Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Oh, ok. To be more precise: Had it happen very often, in the past, not with recent builds, probably over a year ago or something.
Now I'm looking in the help menu I see it's triggered, on the 6d at least, by the focus points selection button.
Didn't know that  ???
Maybe it was another button in earlier builds, more then a year ago or something ?

I would expect to see the button, with which the 'Arrow/SET shortcuts' could be triggered, to be displayed somewhere in the same setting menu.
So in the Prefs tab, within the Arrow/SET shortcuts menu, maybe add a line of tekst in the bottom that it is triggered by using focus point selection key?
But it's probably a different key by each camera.

a1ex

It is in that menu, in the help text. The button was not changed in the last few years.

From the QEMU experiments, I remember Canon's MPU sending the "unpress zoom" button event with every GUI mode change (i.e. the button currently configured on 6D). That should explain why it triggered randomly.

Will disable this feature on both cameras.

Audionut

I can recall some weird behavior on 6D some time ago.
I'm currently sitting on a build from 30/07 (iso_research).

None of the arrow/SET shortcuts options are having any effect here in either liveview modes.
The arrow keys only move the focus box, regardless of arrow/SET settings.

In photo live view, SET key function in canon settings has an effect. 
SET key set in canon to off, focus box resets to center on set key press.
SET key set to ISO in canon settings, focus box does not reset to center, some other display overrides quickly, then sits in the background as long as the set key is pressed.

In movie live view, canon setting has no effect.  Focus box always resets to center on set key press.

edit:  I tried to confirm the correct behavior using that nifty display you created for the homepage, but the arrow keys do nothing in either live view mode there.  :D

stan101

Quote from: Levas on September 26, 2018, 08:49:27 AM
About this so called bug, it's not a bug, it's a setting.
Had it happen very often, while moving around the focus box etc, suddenly whitebhlance and iso settings pop up.
These are probably the settings you're looking for: Prefs tab in ML menu ->Arrow/SET shortcuts, ISO/Kelvin and use SET button are on by default.

Your screen shot is different to mine. On mine the orange text says "This feature only works in movie mode" and besides, it was turned off.

a1ex

I'm trying to revive a 70D whose battery was removed in the middle of a firmware update; need to reflash the ROM for that.

As I've never performed this procedure on 70D, I'd like to experiment on a defective camera first, to avoid damaging the good camera by mistake.

Quote from: a1ex on October 07, 2018, 06:34:28 AM
If anyone has a 70D that powers on, but it's otherwise unusable and it's not going to be repaired, I'd like to try the reflashing routine on that camera first.

ArcziPL

Hi, a problem report: Dual ISO just stopped working for me.

When enabling it in ML menu I get ISOless PH err(7). It's interesting, as it's similar to what I was getting on my 700D until Bilal found the alternative adresses of the registers which do work also for my camera.

I can't tell when and what has changed since the last time the DualISO was still working, as I don't use this function often: last time was somewhen in summer.

I tried to revert to older ML version but it didn't help. I wonder if resetting the Canon settings would help but at the moment I'm reluctant to do so as I customize the camera's settings a lot and don't see an easy way of listing/storing the altered setting in order to apply them all afterwards quickly. Or is there a way to backup and recall the setup later?
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

a1ex

In your case (i.e. able to compile from source), the recommended workaround is the following:

- get adtg_gui (or compile it from the iso-research branch if you prefer)
- expecting it to work out of the box on any recent 70D build
- write down the address of CMOS[0]
- compare it with the address of PHOTO_CMOS_ISO_START from dual_iso.c

Saving and restoring Canon settings is not currently supported; they are just too many, and many of them have hardcoded behaviors, or even missing validation checks*). Some of them may have quirks; see e.g. this apparently trivial task showing differences in one property (PROP_VIDEO_MODE) across different cameras (not in functionality, but in the preconditions required to change it and in persistence).

*) An example: setting some invalid value to PROP_PIC_QUALITY (whose values are camera-specific, btw) is going to give ERR70, but that doesn't prevent it from being saved in the non-volatile memory. That means, you'll get that ERR70 at subsequent reboots, too. You don't even need ML to trigger this error; some USB remote control apps caused this, too (on other models; not aware of such incidents on 70D). So far, this condition was recoverable (on some models, via gphoto2, on others, with custom code that restored the valid value at startup).

I was thinking to implement some sort of Modified menu for common Canon settings; that should be easier, as most of the properties are common across models, but didn't start writing any code for it, except for identifying their associated MPU messages. It should be debuggable in QEMU.

