Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorentinF

Hi everyone !

I currently has a 70D and I want to buy a new SD card for making raw video. Just wondering the debit needed (in Mo/s) for shooting at 1600x900 24fps ? Thank you guys !

Another question (valid on every ML version), if you success to record raw video and change the fps rate, the video size, the debit in H264. Isn't possible to take 1080p 60fps or 1440p video ? The captor, buffer, card speed and even processor are enough to do it no ?

Good luck with the developement ! Can't wait a stable version :)

walter_schulz

Data rate required (Continuous in RAW/MLV mode) = Vertical pixel/resolution * horizontal resolution * frame rate * 14 / 8
1600 * 900 * 24 * 14 / 8 = 60,480,000 Bytes/s -> 57,7 MByte/s
Maximum bandwidth for SD-card interface in 70D: About 41 MByte/s.

DigitalVeil

Quote from: CorentinF on January 23, 2015, 03:18:21 PM

Another question (valid on every ML version), if you success to record raw video and change the fps rate, the video size, the debit in H264. Isn't possible to take 1080p 60fps or 1440p video ? The captor, buffer, card speed and even processor are enough to do it no ?

No.  http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#troll_questions

There's a hardware limitation and a long technical explanation that isn't worth typing out.  Trust us, it's been tried and it's just not possible.

Please read the FAQ and guides and use the forum search tool before posting questions, you'd be surprised how often a question has already been answered elsewhere.

Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

jhon_wane

From my own research and from answers in this post,
I understand that 45 Mb/s card (such as sundisk extreme) will be enough for the 70D raw video.
m i right?
I have tried looking in other posts and I'm still not sure.
Some guys told that 95Mb/s is better, but its beyond camera capabilities so i don't understand how.

I'm really think that nikfreak and all others ML developers should get percentages from Sandisk selling of SD cards.
Thanks guys.

offshore

on my 70D don't work!  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ hope in a better future!
Canon EOS 70D Firm 1.1.2 Canon 70/300 Canon 17/85 Sigma 17/50 Sigma 10/20
ML Beta 4A

draco

If the card has a minimum write speed over 45 MB/s it should be fine problem is card specs are normally overrated

ukmdb

Whoo Hoo!! I am a lucky one.
Just one obvious point I would like to point out. Well 2 actually.

1. I used a after market battery that is not recorgnised in camera. ML would not give me the OK.
I swapped it out for an official battery (guess as long as it is readable by canon any battery would be ok) I then got the smily face and all good to go.

2. The point about making sure your in the info screen was also important for me. I couldn't get the OK. So I thought which info screen? (pressing inf button gives several optional screens) It had to be on the screen where you can change WB and Colour temp. etc.
For some reason as soon as I tried again while on this screen all worked.

Now for testing..
If anyone got any specific requests I am happy to test and answer. My main requirement is continuous recording. So that is the first thing I shall be trying (how long can i record before it stops)

ubermood

I second that.. For me (as first-time user of ML), it was a little bit unclear which infoscreen was meant, since there are several to choose from.

Apart from that, ML works OK for me. Since it's my first time using ML I'm not sure how all functions should work, so I don't feel comfortable reporting back which are working correctly and not..

My personal overall impression is that it feels a little bit flumsy and clumpsy. Like having Frankenstein living in my camera. Magic zoom for example flickers when pressning shutter halfway to focus, or when selecting any other size of the zoombox but "medium" distorts the aspect ratio of the zoomed in image.. Flickering here and there.. In liveliew my f/value does not update when changed.. I can't see which shutterspeed I have etc etc.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure it should be like this or if it's just because it's still alpha(1).. so I'll sit here quietely and just watch the progress. 8)

PanzerMamba

Could someone share for download raw RAW file directly from sd card, recorded by ML alpha and canon 70D. I would be greatful ;) And I suppose not only me  8)

Twentytwo

Hi guys, i have 64GB SD card, write speed 80mb/s and when i record in RAW , video early stop. sometimes 5 seconds , sometimes 27 seconds. Other card (45mb/s) other times.  please, WHY?

Walter Schulz

You won't bother to tell which settings you used?

Twentytwo

1504x392 , Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
f4.0 / 1/70 / ISO 1600 /53...9 FPS

64GB card 80mb/s - 13 seconds
32GB card 45mb/s - 13 seconds

1280x334 Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
f4.0 / 1/70 / ISO 1600 / 53...9 FPS

64GB card 80mb/s - 54-55 seconds
32GB card 45mb/s - 54 seconds

1280x544 Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
f4.0 / 1/70 / ISO 1600 / 26,9 FPS

64GB card 80mb/s - 4:00 up - without early stop
32GB card 45mb/s - 2:10 up  - without early stop

Walter Schulz

You tested 1504x392 with 9 to 53 fps and recording stopped after 13 seconds? Frame rate just doesn't matter?
First post tells fps override is not available ...

