Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grey

Hi to all. I'm just install ML on my 70D. The installation was not according to instruction. You might assume that after shooting should go view the captured frame. But many people have autoreview off. And while I myself have not pressed a play key the message about the successful activation of the boot loader did not appear.

I buy 70D in July 2014. Just for statistics.

Raw video + continuous AF is excellent pair.
Thank to all ML development group for your work.

And sorry for my bad English.  :)

Piggy

Overlays
-Zebras: NOT OK They flicker on and off when autofocusing
-Focus Peak: NOT OK Same issue as zebras
-MagicZoom: ____
-Cropmarks: OKBut sometimes canon modules pop up and overlay on top of it
-Ghost Image: ____
-Spotmeter: ____
-False Color: ____
-Histogram: OK
-Waveform: OK
-Vectorscope: ____
Movie
-BitRate: NOT OK
-REC Key: OK
-Gradual Exposure: ____
-FPS Override: Not availbale with Alpha0
-HDR Video: NOT OK
-Vignetting: ____
-Image Finetuning: ____
-Movie Tweaks: OK
Shoot
-Intervalometer: OK
-Motion Detect: OK
-Shoot Preferences: ____
Included Modules
- Raw_rec: OK, but stops recording at 10 secs with a 95 MB/s Sandisk
- ettr: ____
- autoexpo: ____
Other issues:
Seems like anything that overlays over liveview, and the image affects the output (Zebras, Focus Peaking, etc) flashes when autofocusing

CorentinF

Hi, i've just installed ML alpha1 succesfully following the video :)

Review

Overlays
-Zebras: Works fine.
-Focus Peak: Works fine.
-MagicZoom: Nothing when active :/
-Cropmarks: Works fine
-Spotmeter: Works fine
-False Color: Works fine
-Histogram: Works fine
-Waveform: Works fine
-Vectorscope: Works fine
Movie
-BitRate: Do nothing (no change in the file)
-REC Key: Working
-Gradual Exposure: Don't really know what it supposed to do, see no change
-FPS Override: Not availbale with Alpha0
-HDR Video: Working
-Vignetting: ____
-Image Finetuning: Working
-Movie Tweaks: Working
Shoot
-Intervalometer: ____
-Motion Detect: ____
-Shoot Preferences: ____
Included Modules
- Raw_rec: ____
- ettr: ____
- autoexpo: ____
Other issues:
- Known but still : The ML menu is closing after a few seconds
- Internal temperature growing super fast, 76°C in about 10 minutes...

I will try raw rec soon.

Piggy

Quote from: CorentinF on January 27, 2015, 08:33:31 PM
Other issues:
- Knows but still : The ML menu is closing after a few seconds
- Internal temperature growing super fast, 76°C in about 10 minutes...

I will try raw rec soon.

Forgot to include this, the temperature on my camera also rises extremely fast, goes from 20°C to 49°C in a few mins

TomJ

QuoteForgot to include this, the temperature on my camera also rises extremely fast, goes from 20°C to 49°C in a few mins

Ditto here. Had an overheat shutdown using ML this weekend. Flashbacks to using the 7D in India some years ago and having to force cool it...

nikfreak

As announced here I uploaded a new build for you to test. Once I get some positive feedback I will update the first post, too.

What to expect with the next alpha:
- Indeed temperatures were too high. It will decrease now by ~10°. will be much better
- Focus confirmation is fixed
- Quickzoom had been reported to not work. it will work now (didn't try myself until now so no clue if the reported bug was ok)
- Magic Zoom behaviour should be ok now (had been reported that buttons don't work as expected)
- You will get hardcoded fps 23.98xx (24 will be 24 instead of 21.xxx and so on) but still no fps-override
- No audio features in next build
- Overall stability

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Mu66yg5QzRUHNReFN4RmdYVEU/view?usp=sharing
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Abe

Quote from: nikfreak on January 28, 2015, 09:45:01 AM
As announced here I uploaded a new build for you to test. Once I get some positive feedback I will update the first post, too.

Thanks nikfreak for the update.

Just installed it and did some tests (Format Card + Q to remove previous ML first )

Overlays:
-Zebras: OK
-Focus Peak: OK
-MagicZoom: OK (Still not displaying the green bars. Also switched to split screen, same issue, does not confirms the focus. Both on Autofocus and Manual Focus. I don't know if issue could be lens-specific since I did not try with another lens.)
-Cropmarks: OK
-Spotmeter: OK
-False Color: OK
-Histogram: OK (For some reason, the simplified histogram did not work. Only the full one works)
-Waveform: OK
-Vectorscope: OK

The other categories were not deeply tested, same results as everybody else here.

