Canon 70D

Started by nikfreak, January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

Quote4. Bugs
-Pressing zoom in on canon menu, not ML view, brings up some debug window or something that sometimes says "saving config" at bottom, turning off camera gets rid of it - Confirmed this work around temporarily works!
Don't get this on 70D.111A

QuoteBattery indicator not working, also no percent shown only icon (confirmed & thought this was normal for Alpha's thus far or no?)
Anyone confirmed that the shown percent value matches real life value? Anyways it will be enabled in next update

QuoteCan't move spotmeter, magic zoom point while in manual focus on lens (Confirmed it does NOT move while in manual focus aka Nikon Lens, etc)
Big deal? guess we can't get this working with the next update...

QuoteWhile recording RAW video pressing menu button causes camera to black screen, then crash, didn't have to remove battery just restarted, recording lost. Pretty much a non issue since once you know about it you just dont hit it, not really a reason to/you arent usually able to, but, figured i'd mention it since i accidentally did it.
might be due to MLV snd? Can you check with disabled sound?

QuoteTrap Focus: Works as expected but doesn't work if LiveView is on and don't remember if it worked previously with it on?
Trap focus only works in photo mode. Not LV. It's not a bug on 70D but depends on properties which aren't available on 70D. This is also hindering some magic zoom features / options. But there's an orange colored text on menu option which states that Trap focus doesn't work on LV. So it is not a bug.

Auto Exposure Module: This one seems strange because I'm still trying to investigate on this one further before I can explain this into details. It just seems like it doesn't act properly while in LV but other than that it seems OK?
Next update will have fps override disabled and therefore switch back to APEX units. Sorry can't deal with pages of vertical banding reports for now. Then ettr needs to be re-checked. It will work slower but more accurate (I hope so)

QuoteMovie Crop: OK Although not a big deal but it should be possible to assign this into a hot key one of these days?
An enhancement request we will later look into again. But that time we should have been merge into unified branch and gotten official nightly.

Movie Crop: Follow Focus seems to have trouble staying on Subject while in this mode. Still investigating.
Huh? Follow focus isn't available on last release. Focus box is fixed. Can't be moved. Read on here and let me know what is really buggy.
-Dual iso video mode: Not working as expected.
Same for 50D / 7D. Atm there's not much I can do. We will have to look at that again some time later in future. But it's not a bug. In movie mode the menu option dualiso definitely prints an orange colored message that it will not work!!

Quote-FPS-Override 24p MLV/RAW: OK

-FPS-Override 6 fps & Under: Vertical Banding showing as expected.

-FPS-Override 60p MVL: Somewhat OK

-FPS-Override 60p RAW: OK
As written above: can't deal with banding reports as I have no solution. I wanna have the build as stable as possible. We will deal with that at a later time in future. There's hope that we will get it to work in future.
Also @nikfreak let me know if you would like or need video clips of certain modules or tweaks on 70D.111B -- Thanks, mate!
No, this time no need. Your vids really helped me much until now. With next update you could maybe expand / sum-up the list with "OK" fillings (excluding missing features. See my comments above for "it's not a bug") so I can update the 1st page. Not a must, just if you or anyone has time! Semi-solved. We just update the "What's not working section" on 1st post from now on.

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

crirus

Hi

Anyone knows if it's possible to set the focusing speed with ML and limit ISO max value when set to Auto Iso?

Thank you

JohnnyG_71

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on August 20, 2015, 08:54:39 AM

-FPS-Override 6 fps & Under: Vertical Banding showing as expected.

@DeafEyeJedi:  Admittedly, I haven't tried FPS Overrive *above* 6fps....  Are you saying that the vertical pattern stripes don't occur at 7fps and above?
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

camslide

Quote from: crirus on August 20, 2015, 03:26:23 PM
Hi

Anyone knows if it's possible to set the focusing speed with ML and limit ISO max value when set to Auto Iso?

Thank you
You can adjust both in Canon menu. Read the manual for further information.
70D.112

crirus

Quote from: camslide on August 20, 2015, 03:33:31 PM
You can adjust both in Canon menu. Read the manual for further information.

Actually I did, and iso range is not working on video mode, it crank up iso to 6400 if needed.
As far as focus I am talking about adjustment speed (rack focus speed) not reaction speed on subject moves.

Thanks

OlRivrRat

@JohnnyG_71 & @DeafEyeJedi & @NikFreak

Just tested FPS-Overide @ 7, 8, 9, 10 - H264 From 24All-I & I get Vert' Streaks @ 7 & 8 but Not @ 9 & 10 ~

It seems a shame to disable a Very Useful Function because it displays an issue in a Very Small (Possibly even Seldom Used) Portion of its Functional Abilities.

It could be argued that if that path is to be followed, the whole ML Project should be disabled because it has a few bugs.

Why not just make note of the issue in "What's Not Working" & move on to other Fixable Stuff.
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

chrisfrancia

I tested the camera crash when pushing menu while raw recording issue further and discovered that it only happens with mlv raw, with and without mlv audio turned on. The camera also does not crash when recording raw (not mlv) and you forget to turn off mlv audio.

Let me know if theres anything else i can do to help :)

PS, if you realize you have created this situation where you will crash and try to turn off the camera before exiting from the canon menu you will actually still crash when you turn the camera back on. Never know what might help so i figured id mention it
[5D3 1.2.3 ML] [6D 1.1.6 ML]

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: chrisfrancia on August 20, 2015, 06:44:31 PM
I tested the camera crash when pushing menu while raw recording issue further and discovered that it only happens with mlv raw, with and without mlv audio turned on. The camera also does not crash when recording raw (not mlv) and you forget to turn off mlv audio.

Confirmed and thanks @nikfreak for forcing me to double check that once again. With mlv audio enabled off and recording in RAW while pressing Menu does NOT crash the camera. If recording RAW with mlv audio enabled ON -- it will crash and same goes for if recording in MLV with or without mlv audio.

As I'm getting ready to head out for work -- during downtime I'll go over your questions and will confirm with you as soon as I can.

Quote from: JohnnyG_71 on August 20, 2015, 03:32:23 PM
@DeafEyeJedi:  Admittedly, I haven't tried FPS Overrive *above* 6fps....  Are you saying that the vertical pattern stripes don't occur at 7fps and above?

Will get back to you on that during downtime at work. Thanks @johnnyG_71 for the heads up.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

TechnoPilot

Quote from: OlRivrRat on August 20, 2015, 06:22:45 PM
      @JohnnyG_71 & @DeafEyeJedi & @NikFreak

Just tested FPS-Overide @ 7, 8, 9, 10 - H264 From 24All-I & I get Vert' Streaks @ 7 & 8 but Not @ 9 & 10 ~

It seems a shame to disable a Very Useful Function because it displays an issue in a Very Small (Possibly even Seldom Used) Portion of its Functional Abilities.

It could be argued that if that path is to be followed, the whole ML Project should be disabled because it has a few bugs.

Why not just make note of the issue in "What's Not Working" & move on to other Fixable Stuff.
I quite heartedly agree OlRivrRat, it would be a real shame to disable this feature when I feel it is quite useful and usable in its current state, though I do understand your sentiment on not wanting to hear about banding issues.  I would however point out that the 70D is not the only camera to experience it and it seems to be present even in the 5DIII build from the research I've seen on the banding issue.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

Guys, disabling it for next update doesn't mean it will be completely lost. Check again my post. I stated there's hope but really all fps features you tried til now were based upon the timer_A. I never got timer_B (needed for exact fps, 180d...) to work. But there's a way I got timer_B to work. The adtg module has an option to force low fps and that works by only using timer_b. To find a proper solution or at least a hint I have to talk to a1ex at a later time and this is why I will disable it on next update. It will be back again once I get timer_B to work! Then, fps override will be back and that time fully featured w/o dirty implementation. At the actual state it was rather hacky but always prepared for a merge into unified. Think of it seeing it from the ML codebase's view. 70D wouldn't be enough to justify some dirty implementation, right? So let's focus on making the build as stable as possible. Work on 70D will continue. Now and also in future....

btw: hdr video has been confirmed by DeafEyejedi to work.so will be back again with next update as well as gradual exposure and atm I am also re-investigatin bitrate options...

TechnoPilot

Quote from: nikfreak on August 20, 2015, 09:22:36 PM
Guys, disabling it for next update doesn't mean it will be completely lost. Check again my post. I stated there's hope but really all fps features you tried til now were based upon the timer_A. I never got timer_B (needed for exact fps, 180d...) to work. But there's a way I got timer_B to work. The adtg module has an option to force low fps and that works by only using timer_b. To find a proper solution or at least a hint I have to talk to a1ex at a later time and this is why I will disable it on next update. It will be back again once I get timer_B to work! Then, fps override will be back and that time fully featured w/o dirty implementation. At the actual state it was rather hacky but always prepared for a merge into unified. Think of it seeing it from the ML codebase's view. 70D wouldn't be enough to justify some dirty implementation, right? So let's focus on making the build as stable as possible. Work on 70D will continue. Now and also in future....

btw: hdr video has been confirmed by DeafEyejedi to work.so will be back again with next update as well as gradual exposure and atm I am also re-investigatin bitrate options...
Okay, awesome to hear Nikfreak!  See you give us features we like and we tend to panic when you hint at maybe taking them away. [emoji14]

It makes sense though what you mentioned and I have to give you kudos on your work around using timer A then, as it felt quite solid and not at all cludged together.

Awesome to hear that the HDR and gradual exposure features will be coming back in the next build, I can't wait! :)

Amazing work as always Nikfreak, thank you for all the hard work and time you put into this port for the 70D!
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

Ley

hey,

How can i enable Audio Monitoring through usb with the current(15.Aug) version? I cannot find the settings as shown here: https://youtu.be/yo8IoJi1ZvI?t=2m21s
I thought it comes with the mlv-sounds update...
Am i doing something wrong or is it not available yet?

thanks.

Ley

aedipuss

@ ley - sorry but if you look on the ml audio menu the only thing implemented at this time is mlv sound for recording audio with raw mlv video.
canon 600d
canon 60d - Nightly.2016Apr17.60D111
canon 70d - 112

aedipuss

@nikfreak - tried hdr video.  all frames the same.  for some reason the hdr ml settings say iso 0/0,4ev instead of iso 100/1600,4.0ev like on my 60d.  tried at both 1920x1080 all-i and 1280x720 all-i.

the hdr option in the menu turns green when it is selected but it's a dull green not like other items that are on.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

TechnoPilot

Quote from: aedipuss on August 22, 2015, 06:59:19 PM
@nikfreak - tried hdr video.  all frames the same.  for some reason the hdr ml settings say iso 0/0,4ev instead of iso 100/1600,4.0ev like on my 60d.  tried at both 1920x1080 all-i and 1280x720 all-i.

the hdr option in the menu turns green when it is selected but it's a dull green not like other items that are on.
That sounds like you are trying to take it in h264 codec and not raw, remember it only works in raw.

aedipuss

LOL that would be it.  thought it was implemented for normal video like for other ml versions.  oh well...  the change log only said -bring back hdr video- didn't know it was only for raw video.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112

DeafEyeJedi

Doesn't show HDR option on ML menu and it only may be affecting the 111.B versions?

Also Image-Fine tuning doesn't show Shutter adjustment options when I thought it worked on earlier build?

I'll do video demo today at work since I'm on stand by all day so have plenty of free time.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: TechnoPilot on August 22, 2015, 07:03:13 PM
That sounds like you are trying to take it in h264 codec and not raw, remember it only works in raw.

HDR video is way older than RAW/MLV video. If there was information given about 70D HDR video function limited to RAW/MLV I missed to find this post.

nikfreak

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on August 22, 2015, 07:12:21 PM
... and it only be affecting the 111.B versions?

Updated 1st post! Please install and testdrive...

Walter Schulz

@nikfreak: "What's not working" needs adjustment:
"HDR video is completely disabled"

TechnoPilot

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 22, 2015, 07:14:07 PM
HDR video is way older than RAW/MLV video. If there was information given about 70D HDR video function limited to RAW/MLV I missed to find this post.
Well my miss understanding then, but was always under the impression that the HDR processing had to be done in post and not in realtime in the camera, this certainly cannot be done in post on an h264 compressed image.

DeafEyeJedi

@nikfreak:

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading Beta-1 and will report back asap.

@Everyone:

As far as I'm concerned if I can recall correctly that HDR can be recorded in either h264 or RAW/MLV just as long as you shoot in slo-mo such as 48, 50 or 60 fps.

RAW looks really nice, actually from my experience.

Post workflow is rather easy if you are on a Mac since I use @Danne's cr2hdr-r which works flawlessly for both h264 & MLV/RAW.

Walter Schulz

@TechnoPilot: I think you are getting it wrong.
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#hdr_video
Some essential links are outdated and tools unsupported at time of writing, though.

aedipuss

HDR video records in h264 fine in other ML cameras like the 60D i own.  still not working in 70D at all.  reloaded the beta-1 from page 1 and still not working in 1080p30 and 720p60.
canon 600d
canon 70d - 112