Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

bigorna

Walter, I don't know, but is probably possible that Canon release a new fw that identifies the hw and updates based on that.

Walter Schulz

You know Occam's razor?
I rest my case until Canon releases a firmware update for 70D.

bigorna

It's ok. We are talking about hypothesis anyway...

Mr.Click

Hello, I´m new to the Forum, I tried the new Alpha today, it works well , thank you very much, well done  !

I didn´t try all Functions yet, one issue I noticed is that the Image Review Settings doesn´t work properly ( I loved the Quick Zoom on my Old 50D) I´m not sure, but it seems that Quick Zoom works while zooming out, but not while zooming in.

( please Excuse my English I do not speak it so often)
Canon
EOS 80D/ EOS M+ML /  EOS 50E/ EF-M 18-55 3,5-5,6 IS STM / EF-S 10-18 4,5-5,6 IS STM / A 24 1,4 DG HSM / EF 35 2,0 IS USM / EX 50 1,4 HSM / EF-S 55-250 4.5,6 IS STM , Speedlight 430 EX II

nikfreak

Added to first post. Thanx for reporting @mr. Click  8)
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

k1w1

EOS 7DII, EOS 70D, EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM, Sigma 150-600mm Sport zoom, EF-S 60 f/2.8 macro USM, EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF10-20mm wide angle.

Canniballissimo

I bought my 70D in December 2013. When I install the ML does not happen anything. Offer to update the firmware, click OK, and then after a couple of seconds, I am on the same screen with the settings of photo-shooting

pa0los

Hi guys
First of all thank you to all the developers porting ML to 70d. Great work!
I tried installing the alpha and it didn't work the first time, because I didn't understand the instruction correctly. Just a few notes to nilfreak's manual:
1. After you put the SD card with extracted ML files to your camera, you must switch the camera to photo-shooting mode and press INFO button. The display should present information like shooting mode, SD card space left, date and time, etc.
2. Then press menu and go through the normal firmware update procedure. Camera should reset.
3. At this point I didn't see anything on the display, because camera booted into shooting mode. I had to press "play" button - my photo on SD card showed up and after few seconds I could see the "Enabled bootdisk" message.

Right now I familiarize myself with the ML, must read some manuals on how to use some of the functionalities.
I tried already RAW recording: with 1280x720 my Sandisk Extreme card rated for 45MB/s couldn't stand more than a minute of recording.

bigorna

The same as Cannibalissimo occurred with my 70D (no message and come back to info screen after a couple of seconds). Bought in March 2014. Not able to help for now...

DigitalVeil

Nikfreak, don't forget Bitrate Control and Dual ISO in the 'what's not working' section  ;D

Quote from: pa0los on January 15, 2015, 09:27:01 PM

Right now I familiarize myself with the ML, must read some manuals on how to use some of the functionalities.
I tried already RAW recording: with 1280x720 my Sandisk Extreme card rated for 45MB/s couldn't stand more than a minute of recording.

I'm guessing your card peaks at 45MB/s but at times dips below the required 36MB/s for 720p raw.  Speed ratings on SD cards are very snaky, you really can't trust them.  I bought an SD card rated for 90MB/s writes just to be sure, and so far I've never had any interruptions at 720p.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

senones

hi...
after downloading alpha0, i updated my firmware with the instruction above and voila my 70d have blank black screenn. first i thought my 70d is not supported on. but then with BLANK i take a picture and voilaaa i have my screen SHOWS ENABLE BOOTDISK :)
i dont know if this step could solve this uncompatible issues. and good luck

bigorna

Following paolos instructions, I had a different result. Now it rebooted. But after play, I could see my picture but didn't get the "enabled bootdisk" message. Is it possible that the message didn't show up because it was already enabled at my previous attempts?

nikfreak

Quote from: senones on January 15, 2015, 09:37:01 PM
hi...
after downloading alpha0, i updated my firmware with the instruction above and voila my 70d have blank black screenn. first i thought my 70d is not supported on. but then with BLANK i take a picture and voilaaa i have my screen SHOWS ENABLE BOOTDISK :)
i dont know if this step could solve this uncompatible issues. and good luck

It's stated in first post. You need to have a pictire shot with your 70d before starting the firmware upgrade

Quote from: pa0los on January 15, 2015, 09:27:01 PM!
I tried installing the alpha and it didn't work the first time, because I didn't understand the instruction correctly. Just a few notes to nilfreak's manual:
1. After you put the SD card with extracted ML files to your camera, you must switch the camera to photo-shooting mode and press INFO button. The display should present information like shooting mode, SD card space left, date and time, etc.

This is stated in first post, too

Quote from: pa0los on January 15, 2015, 09:27:01 PM
3. At this point I didn't see anything on the display, because camera booted into shooting mode. I had to press "play" button - my photo on SD card showed up and after few seconds I could see the "Enabled bootdisk" message.
Nice find although it should have done it automatically but others can try that, too.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Corto Maltese

well, sad face for me. nothing happend....

granan13

All right so i installed ML on my 70D, thanks a lot for your work nikfreak, really, it's nice to see some people giving their time for the community.

Here's my return :

-Is it normal that The "Audio" and "Expo" do not appear in the menu ? Or maybe i missed something, it's my first use of ML.

- Focus Peaking : OK tried with different settings and it worked great.

- Intervalometer : NOT OK I tried to set it in photo mode, then when i go back to liveview, after 3sec, no picture is taken, and the different buttons do not respond, i need to turn the camera off/on.

- 3.0x bitrate : seems OK

- REC Key : OK

-HDR video : don't know how to activate it, asks for manual iso.

- Ghost picture : OK, the image flickers a little when you set the image you want to use, for 1sec and then it is ok.

- Strange thing : my 18-35 1,8 is detected as 61-138 on the left bottom of the screen. And even if i change the aperture value the only value on the screen is f/1.7

I'll do more tests this weekend, it's the only way i can help, I have no competences in coding.
70D -- 18-135 stm -- Sigma 18-35 F1,8 -- Super takumar 50mm F1,4

DeafEyeJedi

As for me with the 70D that I have with the OLD ICU FW -- no success as of yet even tried to manually switch to playback mode or even take a picture and switch to playback mode to get it working.

All good I'll be happy to wait for the updated alpha...Thanks again to everyone!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DigitalVeil

Quote from: granan13 on January 15, 2015, 11:10:33 PM
-HDR video : don't know how to activate it, asks for manual iso.

Yeah I forgot about this one, happening with my build too.  Features that require manual ISO will claim that manual ISO is disabled even when it is set to manual.

Also, I reported that the flashing zebras were fixed but I was wrong.  They stop flashing when AF is disabled, enabling AF causes both zebras and spot meter to flash on and off.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

granan13

Another strange thing :

shutter speed value shown by ML in video doesn't match with the value shown by the LCD screen on the top of camera :

ML shows 1/27 when camera says 1/30, then 1/32 for 1/40, 1/40 for 1/50, 1/50 for 1/60 etc... like if there was a gap of one stop between the two, is it normal ?
70D -- 18-135 stm -- Sigma 18-35 F1,8 -- Super takumar 50mm F1,4

Guitarshredder1

First off, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS NIKFREAK! I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I have been waiting so long for this release. Now that I've gotten that out of my system, time to state my case. First off, I too noticed that the audio tab was missing, would turning that off for RAW recording lower the necessary data rate? I am maxing at a continuous shooting of 756X1344 with a 60 mbps SD card (I know, it seems to really be maxing at around 40 mbps). Also, the frame rate is locked at 21.596 FPS, or am I reading that wrong? I'm new to magic lantern, but it seems to be the frame rate. Also, the ML menu exits out randomly, which is a bug to be expected. The list of specs, like the f stop and lens focus distance doesn't update effectively, the f-stop number never updates. Almost everything else works, though!
Overlays
-Zebras: OK
-Focus Peak: OK
-MagicZoom:NOT OK, doesn't work off of zoom button
-Cropmarks: OK
-Ghost Image: _OK_
-Spotmeter: _OK
-False Color: ____OK
-Histogram: ____OK
-Waveform: ____OK
-Vectorscope: ____OK, appears over magic zoom. I can just move magic zoom.
Movie
-BitRate: ____OK
-REC Key: ____OK
-Gradual Exposure: ____
-FPS Override: Not availbale with Alpha0 (would really like to see)
-HDR Video: ____
-Vignetting: ____OK
-Image Finetuning: ____OK
-Movie Tweaks: ____OK
Shoot
-Intervalometer: ____NOT OK. It sets off the write file light, but doesn't actually take any pictures during time interval. Have to restart camera to stop flashing light.
-Motion Detect: ____
-Shoot Preferences: ____
Included Modules
- Raw_rec: ____OK (Is there any way to disable audio for this? Or is it already not recording?)
- ettr: ____OK
- autoexpo: ____OK
Other issues:
Other than the super short recording time for RAW above 720, which probably isn't a ML issue, this is great! The main reasons I wanted it were for zebras and RAW, but I can live with compression and a denoiser.

Guitarshredder1

Another thing: the ram percentage constantly reads 0.0%

DigitalVeil

Quote from: granan13 on January 15, 2015, 11:45:21 PM
Another strange thing :

shutter speed value shown by ML in video doesn't match with the value shown by the LCD screen on the top of camera :

ML shows 1/27 when camera says 1/30, then 1/32 for 1/40, 1/40 for 1/50, 1/50 for 1/60 etc... like if there was a gap of one stop between the two, is it normal ?

Not normal, but it's a known bug

draco

Well shoot I can't load the firmware. It goes to the grey Canon "Firmware update program" screen with "Loading.." in the middle for 1 second then the screen turns black and quickly exits to the shooting info screen. I guess this means I have the older firmware. My 70D serial #06202xxx. I purchased the Camera Aug2014 from B&H.

I did Java and C programming 15 years ago so might try to learn more and help out. Maybe some of us can make a new thread and start work on the port for earlier firmware as Nitfreak and others are going to be busy enough.

rotaryman

Thank you for the port. I seem to be one of the lucky ones who it works for. Easy instructions to follow, worked perfectly first shot.

I will go through the functions piece by piece, but by my first run through I did notice that the shutter speeds and ISO levels do not read correctly while in LiveView. Aperture during LiveView also does not update.

Just a few small things, once again great work - much appreciated!

More to come.

TomJ

Loaded perfect, first try. So far, all's dandy. Never seem to have problems with ML though (whew...), the T3i and T4i pre-alpha just always worked like butter for me too. Perhaps my camera's see what I do to bricked cell phones when they react wrongly to bad code? Whatever. It keeps 'em in line...  :D

Will report back on tests.

Edit: Late model 70D (Nov 2013, second body), Kodak 1gb SD card (slow as dirt, found on floor of train in south India years ago). Prob meaningless since it loaded and worked like buttah for me.