Don't touch fps settings. Just use defaults.
Different results now?

Twentytwo

Walter Schulz

Was this setting changed by you or was it just the value displayed by ML? If second: Was this the actual frame rate?

If it was the actual frame rate:
Bandwidth = Vertical resolution * horizontal resolution * frame rate * 14 / 8
1504 * 392 * 59.3 * 14 / 8 = 61,182,419.2 -> 58.4 MByte/s
SD-card interface bandwidth is about 41 MByte/s

nikfreak

unfortuantely I am not able to share a more advanced release with you. We are going to test some more alphas. I will share the next link soon. Still most features like full resolution silent pictures or dot-tune won't be available for you. They work but only for me atm because they require properties enabled. First i need more feedback from you and have to solve some quirks like ASIF crashing, FPS-override and some other smallies.

What to expect with the next alpha:
- Indeed temperatures were too high. It will decrease now by 10°. will be much better
- Focus confirmation is fixed
- Quickzoom had been reported to not work. it will work now (didn't try myself until now so no clue if the reported bug was ok)
- Magic Zoom behaviour should be ok now (had been reported that buttons don't work as expected)
- You will get hardcoded fps (24 will be 24 instead of 21.xxx and so on) but still no fps-override
- No audio features in next build
- Overall stability

That's all for now...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Abe

Thanks nikfreak for the efforts so far.

DeafEyeJedi

That's still great news @nikfreak -- thanks for keeping this development up to speed!

*cheers*
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Abe

Guys, don't want to deviate the thread but to answer @TwentyTwo, here are the speeds I'm getting with the Alpha 1:

Sandisk Extreme Pro 16Gb here:
F2.8, 800 ISO (it was at night ), 1/50 shutter speed

1600 x 600, 2:66 Aspect Ratio, Continuous
1600 x 680, 2:35 Aspect Ratio, 1832 frames (35 seconds)
1728 x 736, 2:35 Aspect Ratio, 560 frames (26 seconds)

Did not test any other Aspect Ratio as of now.

deusex1

Hi guys. I want to also report, that after tweaking the MP menus around 5-10 minutes, I felt my camera hot in my hand, when I looked to the temp counter it was 80 degrees. That is too hot. I see the next update will alleviate tis problem to some extent, but I wonder, why is it happening? What is the ML menu doing? It is not like it is recording video during the menu operations?

DigitalVeil

Quote from: deusex1 on January 24, 2015, 09:29:06 PM
Hi guys. I want to also report, that after tweaking the MP menus around 5-10 minutes, I felt my camera hot in my hand, when I looked to the temp counter it was 80 degrees. That is too hot. I see the next update will alleviate tis problem to some extent, but I wonder, why is it happening? What is the ML menu doing? It is not like it is recording video during the menu operations?

It's not actually 80 degrees, ML is reporting the wrong temperature.  It's being fixed to report the real temperature.  I think the 70D just runs hotter than other cameras, mine would get just as warm to touch even before ML, ML is not making it hotter.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

deusex1

Anyone knows what is the proper way to uninstal ML alpha? I've formatted the SD card, but camera sometimes has problems starting up. If I remove the SD card and put it back again, the camera does not start. Need to remove battery in order to start.

Abe

Quote from: deusex1 on January 24, 2015, 11:46:16 PM
Anyone knows what is the proper way to uninstal ML alpha? I've formatted the SD card, but camera sometimes has problems starting up. If I remove the SD card and put it back again, the camera does not start. Need to remove battery in order to start.

You can go to the firmware tab of your canon menu, press OK and then follow the instructions. At some point, you should have clear understanding of what to do. Also please search the forum as there is a thread regarding this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2569.0

I'm not sure if it will apply to the alpha 1, or if that is doable as of now but at least you can have a look.

Walter Schulz

My opinion: I wouldn't even try to reset cam's bootflag in this state of development! Not until a free pass is given by devs.

Formating the card using a cardreader should be enough to stop ML from loading. You may check if the card is bootable by EOScard/Macboot. Those tools are able to remove such settings from the card, too.

@nikfreak: Your initial post doesn't discuss bootflag issues and doesn't include an uninstallation section. Would you mind adding some info about it?

deusex1

Yes apparently the bootflag got stuck in my camera, even though I formatted the card. At this alpha state, there is no menu instructions to un-install ML. My camera had the same issues reported by that thread you pointed out - 3sec boot time (very slow) and after the SD card is removed, the camera gets non responsive/bricked until the battery goes out and in again.

Now very unexpectedly the camera fixed itself! How? No idea! It was in that "bricked" state with the power switch set to "on", but still non responsive. I left it on my desk and after 2-3 minutes it just switched on by itself. After that, there are no more of the stated above problems. Is it possible, that Canon has some fail-safe function and cleans its bootflags / reinstalls factory firmware if problems are detected?