Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootMeAlready

The serial number preventing loading is just one more bug - a priority 1 bug no doubt.
As for concerns about mass bricking if its fixed, well it doesn't look like the build when loaded bricks so its a not an issue.
Let's just hope Nik can fix the serial number loading, to bring more testers on board.
Cheers Nik.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

nikfreak

Just read the 1st post, accept what is written there and plz stop posting any serial numbers. They don't matter.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

sepers

Hi there,

I believe the 'audio menu' (audio monitoring option via USB) isn't part of this Alpha-release?
I was wondering when I can expect it....  ;D

Greetings,

Matthijs

kaidian

Thanks for the Alpha1, well done so far.

Installation OK but noticed processor temperature rising steadily while interfacing with ML menus (not recording video). I switched off camera as it became hot at 75 degrees. I then installed a card without ML after cool down and worked with the camera for a while without the same temp rise as before. Anyone noticing the same issue?

Functions are OK as per last full list posted but will continue checking.

Walter Schulz

About those temperature displayed. Please shoot a standard RAW/JPEG when temperature is up 70 or higher. Check temperature entry in RAW/JPEG and report.
Background: There are some cams having a gap between both numbers. Seems to be established there are different sensors used by ML and Canon (written to EXIF).
See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9673.0

kaidian

Thanks Walter

My post was less to do with the temperature readout and its accuracy but more to do with the fact the the camera was getting hotter in my hand just going through ML menus for a 5 minute period, no images or video were shot. This does not happen with a non ML card while working with the camera for a 5 minute period. Its worth getting feedback on this from others who are testing the Alpha1.

Kauf

Building off of Walter's response (and his included link), since the temp is captured by Canon in the EXIF, you can also use this to determine if the camera is getting hotter with ML than without. You can use shooting video to get the camera heated up (if you think necessary) and press the shutter to capture a still with the temp in its EXIF. As Walter points out, ML developers have used this to aid ML's calculation of temp, but it can also be used to do rough comparisons between ML and non-ML if you suspect a significant difference.

Abe

Newbie here, only tested very few things.

Overlays
    -Zebras: ____OK
    -Focus Peak: ____OK
    -MagicZoom: ____OK (Works with "Always ON" only and does not show the green bars even if in focus.)
    -Cropmarks: ____OK
    -Ghost Image: ____
    -Spotmeter: ____OK
    -False Color: ____OK
    -Histogram: ____OK
    -Waveform: ____OK
    -Vectorscope: ____OK
    Movie
    -BitRate: ____
    -REC Key: ____
    -Gradual Exposure: ____NOT OK
    -FPS Override: Not availbale with Alpha0
    -HDR Video: ____NOT OK
    -Vignetting: ____
    -Image Finetuning: ____
    -Movie Tweaks: ____OK
    Shoot
    -Intervalometer: ____
    -Motion Detect: ____
    -Shoot Preferences: ____
    Included Modules
    - Raw_rec: ____OK
    - ettr: ____
    - autoexpo: ____
    Other issues:

Mainly Used the Raw_rec codec shooting in 1728*736 (aspect 2.35:1). The 720p shoots continuous, and I got around 17-20sec with the 1728*736.

Huge thanks for all your efforts guys.

saeed2vfx

Hi,

I can confirm mine does not work after following the steps.

Possible reason is mine is the old 70D, bought in December 2013 with serial number of 028#########.

The camera says Firmware update program, loading... and immediately reboots with Sensor Cleaning and nothing happens. No activity on the red LED too.

Will wait for an update :)

Thanks alot nikfreak for your effort

(copy / paste & change serial)

carlos787

Saludos,
Great work nikfreak!!!! 70d bought in Dec 2014 and works like a charm. Been using 1280x720 for a few secs only but the raw image in post is cake for color grading. Looking forward to the next update.
Keep up the good workssss. 8)

Felipe

650D-700D

fever003

Quote from: saeed2vfx on January 21, 2015, 08:23:48 PM
Hi,

I can confirm mine does not work after following the steps.

Possible reason is mine is the old 70D, bought in December 2013 with serial number of 028#########.

The camera says Firmware update program, loading... and immediately reboots with Sensor Cleaning and nothing happens. No activity on the red LED too.

Will wait for an update :)

Thanks alot nikfreak for your effort

Whutt?? U copied my post, haha. Well, looks like we are on the same page.  Will wait for the team to update, no pressure on nik and the team :)

saeed2vfx

QuoteWhutt?? U copied my post, haha. Well, looks like we are on the same page.  Will wait for the team to update, no pressure on nik and the team :)

ha ha, yeah. because my english is very low.

sorry fever003 :D

OlRivrRat

Darn saeed2vfx ~ I was hoping this was a way you had found to solve the "No ML on older 70Ds" issue ~  {:-)
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

70D jonathan

Hi..
I follow your step but put the firmware update button(update "yes") suddenly my 70D cleaning sensor... -_ -;; and go back..

