600D Doesn't turn on with SD card in slot

Started by uniquoooo, January 14, 2015, 09:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniquoooo

Hi

I have a 600D that used to have ML on it. I was having some issues with it not turning on at all even without the SD card and it just needed a new battery. Now, with the fully charged battery, I can turn the camera on without an SD card in but as soon as I put an SD card in it won't turn on and I have to take out the SD card and reinsert the battery. I was told I needed to flash ML onto my SD card, how can I do this?

I was running a nightly version, can't remember what one.

Thanks

dmilligan

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 12, 2015, 09:40:36 PM
Insert card into cardreader. Delete ML directory and Autoexec.bin (if there, of course). Copy extracted nightly build files to card. Retry and report.

uniquoooo

Walter Schulz

Do not format the card! Just do as adviced!

uniquoooo

This is a new SD card, I formatted it to use it with other things.

Walter Schulz

And you insert that card and the cam doesn't start at all?
What do you used to format it?

Walter Schulz

You did not answer this one: When you insert this card the cam won't startup at all.
Yes or no?
LED not activated/blinking during startup?

uniquoooo

When I insert a SD card nothing happens, no LED. I have to take it out and reinsert battery to get it to turn, but then I can't take pictures.

Walter Schulz

Copy extracted nightly contents (Autoexec.bin and ML directory) to card and try again.

uniquoooo

Didn't do anything. The card is formatted as FAT32

Walter Schulz

Format card with NTFS on Windows 8.
Insert card into cam. You will be asked to format it. Do so.
Download EOScard http://pel.hu/eoscard and enable bootcard option as shown on Pelican's web page.
Check card if ML directory and Autoexec.bin are there. If so: Delete them and copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
Retry and report.

uniquoooo

I formatted it and put it into the camera and still, didn't turn on. I will try the EOScard thing now

uniquoooo

Walter Schulz

Insert card into cardreader, startup EOScard. Same error?
Try again starting EOScard as Administrator.
Same error?
Card type? Capacity?

uniquoooo

Ok, I formatted the SD card to FAT and it showed up in EOScard. What do I do from here?

Card type is an SDHC and 4GB.

Walter Schulz

Insert card into cam and format there.
Then use EOScard, click on ML logo, make sure to have "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK" checkboxes activated and press Save button. Close EOScard.
Proceed as in first reply.

uniquoooo

I can't format with camera as it doesn't  turn on with an sd card in

Walter Schulz

Do you have another card you can test inside your cam? You don't have to install anything, just insert card and startup cam.

uniquoooo

Yeah, I have tried that and it still didn't work.

Walter Schulz

THen: Mechanical/electrical error inside your cam.

uniquoooo

dmilligan

jurojuro

Hi uniquoooo,

Did you solve the problem with 600d? I have exactly the same problem.

Thankful any advises!

Walter Schulz

Most of the time when someone writes "Same here" it is just another thing ...

Remove card, remove battery. Insert battery.
Q: Does cam startup without card?
If so: Does cam startup with card formated in cardreader?
If so: Format card in cam, make card bootable with EOSdisk/Macboot, delete card's content (don't format!) and copy extracted nightly build contents to card.

If your cam doesn't work this way please describe in detail what happens at which step and error messages/status and card used. Eye-Fi cards are considered incompatible with ML: