Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

We are only able to set FPS via timerA and that again caused complaints if used below ~8-10fps if I recall it correctly. Using timerA will lead only to a hackish solution which will provide an option for "HiJello, FastTv" and others like "Low light" or "Exact FPS" will not work as they require timerB. Spent the most time on 70D porting on that issue but til date I found only one "hackish" solution to set FPS via timerB. You have to do it by modifying the appropriate register for timerB namely 0x6014. But the default setup like it works on all other cams will not work on 70D. So I won't provide a "hackish" solution but an idea could be to provide some sort of module based on a1ex's recently released "crop_rec.mo" module providing some short list of fixed fps values (1 / 6 / 12 /24) as non-reversible (???) modification while the module is active.

Quote from: notthatjesus on April 07, 2016, 03:45:01 AM
especially when there is a lot of movement in the time lapse. It's kinda hard to explain in words....

Moving objects? FRSP maybe won't fit but give it a go as with intervalometer you could do 4k single-file MLV timelapses easily. If not already known then search youtube for examples.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Skjd

Salve a tutti, ho un problema, ho istallato ultimo firmware su 70D, ma non mi fa settare la risoluzione per la ripresa Videoraw. C'è solo una unica risoluzione alta che mi fa riprendere soltanto per 4 secondi... Come mai?

X-STATE

@nikfreak
after porting dual iso in movie mode on 5d m2
Can we expect to see this on 70D?
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

nikfreak

5D2 uses one register for it. 70d behaves like all other digic5 cameras using 2 known registers. Like FPS override using the othe register confuses the cam. DeafEyejedi has posted some videos to show how it looks (strange flickering). Also tried 6D's register but that didn't either work. I left some comments in code and all over this thread regarding the issue but the solution won't be to use the 5D2-method. Maybe the best thing would be to return to start and follow what the changelog from 10th Mar.: Alpha4 in red color asked everybody to do but no one cared about. Might not help but give some hints perhaps.

lojzik

Quote from: nikfreak on April 07, 2016, 07:49:13 PM
10th Mar.: Alpha4 in red color asked everybody to do but no one cared about. Might not help but give some hints perhaps.
In simpler English please. Is still required some test? What to do? I don't see raw diagnostic included in beta-3b as it is written in alpha4.
70D.112

nikfreak

It will be included in next release.

Sayuuk

Timelapse from Video (on the 70D)

Advantages:
- open "acceleration", as there is basically unlimited frames to choose a time compression from

Disadvantages:
- less leeway in post (Raw vs. h264)
- lower resolution (cropping and simple sharpness)
- huge filesizes (at least at medium to long intervals, mRaw/sRaw as an option?)
- battery life

I think the only time you see issues with moving objects is with very low compression, like 3-10x or so.
You might want to try an ND-Filter to up the shutter and blur objects some more, just like in video
Now if you don't need the post-processing options and other stuff and want to do these kind of car-lapses, why not just get any random action cam?
Seems like the more appropriate solution, way smaller, cheaper and easier to mount, but will give you the kind of timelapse you linked to.

Cheers
Stefan

OlRivrRat

@ Sayuuk

You left out an Advantage ~ Far Less Wear & Tear on the Camera.

Oh, & ~ You also end up with a real time Vid of the Session if, for some reason, you should need it.

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

JohnnyG_71

Quote from: Sayuuk on April 08, 2016, 07:55:17 AM
Timelapse from Video (on the 70D)

Now if you don't need the post-processing options and other stuff and want to do these kind of car-lapses, why not just get any random action cam?

Hi Stefan!

I can't speak for jesús?, but for myself and many others, there's no desire to go spend another $400 on an action cam to do timelapse.  We prefer a single rig to carry and the quality of the sensor and processing on the 70D.  That said, one of the biggest advantages for FPS Override is saving the life of the shutter.  When you do a lot of timelapse, you burn through your shutter pretty quickly.  We typically don't need the higher resolution of the full 20MP, as the timelapse will be played back on a standard HD monitor or TV.  And aside from ML assisting with increasing the quality of our shots or videos, one of the other things it does for us is to help simplify our workflow.  When using FPS Override, as opposed to intervalometer, there's no need to download 9,000 photos (~48GB) and then stitch 9,000 photos together to make a 5 minute video.

Just my 2 cents ;-)
Cheers!!
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

Andori0803

Hi guys,
when i try to rec RAW video 1824X1026, canon stops due to a frame skipped. I use a San Disk extreme pro, class 10 95 mb/s. Can i solve this problem with another card?

Walter Schulz

No. SD-card interface in 70D is limited to about 41 MByte/s.

Xav

Hello, great job on this build! I'm wondering when audio monitoring will be supported and/or where that's at.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Don't hold your breath. Take a look at https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features and the Audio section there. Compare to other Digic 5 cams: Nope, none supports headphone monitoring. Making it run on Digic 5 is not within scope of this port.

aedipuss

anyone moving to the 80d?  a d6 processor, slightly higher 24 mb sensor and more autofocus points.  that's about it.  same crappy uhs-I sd card interface.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

PrasadVedvikhyat

Quote from: aedipuss on April 15, 2016, 03:03:45 AM
anyone moving to the 80d?  a d6 processor, slightly higher 24 mb sensor and more autofocus points.  that's about it.  same crappy uhs-I sd card interface.

According to the review by The Camera Store guys the sensor of 80D is pretty great and at par with the competitors. And according to the following post, the write speed is around 80mbps! Need to be verified though.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17960747
70D.111A

josepvm

Yes, it seems that 80D's sensor includes on-chip A/D conversion, aproaching the DR at ISO 100 to the DR seen on Sony sensors.

But 80D is a Digic 6 camera. And ML has not been ported yet to any Digic 6 camera... and porting it seems a very difficult and time consuming task ... so don't expect to see ML running on a 80D soon.

nikfreak

Please stay on topic- namely 70D. If you want to talk about 80D then open up a new thread.

tisa94

很高兴
so happy.
现在我有一个账号
Now I have an account.
I am a Chinese, using 70D for a year,and using ML for half a year.
Before I can only see you discuss.
Now I can ask the question, and I hope someone will answer me.

1,dual iso 
     Which software can be exported, and the latter process.
2,FPS
     What time appears again in the new version, I see the moderator in the discussion of FPS.

tisa94

No one answer me :-X :'(,Do you all sleep?

OlRivrRat

@Tisa94

Welcome ~ Most of the Wizards here are a bit Slow To Respond. I would try but am not DualISO Saavy.

As for FPS Override, you can go back to "8 August: Alpha-7a2" Build for Limited use. I keep that Build on

1 of My SDCards just for that purpose.

Be patient & enjoy.

ORR ~ DeanB

tisa94

@OlRivrRat

Where is the 7a2? My English is so bad cause me can not find it.

Can you help me?Thank you!

devomk

Hi ML users.  Does anyone got the previous  (before 8 March ) ML update?

aedipuss

tisa94 - get the cr2hdr zip from - https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Other%20tasks/job/cr2hdr-20bit/
extract all files into a folder.  put your cr2 dualiso pictures in there.  highlight them all and drag them onto cr2hdr.exe.  it will export all pictures as .dng that will open in photoshop.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

OlRivrRat

@Tisa94    &    @Devomk

Sent EMails to both of You ~ Did You Receive?

ORR ~ DeanB

andy kh

hi 70D guys. i have been using  650D for a while. thinking of upgrading to 70D. what do u guys say? is it worth it? how is everyone experiencing with ML on 70D?
5D Mark III - 70D