:-[ ..  my 70D number 038XXXXXXXXX.. , use transcend 16Gb X600 Sdcard(format fat32 in Imac)
I don't know my fault.. T,, T
please help me.. want use ML..
I wait your answer

Thank you! ^^

erno

Quote from: 70D jonathan on January 22, 2015, 06:57:46 PM
Hi..
I follow your step but put the firmware update button(update "yes") suddenly my 70D cleaning sensor... -_ -;; and go back..

:-[ ..  my 70D number 038XXXXXXXXX.. , use transcend 16Gb X600 Sdcard(format fat32 in Imac)
I don't know my fault.. T,, T
please help me.. want use ML..
I wait your answer

Thank you! ^^
Read the description! 1st post.
Canon 70D.111B Video: Canon 70D, Canon 18-135mm IS STM 3,5-4,5, Canon 35mm USM 2 
Audio: Zoom H6, Rode Lavalier mic, Rode VideoMic Pro, Senheiser Lavalier mics Lights: LED-panels

jhon_wane

Hello guys and thanks a lot for your work. You made a lot of us happy  :).
I want to prepare for RAW video and considering which card I need to buy in order to support 70D raw video at the max resolution and FPS that would be possible with ML.
Please help me choose between:
1. SDHC/SDXC?
2. 32GB? 64GB? MORE?
3  Needed writing speed for best results at max available quality and fps resolution?
4. SANDISK/LEXAR/OTHER?

Again - Thanks a lot guys for your work. Much appreciated.

Corto Maltese

any ideia for when will the other version of ml70d be avaible, for the 70d's that can't use this alpha ml?

Frarike

Quote from: jhon_wane on January 22, 2015, 07:37:42 PM
Hello guys and thanks a lot for your work. You made a lot of us happy  :).
I want to prepare for RAW video and considering which card I need to buy in order to support 70D raw video at the max resolution and FPS that would be possible with ML.
Please help me choose between:
1. SDHC/SDXC?
2. 32GB? 64GB? MORE?
3  Needed writing speed for best results at max available quality and fps resolution?
4. SANDISK/LEXAR/OTHER?

Again - Thanks a lot guys for your work. Much appreciated.

Wrong thread to ask this, search the forum.
70D.112

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Corto Maltese on January 22, 2015, 07:40:27 PM
any ideia for when will the other version of ml70d be avaible, for the 70d's that can't use this alpha ml?

FAQ -> Last section: Troll Questions -> Last one

bsauce42

I'm guessing once the Alpha build is stable.

starcat

Hello guys!

Overlays
-Zebras: ОК
-Focus Peak: Not OK
-MagicZoom: Not OK
-Cropmarks: ОК
-Ghost Image: ОК
-Spotmeter: ОК
-False Color: ОК
-Histogram: ОК
-Waveform: ОК
-Vectorscope: ОК
Movie
-BitRate: Not OK
-REC Key: ОК
-Gradual Exposure: Not OK
-FPS Override: Not availbale with Alpha0
-HDR Video: Not OK
-Vignetting: ОК
-Image Finetuning: Not OK
-Movie Tweaks: ОК
Shoot
-Intervalometer: Not OK
-Motion Detect: Not OK
-Shoot Preferences: Not OK
Included Modules
- Raw_rec: ОК
- ettr: ____
- autoexpo: Not OK 

Today I see the following limitations:
1. The representation of FPS, shutter speed,  aperture and ISO on the screen are wrong.
2.  Magiclantern Menu resets always - it turns back to Live View.

Raw_rec works good. I shot with 24 fps (screen resolution - 1600x800) for 30 seconds. With the screen resolution 1344x672 my 70D works with no time limitations.  My memory card is SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 64 GB. My test-shot is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNlwapEyKw

Thanks a lot for your work!

PanzerMamba

Wow, really nice looking shoot, especially outodoor views.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DigitalVeil

Quote from: starcat on January 22, 2015, 09:10:03 PM
Raw_rec works good. I shot with 24 fps (screen resolution - 1600x800) for 30 seconds. With the screen resolution 1344x672 my 70D works with no time limitations.  My memory card is SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 64 GB. My test-shot is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNlwapEyKw

Thanks a lot for your work!

Nice video! The raw footage really puts in perspective just how soft the h264 footage is.  Can't stand that softness.  I also found it very interesting how switching to raw almost completely eliminated the color aliasing in the 3rd shot.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM