Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rotaryman

@ShootMeAlready: Interesting. My 70D was purchase in Canada in around September 2014. ML install worked perfectly by following instructions.

Those asking about RAW video: I haven't personally tried over 720p RAW but recorded 720p RAW for 2:30 with no breaking on a SanDisk Extreme 64GB 45 MB/s SD card.

janoschsimon

Quote from: Guitarshredder1 on January 16, 2015, 07:37:22 PM
Mine did the same thing, I tried it a second time, half pressed the shutter button, and it worked. Maybe try this?

when did you press the shutter button? :-)

gsanchez922

Quick question. When you  shot in raw, Do you have audio? If the answer  is  yes Can I do 1 of 2 things
1- Disabled the audio because I gonna use the camara for music video  or I not gonna use the camara audio enough
2- for audio synchronization: Can I use a really low quality  audio because I  have a  external record  and pro mic for my production.

nikfreak

yes you can. alpha0 doesn't record audio
beta / final will have options to disable it (mlv)
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Guitarshredder1

@janoshsimon, I pressed it when the screen was black (out of frustration). The camera then went to show the picture I had loaded and then I got the welcome message!

janoschsimon

@guitarshredder1 hm dont work for me MEH :D so waiting GRR :D
btw did anybody test hdmi out? :D

haasje57

Will that again show up on the 70D like I was used to have on the 550d?
Sorry if that was already asked and thanks a lot for this firmware.

Berrob

I have also had no luck. Bought in Germany October 2014 - Serial #053022****

One strange thing I have noted is that if I try sometimes to press the shutter button just after the firmware loaded page disappears but before the sensor clean screen I can get the camera to lock up and produce an error 80. This seems to stick around until I remove the ML directory.
This is not bricking the camera - Seems to be reversable

Not sure if this is helpful or not.

Once again, thank you Nikfreak for making any of this possible! I would love to help out where ever I can!
Cheers,
Rob

DigitalVeil

To anyone who is running this build on their 70D:

What does your camera temperature (on the ML overlay) get up to?  My 70D gets up to about 80C after ~10 minutes of usage (in either LiveView or Movie mode) every single time I use it.  Even when not recording.  I'm wondering if ML is causing my cam to get so warm (doubt it) or if it just always gets that warm, and whether that's common for 70Ds or just a problem with mine.  I'm betting it would overheat during an outdoor shoot in the summer...
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

ShootMeAlready

I got mine in US feb 2014, #0521...  so its looking more and more like lower serial numbers (less than 0620...?) than any region.  As I noted some other US folks have ML running.

Also mine says made in Japan, which I suspect is were they are all made.  So the only region difference I know of is PAL 25/50 fps vs N.A. 30/60 fps option.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Glassed

Hello to all the ML community !

this is my first post, so first and foremost  massive congratulations (and thanks!) to the team that makes this possible.

My first attempt to install the alpha0 release in my 70D was not succesful, unless I am doing something wrong.

I did the following:

1) format card in camera, take a picture, turn off camera, load the SD in card reader, and paste the files from the alpha0 release in sd card root directory.
2) Turn on camera, press info until info screen is shown, then go to menu and select firmware update.
3) The camera starts firmware update, but the screen goes black after a second ( does not look like it actually does something like updating a firmware, its just too fast)
4) the 70d does NOT go automatically to playback mode, yet it operates normally like if I didnt update or touch the firmware. pressed playback, took pictures, but does NOT show " bootdisk enable ", even waiting for a few minutes with screen on playback mode.

note: no lens was attached during the process, and the camera was set to M mode.

Do I have the wrong revision of the 1.1.1 firmware ?

If thats not the case and I am doing something wrong, please let me know, I will help in the testing in any way I can, because this is awesome.  :D

EDIT: Serial Nº : 052022000011 , 70D (N) Model , Purchased Feb 2014.

fever003

ARSiege

Yes i am from southeast asia  :P

Guitarshredder1

Quote from: DigitalVeil on January 17, 2015, 12:28:45 AM
To anyone who is running this build on their 70D:

What does your camera temperature (on the ML overlay) get up to?  My 70D gets up to about 80C after ~10 minutes of usage (in either LiveView or Movie mode) every single time I use it.  Even when not recording.  I'm wondering if ML is causing my cam to get so warm (doubt it) or if it just always gets that warm, and whether that's common for 70Ds or just a problem with mine.  I'm betting it would overheat during an outdoor shoot in the summer...

I'm getting the same temp, but it doesn't feel any warmer than usual, especially around the SD card slot, which usually gets hot. It stays warm (cooler than usual) even when recording 1600p 2.35:1 Raw for 3 minutes.

gsanchez922

Hello Everyone I install the Alpha and my serial is 082024xxxxx I bought in Jun of 2014 and I bought in B&H so Serial and date not care now the problem maybe is te region, I'm from USA maybe some people has the japan version

fever003

Quote from: gsanchez922 on January 17, 2015, 02:29:17 AM
Hello Everyone I install the Alpha and my serial is 082024xxxxx I bought in Jun of 2014 and I bought in B&H so Serial and date not care now the problem maybe is te region, I'm from USA maybe some people has the japan version

Yes mine says made in Japan

DigitalVeil

Quote from: Guitarshredder1 on January 17, 2015, 02:26:19 AM
I'm getting the same temp, but it doesn't feel any warmer than usual, especially around the SD card slot, which usually gets hot. It stays warm (cooler than usual) even when recording 1600p 2.35:1 Raw for 3 minutes.

Hmm... well at least I'm not the only one.  The camera would get quite warm in my hands even before ML and I suppose it's not any warmer than it already was.  I guess these things just run hot?

Quote from: Glassed on January 17, 2015, 12:56:13 AM
4) the 70d does NOT go automatically to playback mode, yet it operates normally like if I didnt update or touch the firmware. pressed playback, took pictures, but does NOT show " bootdisk enable ", even waiting for a few minutes with screen on playback mode.

Did you have a picture on the card before running the firmware update?  That might be the problem.  When I do the installation it doesn't automatically take me to playback either, I had to press the play button manually and wait a couple seconds.

Also - sorry this is a little OT - I noticed in Canon's menu that my lens has its own firmware, and there's an option to update the lens FW.  It's the new 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake.  I had no idea a lens could even have firmware!
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

rotaryman

Quote from: Glassednote: no lens was attached during the process, and the camera was set to M mode.

Might want to read over the instructions again. Need to have a picture before the firmware update and you can't take a picture with no lens  :P

@DigitalVeil: The temperature on my camera also increases throughout the time it's on, but I can't say it's warm to the touch as yet. I haven't really used it for more than 10-15 minutes but those are my findings.

JohnnyG_71

Quote from: DigitalVeil on January 15, 2015, 05:38:59 PM
Yes, removing ML this way does work.  It does leave an ML folder that only contains a config file but removes everything else, it no longer runs after doing this.

Quote from: nikfreak on January 15, 2015, 04:03:35 PM
Johnny, the menu override in Canon menu while selecting the option to format card works. You can switch with "Q" button to format card and retain ML on camera which I tested and that's working. There's also the option to remove ML but I didn't test it. Should work but I cannot guarantuee that it works because I didn't try. I will test it myself later and give an answer on that. Till then I don't recommend you to use that option.

Quote from: JohnnyG_71 on January 15, 2015, 03:57:33 PM
Hi nikfreak,

Mega kudos goes out to you and the ML team!!

Quick question:
You mentioned on January 7th that "You won't be able to remove the bootflag again."
Is that still the case with the Alpha build?

Cheers!

Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply!  I was referring to removing the BootFlag on the camera, not the ML files from the SD card.
Thanks! :)
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

vfero

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your great work!
Before trying this new ML, i'd like to be sure there's still an Advanced Bracket ( as i only make HDR photos )

Regards,
Vince

OlRivrRat

Digi'Veil

Are you sure about that 80ºC ~ That would be 176ºF & you would not be able to hold it If So ~ I have Run My70D in Mov'Mode for up to @Least 8Hrs stopping only a few seconds @ the 30MinMarks & whenever it needs a Batt' or Card Change & it does get VerySlightlyWarm in the Batt' & Card Area with the Card getting the Warmest ~ But Even the Cards never get anything more than just Warm ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

DigitalVeil

Quote from: OlRivrRat on January 17, 2015, 06:26:58 AM
      Digi'Veil

Are you sure about that 80ºC ~ That would be 176ºF & you would not be able to hold it If So ~ I have Run My70D in Mov'Mode for up to @Least 8Hrs stopping only a few seconds @ the 30MinMarks & whenever it needs a Batt' or Card Change & it does get VerySlightlyWarm in the Batt' & Card Area with the Card getting the Warmest ~ But Even the Cards never get anything more than just Warm ~

ORR ~ DeanB

It's just the temperature ML is reporting, which could be wrong for all we know. And it's the internal temperature of the camera, the exterior shell will always be cooler. I think I did read in the 70D manual that Canon actual recommends not holding the camera in your hands while shooting video as it can get hot. Idk, I guess that's just the way it is.

Quote from: vfero on January 17, 2015, 04:57:14 AM
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your great work!
Before trying this new ML, i'd like to be sure there's still an Advanced Bracket ( as i only make HDR photos )

Regards,
Vince
Unfortunately Dual ISO is completely non-functional at this point.

vfero

DigitalVeil

I'm just talking about the ability to make from 3 to 11 brackets  :D

DeafEyeJedi

Just tried it for the 3rd time to no avail.

So I am in fact one of the unlucky ones w the old ICU atm.

Purchased: Dec 2013 (USA)
Serial#: 0520 (in case you guys were wondering)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

fever003

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on January 17, 2015, 09:17:11 AM
Just tried it for the 3rd time to no avail.

So I am in fact one of the unlucky ones w the old ICU atm.

Purchased: Dec 2013
Serial#: 05202100#### (in case you guys were wondering)

Yeah same here. Purchased in December 2013, serial number 048######. Made in Japan.

Not complaining that it doesn't work, just mentioning here in case someone wants to know if theirs are not working for the same reason

erno

No luck yet.
Does not load: Serial 04302xxx..
Purchased:Finland, december 2013.

Thanks Nikfreak, Alex, Nanomad and all the supporters. Nikfreak, lmk if you visit Helsinki someday. Ill buy you a pint (or pints) of Finnish Karhu-Beer. Sauna is also available [emoji1][emoji779]️
Canon 70D.111B Video: Canon 70D, Canon 18-135mm IS STM 3,5-4,5, Canon 35mm USM 2 
Audio: Zoom H6, Rode Lavalier mic, Rode VideoMic Pro, Senheiser Lavalier mics Lights: LED-panels