 2.39:1

Yeah, I realised that after a while, I can be slow sometimes... :P
Thanks for the help!

Matheus

Tried on my camera yesterday. No success :(

October 2013 model...
Cams: Canon 70D (70D.111B)
Lens: EF-S18-135mm f3.5-5.6STM, Sigma UC 70-210mm f4-5.6, Helios 44M4-MC 58mm f2
Audio: Zoom H4n + Rode Videomic Pro

JohnnyG_71

For those of you (us) with earlier serial numbers, that are anxiously and graciously waiting for ML to become available, I may have a temporary alternative, depending on your needs. 

DSLR Controller is an Android App that does some of the features found within ML.  You can connect your 70D to your Android Device via a USB OTG cable or via Wi-Fi. 

http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Note: I am not affiliated in any way with Chainfire or J.B. Jongma Holding B.V.
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

Torios

Only for participants of this forum. Free of charge. Š•njoy))

edit bij moderator:
--- Please do not post pirated software----

c4v3man

Just wanted to say that if you can afford a $200-600 phone, and a $1000+ camera, paying $8 to support an app developer isn't that much to ask.

That being said, I've found Wi-Fi on my 70D to be fiddly... I'll usually have to switch to a different set of connection settings on the 70d, then back to the set I'm trying to use, in order to get the camera to accept the connection. Not sure if it's the goofy permissions system on the camera possibly acting as a firewall, but I can oftentimes see the camera on the network (with a network scan), but am unable to connect to it using the app until I toggle to a different set then back.

Also keep in mind you'll need to use a different set of parameters on the camera when you use DSLRController as opposed to EOS Remote, since apparently the permissions system is bound to an app, not to a device. Since you can have 3 sets of settings on the camera (per connection mode) it's not too much hassle, just something to keep in mind.

bsauce42

You can also try dslrdashboard for iOS, android, apple window and Linux. The iOS version is Wi-Fi only.  Both great apps.

(iOS) qDslrDashboard by Zoltan Hubai
https://appsto.re/us/K75z2.i

Info http://dslrdashboard.info/

ar.pictures

Hi , in My 70D after Update ( Installing ML ) Nothing hapening !  :(
i Did evry things , but not installing..

Is it About Revisions?

HELP plz
::AR Pictures::

Audionut

Ozyozers

You guys are doing great job, can't wait to use ML in my 70D
Very much appreciated!

PanzerMamba

I've installed ML Alpha2 on my 70D, and it's working, but there is a little problem with raw recording.
I have kingston with 80MB/s writing speed, and nevertheless camera won't save more than 3-4 seconds of raw dng material.
I have tried 2.35:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios, 1600x900 (should be 30 seconds, was 3 sec.) or 1270x720 (should be continuous, was only about 10 sec.)
This SD card is two times faster than buffer, so where is the problem?

On another:

Why during recording 1270x720 image is cropped? Theres only way to record with that res.?