Other:
- Temperature seems to be a bit better, although I did not shoot that much. Some clips here and there. Got 60° after 6-7 minutes.
- Exporting .RAW to DNG via Raw2cdng now shows the correct FPS: 23.978 (Previously was 22 FPS with Alpha 1)
- QuickZoom works now for the 100% scale. When changing to "zoom to autofocus point", still acts as a 100% zoom, not on autofocus point.
- The famous bug with the ML menu quitting after few seconds seems to happen a bit faster than on Alpha 1 (that's my feeling, but will wait for other's confirmation. Anyway, not a big deal)

PS:
At some point, I went to format the card and wanted to keep ML on it (using the Q button while in the format menu).
I specifically chose the "Keep ML" and it format+removed ML.
Kind of a bug, I don't know, but at least people who wants to remove completely ML knows that it works perfectly ;p

Thanks nikfreak for all the efforts.

nikfreak

Quote from: Abe on January 28, 2015, 12:51:27 PM
At some point, I went to format the card and wanted to keep ML on it (using the Q button while in the format menu).
I specifically chose the "Keep ML" and it format+removed ML.
Kind of a bug, I don't know, but at least people who wants to remove completely ML knows that it works perfectly ;p

Thanks nikfreak for all the efforts.

Yeah y'all need to wait until I add this. Shouldn't be a dealbreaker but that will solve all quirks with restoring / formatting

camslide

Hey guys!
Is it possible to access the wifi settings through ML? Especially I would be interested if it is possible to have more than 3 sets for mobile phone access... I'm using 2 different apps on 2 devices (Tablet, Smartphone) This would require 4 profiles if I would go for direct wifi connection. However, at home I would like to use it in my home wifi to have Internet access on my devices while beeing connected to the camera -> 8 profiles. It's pretty annoying to only have 3.
I know, this is low priority but would be a nice feature.
70D.112

nikfreak

just updated the first post with the new download link, too

tuxfoto

Hi nikfreak,

THANKS FOR YOUR EXCELLENT WORK!!!

For Alpha2 you can change the Changelog?
What is new?

Thank You

Makadamia

Canon EOS 70D, 500D, PowerShot S95

tuxfoto

Mr.Click

Thank You very much Nikfreak !  Quickzoom is working fine now ! And thank´s for Dot Tune  :)
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

TomJ

BTW, Nikfreak and other dev's, if you're ever in the Denver or Boulder area, shout me up, drinks on me for finally getting this rolling.

I may post probs with ML, but it's not complaining, I'm actually ecstatic just to have something running after drooling for over a year about it!! YEEHAWW!!!!

true

what is the sense to release new versions, if half of the cameras do not support this firmware? :-\
70D+Alpha5 release for 70D_111B  SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM  Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II  TAMRON SP 70-300mm F/4.0-5.6 Di VC USD

Walter Schulz

Debugging the port. That's what is done right now.
No, it's not just "take the working code from another cam, change 2 software settings and the port is done".

nikfreak

Quote from: Mr.Click on January 28, 2015, 08:14:49 PM
Thank You very much Nikfreak !  Quickzoom is working fine now ! And thank´s for Dot Tune  :)

hey Mr. Click,

dot tune works fine here with properties enabled. Didn't test with properties disabled which is the case for Alpha2. In theory it shouldn't write values back to Canon menu with Alpha2. Maybe you got lucky and it will work w/o writing values but show the correct afma settings so you can set them manually. Is this fact for you?  In general I think a lot of people will be happy to use it cause the 70D has been somewhat discussed about afma problems on different forums.... Now they will get an automated way to run it as often and as fast as possible. :D

carlos787

8) thanks again nikfreak, great work!!!

Initially had some small issues with recording but with a little research everything is working fine!!!

I'm new to magic lantern and DSLRs but this hack is the bomb!!!
already installed alpha 2

little video just to see detail and quality, recorded with alpha 1.
http://youtu.be/tsdn8URZmAY

let me know what you think..

Glassed

Congrats on the Alpha 2 Release !, looks like the port is growing fast ! :D

Any news on the support for early 2014 70D`s ?

The raw video may be lower res, but certainly looks awesome!

OlRivrRat

"what is the sense to release new versions, if half of the cameras do not support this firmware?"

True ~ ChillOut

It makes HugeSense ~ It's a MonumentalTask for NikFreak&Friends to do what they are doing for us on Just 1 FirmwareIteration ~

If they had 2 F'W's & 2 Sets of BugReports from AllOfUs to DealWith it Could QuiteConceivably get MonumentallyConfusing ~

Just think how nice it's going to be Once ItIsOurTurn ~ The OtherGuy MayHaveAlready Found AllTheBugs ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

deusex1

Thanks for your efforts, nikfreak, you are actually making a difference in the filmmaking community! We owe you!

Mr.Click

I tried Dot Tune, ist doesn´t work. It starts and then stops after 2 Seconds with a note saying " canceled by user" 
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

theamazingaustin

New here, and just want to say HUGE thanks to the devs working on the 70D. So stoked and looking forward to a stable / beta build!

Quick question for y'all, is / will 1080p @ 60fps be possible with ML on the 70D? SO sorry if this was asked / there is an obvious answer, search didn't turn up anything that I could see.

Thanks guys!

Piggy

Quote from: theamazingaustin on January 30, 2015, 02:31:03 AM
New here, and just want to say HUGE thanks to the devs working on the 70D. So stoked and looking forward to a stable / beta build!

Quick question for y'all, is / will 1080p @ 60fps be possible with ML on the 70D? SO sorry if this was asked / there is an obvious answer, search didn't turn up anything that I could see.

Thanks guys!

As of right now, no, it barely works @ 960p at 21 frames a sec, it will only record for 10 seconds +/-