ArcziPL

70D section from dual_iso.c:

/* Photo Mode
        100 - 0x40451664 value (0x3)
        200 - 0x40451678
        400 - 0x4045168c
        800 - 0x404516a0
        1600 -0x404516b4
        3200 -0x404516c8
        6400 -0x404516dc value (0xdb)
        12800-0x404516dc value (0xdb) like ISO 6400 */

PHOTO_CMOS_ISO_START = 0x40451664; // CMOS register 0000 - for photo mode, ISO 100

My camera in photo mode, ISO100:
cmos[0]: 0x404e5664, value 0x03

Changed the dual_iso.c with the actual address for my camera, compiled, tested => it works.

I'll try playing around with the Canon menu settings which I possible altered recently to try fail it again. For sure I have registered some new lenses in AFMA menu which AFAIR is not modifiable from menu (it seems one can't just delete entries...) but there may be more.

Thank you a1ex for a quick response and guiding.

It seems we have such non-deterministic addresses in several cameras for several settings...

Thinking about some solutions/workarounds:
1. How do you find a workaround that the module is aware of both addresses, first tries the preferred one and, when it fails, tries the other one. In case of a success, the working one is set as preferred for the next time. It seems the module can detect a wrong address, as the error info is then displayed. It also seems that trying the wrong one is safe, as I didn't experience any bad side effect.
2. Is there an option to auto-detect the CMOS[0] in a similar way the adtg_gui is doing it? I believe it's harded to achieve, as adtg_gui seems to use some memory-hacks which you rather try to avoid and it requires taking a photo with ISO100 setting to get the right address.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

domo94

Hi there,

Canon 7D user here.
I really love my 7D, but the poor low light performance, high noise ratio is starting to take a toll for me and I'm just weighing options here.

I have been looking into the 70D because it's like a brother to the 7D. I've already invested in lenses & I still want to stay with Canon, and APS-C sensor because I find no need to switch an entire camera system if I do not need to.
Magic Lantern RAW produces such incredible footage, I'm happy using it all the time. + I don't like Sony, tbh.

I have invested into the 7D VAF Anti-aliasing filter as well, and I'm curious to know, will that same filter fit within the 70D body or does it sit loose? Is there a minor difference or a big one? Because if so, I could find a work around to ensure the VAF filter fits, therefore justifying me purchasing a 70D.

I'd love to get some help from you guys. Thanks!

KetoDuo

I recently installed Magic Lantern Nightly Build Oct, 11, 18 112 on my 70D. Apparently I am having the same issues discussed in this post. The Canon screen keeps timing out, causing my live screen to glitch. I'm a bit confused as to which processes corrected this issue. Can someone please help me? Really need to get this straightened out before we leave for the holidays. THX!

andy kh

Quote from: domo94 on November 29, 2018, 05:50:33 AM
I have been looking into the 70D because it's like a brother to the 7D.
I'd love to get some help from you guys. Thanks!

70D is a good camera, much better in low light than other apsc cameras but i wil not recommend you to buy 70d for using magic lantern. it doesnt work well yet like other cameras. im planing to sell my 70d n switch to some other camera
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

one good news for 70D with the latest build ie 24Dec18 build. i dont have face tracking problem anymore which i used to have with older builds. there are other improvements as well. i wil do more test and try to share
5D Mark III - 70D

a1ex

That's nice if it's really fixed, but it might as well be placebo. I didn't do anything special to fix that particular issue. I've only included some backend improvements and fixes for other issues found in other models.

If you (or anyone else) knows a way to reproduce that bug, that should help narrowing it down (or knowing for sure whether that bug was fixed or not).

Menu timeout fix should be included as well.

ArcziPL

What is this bug about? Does it occur in photo mode or in raw video only?

fekberg

If this has been asked before I apologise!

Will the 70D with ML handle 60 minutes of continuous recording without overheating? Given that it's indoors and not overly hot inside.

Also, will there be a few seconds gap right after 29.59 mins?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: fekberg on December 27, 2018, 11:41:11 AM
Will the 70D with ML handle 60 minutes of continuous recording without overheating?

AFAIK 50D is the only cam known for having troubles with temperature. Temperature will - of course - rise during record. You may be able to reduce internal heat-up by using external power source.

Quote from: fekberg on December 27, 2018, 11:41:11 AM
Also, will there be a few seconds gap right after 29.59 mins?

You will loose < 1 seconds in H.264 (native Canon MOV) all 29:59 minutes
There is no limitation but temperature and card space and battery capacity using ML raw/mlv. If you can handle bandwidth...
And you may use HDMI liveview without duration limit, too.

ShootMeAlready

70D if you shoot 10bit raw video, yes it will get hot, as in hot pixels.
Keep ISO to 400 or less, to minimize this when shooting raw.
Same applies to long exposures.

Hot Pixels will kick in within minutes well before any overheat issues.

If you shoot H264 then Hot Pixels are not an issue, and ISO is good to about 1600.

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Mac_28

Hi everyone...

can someone please enlight me on this question, on lat builds for the 70D I have seen always the same test fail, what is the "Null Pointer test fail"  and what could be the consequences for the camera if I install that build with that fail.... could the camera be damaged or it is a minor issue that does not affects the camera....?

Thank you in advance.

SouthPark

Magic Lantern is fantastic. I particularly love the focus peaking feature. The only hair-tearing hair-ripping frustrating time I had was trying to make it work after needing to update the camera firmware to 1.1.2 -- was not remembering to reset camera settings to default settings after completing the update of firmware version 1.1.2. This is no fault at all with magic lantern.

I spent ages trying to figure out why no focus peaking dots were appearing in the magic lantern live view screen - trying a bunch of things like retrying current version and previous versions of magic lantern for the 70D. We usually get to the bottom of it at the end. The thing that I messed up on is forgetting about, or not knowing that I needed to go into the Canon 70D settings immediately after the 1.1.2 firmware update, and manually reset or clear all the current camera settings. In other words .....  go back to camera default settings after 1.1.2 firmware update. Once done, back in action again with the focus peaking.

I'm sure that others have gone down this same path.

Danialdaneshmand

Hey fellas

Has anyone had experience with both 70D and 7D magiclantern?
I'm planning on changing my 7D for a 70D mainly for smooth auto focusing with STM lenses.
Since ML is working really good with mine i wanted to know if at the moment there are any large drawbacks? photo or video.

[email protected]

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 28, 2018, 08:26:01 PM
AFAIK 50D is the only cam known for having troubles with temperature. Temperature will - of course - rise during record. You may be able to reduce internal heat-up by using external power source.

You will loose < 1 seconds in H.264 (native Canon MOV) all 29:59 minutes
There is no limitation but temperature and card space and battery capacity using ML raw/mlv. If you can handle bandwidth...
And you may use HDMI liveview without duration limit, too.

I have still problem with the 29:59 minutes issue, i have to restart the recording after ~30 minutes recording. Do I missunderstand something?

I have:
-Canon 70D 1.1.2
-ML 2018-12-24 19:47 installed, and working, as I understand
-SanDisk Ultra 128GB (up to 100 MB/s)
-SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB (100 MB/s)

Br.
Patrik Sundin

Walter Schulz

If you want to stream for > 30 min you need an experimental build (lua_fix) and setting "Prefs tab -> PowerSave in LiveView -> 30-minute timer Disabled".
If you want to record in H.264 uninterrupted: No way, there will be a short break each 29:59. Setting "Movie tab -> Movie  Tweaks -> Movie Restart ON"
If you want to record RAW/MLV uninterrupted: Implemented in nightly builds.

trailwalkerstudios

sorry if this has been answered, I've been searching and can't find it.

I want to get the latest version running and wanted to know what the file sizes are like with RAW video on the 70D?
What is the best SD card, bit rates, etc? I think I read it shoot All-I at 88 mbps... but with RAW and wanted to shoot weddings or events with it and needed to roll for over an hour sometimes, or more... what would I need.
most likely these _> SDXC- 2TB (exFAT)
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-512GB-Extreme-UHS-I-SDSDXXY-512G-GN4IN/dp/B07H9VBM29/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
they just announced 1 & 2 TB cards coming too.
sorry if this has been answered, just need to get rolling.

THANKS!

Walter Schulz

Without cutting edge overclocking tech (which might get your card killed randomly) 70D's useable write speed is about 40 MByte/s. Resulting in about 3.5 hours recording time for this card.
You might want to use a much smaller (and cheaper) card to get familiar with RAW on 70D and its limitations. Using nightly build you should get continuous recording in 720p24 with uncompressed 14 bit RAW. Experimental builds provide reduced bit depth (10 or 12) and compressing (up to about 50 percent). Doesn't fit into 1080p25 but closer.

If cutting edge gets approval for daily use (don't ask when ...) you may get write rates up to about 70 MByte/s thus reducing recording time to about 2 hours for given card. But please don't invest in such expensive cards without evaluating using a cheaper one. Recommending Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MByte/s 32 or 64 GByte. Recommended site to check card speeds: www.cameramemoryspeed.com
Don't rely on in-camera measurements given there. They are not very precise. Better use numbers given by tests with cardreaders.

trailwalkerstudios

well I already have a few 32 gig cards that are the extreme 45 MB/s so I'll give those a shot and see. Is there a guide though? Like 32 gigs at this setting equals x hours.