Walimex Rigs

Started by Kharak, January 12, 2015, 02:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

I've been looking for a rig for quite some time, but I always find them to be ridiculously expensive.. Like 2x MK III expensive and I simply don't wanna spend that kind of cheddar on a rig.

I am in Wien these days and walked me past a store window selling video gear, saw a Walimex Directors rig for about 900 euro and a Walimex Rig Set Basic 1 for 499 Euro, found exactly same price on the internet and will probably save money if I buy it in the store because of no delivery.. I really like the Rig Set basic 1, it has mattebox, follow focus and its a shoulder mount also and just looks like a smaller version of the Directors one..

But is walimex any good as a rig??

Not much to read about this particular rig, only find stuff about some other models from walimex, some Modularis or something like that.

If anyone has any experience with Walimex (not the lenses, they are okey) then please chip in.

Rig set basic 1: https://www.google.at/search?q=walimex+rig+set+basic+1&client=firefox-a&hs=3G1&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=O2F8G1TvLHc-4M%253A%253Bg_ZCOiTLrUpJTM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.fotomundus24.de%25252Fshop%25252Fwalimex-video-3tlg-basic-p-20369.html%25253FosCsid%2525253D61j6iuf3b39s2ruco2hm0vqag7&source=iu&pf=m&fir=O2F8G1TvLHc-4M%253A%252Cg_ZCOiTLrUpJTM%252C_&usg=__5XpeeKP4BLuWqFueCYJXK4H8Xzk%3D&biw=1360&bih=631&ved=0CCwQyjc&ei=3MazVKX1BKHgyQOirYHgDQ

Pros and cons.
once you go raw you never go back

DFM

The "Walimex Rig Set Basic" is the same Chinese non-brand setup that world+dog sells on eBay for around €150 (Fotga, eimo, ProDSLR, etc). The thing they call a matte box just.. isn't. The rods are usable but the clamps tend to snap if you overdo things. Don't waste your money.

I agree you can easily spend four figures on a rig, but you need to work out what you actually need it to do (now and in the future). Do you intend to use the matte box as designed, to hold square filters, or just as a sunshade? Changing lenses often? Swing-away matte box would help for that. Room to attach a monitor, audio recorder, Atomos, V-lock battery, etc? Convertible from shoulder rig to tripod mount or caddy cage? Do you actually need a follow focus for the style of shooting you're doing? Rather than buying an all-in-one kit, most pros get a good quality but very basic rod system, then add components to build something to their own spec. It doesn't have to be hugely expensive if you steer clear of the top names.

No connection to them, but compare the Walimex stuff to the Filmcity FC-03 (around €300 on eBay) - that has a matte box that can actually take filters, and a counterweighted shoulder (you'll deeply regret a rig without a counterweight after the first 60 seconds). It's still plastic in places - you'd not get an all-metal rig for this price range - but I know which I'd prefer to use.

Kharak

Thank you for your reply, DFM

I had these comments in mind while looking closer at the rig

The rig in the store, even though it had the same name as the one I posted a link to here, had more features and I was quite impressed with it for the price.

So I decided to buy it today, even though it didn't have counterweights, yes that can get heavy but I got nice stuff. Got baseplate (for free) for my monopod, so the rig is supported by monopod and I can do a shoulder mount-monopod hybrid thing that I have been playing with today.

Got mattebox with 2x slots for filters and one of them is 360 rotatible.

Follow focus

and I can mount the entire rig on my baseplate for my Tripod and quickly release it with the baseplate, if it I want to shoulder mount.

I thought a lot about the counterweights, but looking at the construction I feel very confident that I will be able to order the walimex or some other counterweights with standard rods and mount them, I dont care much for pretty when it comes to stuff like this, I will duck tape it on if I have to. As long as it works.

One big con that I need to figure out, is to get a top handle.. Haven't really looked in to that either, but I think I can manage it.

So far I have not been disapointed, just hope the clamps and stuff don't start breaking..
once you go raw you never go back